Author Topic: NTSB and cell phones  (Read 3852 times)

Offline Castaway

• Likes the place
NTSB and cell phones
« on: December 13, 2011, 06:27:23 PM »
If I am reading this new stuff correct there is basically going to be a mandate for all vehicles to have bluetooth installed.  If your bluetooth device is not factory installed it is illegal to use when driving.  Am I understanding this correctly? 

If so this is one more thing to drive up the cost of vehicles and yet another law we will pour who knows what into instead of throwing the book at people who drive under the influence of a phone. 

charlesoakwood

Re: NTSB and cell phones
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 07:16:03 PM »

Been shopping for a new one lately and it seems that not
buying a car with blue tooth would require one to order it
that way, much as it would necessitate ordering a car with-
out A/C.  They just come that way.

Offline Castaway

• Likes the place
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 07:55:41 PM »
My little 2011 commuter doesn't have it.  I can add it for 350.00.  I use a jawbone type headset or I can run it through my Garmin.  Both of those would be illegal according to this new deal. 

I paid 18,200.00 for my lil chit box.  I does have AC and most the other BASIC creature comforts.  Finding a car with a 6 speed manual was tougher than pulling hens teeth.  I've had it 11 months and 28K miles, somehow managed not to run over anything yet...knock on wood.  ::whoohoo::

If you took the mandatory air bags out which have not proven to save many lives per million dollars coma red to the lowly seat belt, about half of the nanny state OBD computer tracking crap out of the onboard computers the car may have cost 13K and still got me back and forth to work just fine? 

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 08:55:59 PM »
Oh please.  My truck's a 2000 leftover.  I wanted a manual tranny but apparently the engineers couldn't manage that and seats that moved up close enough to the pedals -- 4' 10" here -- so I settled for the automatic.

I've got the mandated airbag, which, considering how close up I have to sit, will have it either smash my sunglasses into my eyes or injure me in another way if it has cause to inflate.

Thank you NHTS Administration.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 09:43:51 PM »
My little 2011 commuter doesn't have it.  I can add it for 350.00.  I use a jawbone type headset or I can run it through my Garmin.  Both of those would be illegal according to this new deal. 

I paid 18,200.00 for my lil chit box.  I does have AC and most the other BASIC creature comforts.  Finding a car with a 6 speed manual was tougher than pulling hens teeth.  I've had it 11 months and 28K miles, somehow managed not to run over anything yet...knock on wood.  ::whoohoo::

If you took the mandatory air bags out which have not proven to save many lives per million dollars coma red to the lowly seat belt, about half of the nanny state OBD computer tracking crap out of the onboard computers the car may have cost 13K and still got me back and forth to work just fine? 

What is it?
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 10:48:06 AM »
My spec has it.  It came with keyless operation, and some controls on the steering wheel.  That was 2008.  I'd imagine it's pretty universal, now.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 11:43:31 AM »
One more thing for Big Fugly Brother to exploit...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 12:21:56 PM »
When do they mandate that any vehicle without "Factory Installed Blue-Tooth" must be destroyed to save lives? 

They could not get the older cars out of service with pollution controls, not they are gunning for communication controls.

Anyone that comes for my 1969 Firebird better have a bullet proof vest or be better armed than me.
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 03:20:50 PM »
. . .
I paid 18,200.00 for my lil chit box.  I does have AC and most the other BASIC creature comforts.  Finding a car with a 6 speed manual was tougher than pulling hens teeth.  I've had it 11 months and 28K miles, somehow managed not to run over anything yet...knock on wood. 
. . .

You know, it's so sweet that you are driving a light weight commuter vehicle and you are worried about running OVER something.

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 04:47:48 PM »
. . .
I paid 18,200.00 for my lil chit box.  I does have AC and most the other BASIC creature comforts.  Finding a car with a 6 speed manual was tougher than pulling hens teeth.  I've had it 11 months and 28K miles, somehow managed not to run over anything yet...knock on wood. 
. . .

You know, it's so sweet that you are driving a light weight commuter vehicle and you are worried about running OVER something.

He said in a Suth'n accent, the "Bless yore heart" implied but not articulated.  ::angel::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 05:41:09 PM »
OK Pandy, you just had to make me do it:

In a Yugo
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 05:41:29 PM »
. . .
. . .

That has got to be a Chevy Sonic or a Cruze. Nice cars for the purpose of getting there for little money.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 05:51:59 PM »
I get 28 mph on the highway in my '93 Fox Body Mustang 4 cyl., 5-speed.

Damn straight I worry bout somebody runnin my ass over . . .
--------------

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 07:33:21 PM »
I get 28 mpg on the highway in my 2006 Corvette Convertible.  If they can catch me I deserve to get my ass run over!
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 07:43:06 PM »
I get 28 mpg on the highway in my 2006 Corvette Convertible.  If they can catch me I deserve to get my ass run over!
I get 35 with my 91 M6 but I had to seriously mod the engine to get that 390hp(335 at the wheels)
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 07:49:39 PM »
  I get 29 MPG in my 2000 Grand Prix and lord hep those I tangle with.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 11:09:03 PM »
I would get better mileage if I didn't have an addiction to spooling the turbocharger. The onboard computer has a mode that shows current mileage and I've tried driving it around so that the number stays as high as possible. I simply cannot crawl away from stop lights like that. I'll pay the 3.50 a gallon.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 12:03:30 AM »
The day I buy a vehicle for the gas mileage is the day I'll just travel by bike.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2011, 02:13:19 AM »
They include $5000.00 worth of $hit I don't want as "standard" and I can't get a frigging $20.00 ashtray !  ::gaah::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 12:29:31 PM »
At least I was able to get an ashtray in mine.  I wanted a manual transmission with a power seat (in order to reach the pedals); apparently the engineering geniusii at Ford couldn't manage the combo.