Author Topic: Light Bulb Ban...It's Here (Thanks, Idiot Republicans)  (Read 7088 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Light Bulb Ban...It's Here (Thanks, Idiot Republicans)
« on: December 16, 2011, 07:49:31 AM »
LINK

The shutdown-averting budget bill will block federal light bulb efficiency standards, giving a win to House Republicans fighting the so-called ban on incandescent light bulbs.

GOP and Democratic sources tell POLITICO the final omnibus bill includes a rider defunding the Energy Department's standards for traditional incandescent light bulbs to be 30 percent more energy efficient.

I'll still never have to buy another bulb.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 03:19:32 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Light Bulb Ban Yanked
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 07:58:57 AM »
Yup, I'm pretty set too. I might run out in 20 years or so. Probably need to stock up on just a couple more cases.

ETA: If you've considered purchasing bulk bulbs from Amazon because of the links at AoSHQ or Instapundit, purchase them knowing this: The reviews from people claiming that the bulbs do not seem to have been quality control checked are TRUE. I purchased several cases of 24 Sylvania bulbs - 100, 60, & 40 watt. Sylvania is normally a reliable brand. I don't know if it's the way Amazon packages them for shipment (seems a bit unprotected to me), or if these are factory seconds, or if they are generic bulbs with the Sylvania name on them, or what. But I went through each case and inspected each bulb because of the reviews I read, and in each case of 24, there were one or two bulbs that had the filament disconnected from one of the pole wires. No fix for that, they're junk. So a case of 24 bulbs was really a case of 22 or 23.

As a consumer, I was left with the choice of going through the hassle and time of returning several cases of bulbs and making sure I got credit, or eating the loss, so I ate the loss. The end result is that my value per bulb probably ended up not being a net gain over just going to the store and buying them there.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 08:23:10 AM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 08:05:46 AM »
Wow, y'all bought more than me!  I can last only 6-7 years!  ;D

But...not that these asshats couldn't sneak the ban into another bill sometime in the dark of night...we know how these vile creatures operate...they are two-legged cockroaches...hard to kill and they sneak around everywhere!!!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 08:08:12 AM »
Wait a minute!  Another horrific thought entered my head...what did the Repub's have to give up in order to have this?

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 10:03:06 AM »
Wait a minute!  Another horrific thought entered my head...what did the Repub's have to give up in order to have this?

Endless $1.6 trillion deficits.   Now go back to staring at the shiny (incandescent!) lights.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 11:24:34 AM »

Endless $1.6 trillion deficits.   Now go back to staring at the shiny (incandescent!) lights.

::gaah::

::cussing::

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 12:36:34 PM »
It aint signed yet!
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 12:56:32 PM »
Grateful for small mercies.

How about an outright repeal, now, creating the opportunity for a new company to take up the manufacture without fear of losing its shirt in case the "standards" are reinstated.  Or is that asking too much?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 01:05:51 PM »

And you weren't kidding either; I just heard on the "news" that Congress is working on a ONE TRILLION DOLLAR SPENDING BILL.

Un @#$ believable.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 01:39:18 PM »
Yes, no shutdown, the RINO's always wet themselves at the very thought of a shutdown...they'll throw their own mother under the bus and let 'em throw it reverse to hit her again before they let a shutdown happen...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 01:47:53 PM by Libertas »

charlesoakwood

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 01:41:07 PM »

How about an outright repeal, now, creating the opportunity for a new company to take up the manufacture without fear of losing its shirt in case the "standards" are reinstated.  Or is that asking too much?

Remember the video about the last plant (GE)in US closing and the
last employees given the opportunity to go to the new out of country
GE plant? ETA: to train the new workforce

Yeah, we need a start up lightbulb company and they know where to
find a ready-to-go crew to man it.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 01:48:51 PM »

How about an outright repeal, now, creating the opportunity for a new company to take up the manufacture without fear of losing its shirt in case the "standards" are reinstated.  Or is that asking too much?

Remember the video about the last plant (GE)in US closing and the
last employees given the opportunity to go to the new out of country
GE plant? ETA: to train the new workforce

Yeah, we need a start up lightbulb company and they know where to
find a ready-to-go crew to man it.

Yep, I remember hearing it reported that the last plant closed, which is what prompted my post.

How mind-boggling is it that we don't even make light bulbs any longer.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 02:41:48 PM »
Boyoboy, Politico author Samuelsohn not tooooo biased, is he?  Too bad he left out some basic facts because he was busily quoting those who are bemoaning our lack of commitment to energy conservation and environmentalism.

Some of those facts ...

Tucked into the giant 1,200-page omnibus spending bill passed by Congress Thursday night is a provision that prevents the government from spending any money to enforce the light bulb ban. This is effectively a reprieve for the 100 watt, but only temporarily, for the next fiscal year.

The bill does not overturn the light bulb ban, so it will still be law, and it’s likely that some more politically correct retailers will not stock them. And don’t expect any new incandescent light bulb factories to open; America’s last one closed a year ago. Unless congress blocks enforcement funding again a year from now, just try finding them in 2013.

So the battle to save the 100 watt bulb is not over.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/christopherhelman/2011/12/16/congress-kills-light-bulb-ban-sort-of/

So, like I wrote, nothing is dead, just delayed until .....

charlesoakwood

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 02:52:15 PM »

Oh faint of heart could it be we need a Grinch?
That we need a Grinch who can throw a wrench.
Throw a wrench into all these gears and jamb
them to a stop.

hemm

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 04:43:21 PM »
It aint signed yet!

and it only pushed it off to next year if what I am reading at GWPundit is right........

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2011/12/congress-reverses-light-bulb-ban-not/

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2011, 08:10:14 AM »
Yes, there is no way any company will bring manufacturing online just on the basis of temporarily denied funding for the ban's enforcement. Full repeal is the only thing that will reverse this particular idiocy.

An iconic American invention, so deeply associated with technological progress that it has become a shorthand symbol for the very concept of bright new ideas, banned with the stroke of a pen.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2011, 10:59:24 AM »
An iconic American invention, so deeply associated with technological progress that it has become a shorthand symbol for the very concept of bright new ideas, banned with the stroke of a pen.

George W. Bush's pen, no less.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2011, 12:37:26 PM »

George W. Bush's pen, no less.

Exactly.  Schmuck.  "Compassionate conservative" my ass.  Same goes for Upton, the E-GOP who helped push it through.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2011, 12:49:10 PM »
LINK

The shutdown-averting budget bill will block federal light bulb efficiency standards, giving a win to House Republicans fighting the so-called ban on incandescent light bulbs.

GOP and Democratic sources tell POLITICO the final omnibus bill includes a rider defunding the Energy Department's standards for traditional incandescent light bulbs to be 30 percent more energy efficient.

I'll still never have to buy another bulb.

If they can defund DOE's standards for traditional incandescent light bulbs
why can't they defund the EPA's standards for permitting, or drilling, or coal
mining?  Is it because too many voters are busy watching Dancing With the Stars
to GAS, but that 100 watt bulb is necessary to read the sports page or light
up the kitchen?

What kind of 2x4 is needed to get these people's attention?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2011, 05:00:43 PM »
What kind of 2x4 is needed to get these people's attention?

I'm thinking more along the lines of something in a tubular shape and made of metal...