Author Topic: That Stuff You Ordered Weeks Ago from Best Buy? It’s Not Coming  (Read 1315 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
I've been seeing Best Buy Christmas ads on TV whereby the characters are mocking and humiliating Santa Claus.  I already dislike Best Buy and don't shop there, so this just pure disgusts me.

Now this:

Talk about dropping the ball. Best Buy waited until as late as this week — mere days before Christmas — to admit that it’s not going to be able to fulfill the online orders placed by some customers. These are customers, by the way, who made their purchases around Thanksgiving weekend, more than three weeks ago.

How many customers — make that former customers, most likely — has Best Buy let down? The retailer won’t say. But it did release an apology, stating:

“Due to overwhelming demand of hot product offerings on BestBuy.com during the November and December time period, we have encountered a situation that has affected redemption of some of our customers’ online orders. We are very sorry for the inconvenience this has caused, and we have notified the affected customers.”

In other words: Whoops! Our bad. Happy holidays!

Why did Best Buy wait so long to fess up? Why did it accept the orders for laptops, digital cameras, video games and other out-of-stock items in the first place? That info, like the exact number of affected customers, hasn’t been made public.

But the news of Best Buy’s holiday-season failure is spreading quickly, and it will surely be remembered by plenty of affected and nonaffected consumers alike. Here’s an analysis courtesy of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, which covers Minnesota-based Best Buy closely:

“Personal disappointment will go along with this, and it will be remembered,” said Dave Brennan, co-director of the Institute for Retailing Excellence at the University of St. Thomas. “From a publicity standpoint, this is devastating. You have to ask yourself, ‘Are people likely to go back to the same source or go to other sources the next time?’”

The article goes on to say that items are not back-ordered, but that orders were canceled.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

Re: That Stuff You Ordered Weeks Ago from Best Buy? It’s Not Coming
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 09:20:40 PM »

Shop WalMart, if you can't buy it online at WalMart you don't need it.

Paranoid about using your credit card, don't worry, you don't need to.
Simply go to your favorite WalMart and purchase a gift card for the
amount of your chosen item, then go online and use that card.

Presto, on the next delivery day or soon thereafter you will receive an
email saying your merchandise is at the store. Or for a little extra you
may have it delivered to your home.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 12:04:24 AM »
I ordered a movie for 99 cents and free shipping on Thanksgiving from BB.  It showed up 3 weeks later.  I figured I wasn't getting it so I was surprised when it did come.

I made a purchase from a toy company I've been buying from for years a little over 2 weeks ago. I always get my stuff in a week.  I called.  The item is backordered until February.  I was aggravated--no email to tell me.  I don't want it in Feb!  I cancelled it.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 12:17:35 AM »
My younger boy ordered a drum kit and a separate snare drum from Guitar Center in August. The kit came a couple weeks later, but the snare didn't. They told us the snare would be back ordered until last week in October. Since he ordered the one he wanted, and he already had an older starter snare to play on, he decided to just wait it out. The beginning of November came and went, so I called. They told me then that the snare was back ordered until March.

I bitched up a storm, needless to say. My obvious question was, "You sold me the kit without telling me it would back order. Then when it back ordered you told me it would come in October. Now in NOvember you're telling me March. Upon what evidence am I supposed to believe that March will not come and you'll tell me it's back ordered for several more months?"

I expressed my disgust, and worked my way up the customer service chain. I eventually got someone who told me that because of the economy, retailers are not keeping inventory, so when there does happen to be a run on a particular item, they back order quickly. I ended up getting them to agree to a better snare drum than the one we ordered, for less money.

But while we can scorn retailers for overpromising, we should save a portion for Barack Hussein Obama and his economy. Best Buy, Guitar Center, and everyone else, have had sand thrown in their gears by the barrel for three years and counting.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 12:28:14 AM »
This is the new world in which we live.  Back ordered?  There isn't enough inventory in stock and while Obama comes in for his share of the blame, it's not just here in the US -- how could it be?  What do we really manufacture any longer?

No, this is the way of the world now.  In October I ordered something that had nothing to do with Christmas.  First, it was "back ordered until the middle of November"; then it was, at the end of November, "respond if you still want this order", which I did.  It came 12 days later.

The whole world is stuttering.  Christmas has just complicated things.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 01:25:44 AM »

We drive the world, if we go in the ditch...

hmmm,
          inflation has more money chasing goods and services - there are no shortages but
          an increase in prices.
          deflation or depression has less goods and services at lower cost and no money to
          chase them.
          stagflation has less money chasing fewer but more expensive goods and services.
[blockquote]
http://www.forbes.com/sites/panosmourdoukoutas/2011/12/04/china-is-heading-for-stagflation/
Economists use the term “stagflation” to describe an economy that experiences high inflation while its growth falters—a paradoxical term, as inflation and economic growth are usually positively correlated. [/blockquote]
Paradoxical, yes, the world is upside down.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 02:37:59 AM »
Backorders are high because production ( across the board ) has been down . Retailers aren't going to tell you in hopes that you'll simply wait and not cancel the order . They were well aware ahead of thime that many of these orders couldn't be filled even as they advertised the products .

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 02:53:17 AM »
Backorders are high because production ( across the board ) has been down . Retailers aren't going to tell you in hopes that you'll simply wait and not cancel the order . They were well aware ahead of thime (sic) that many of these orders couldn't be filled even as they advertised the products .

Yep.  What does THAT tell you?

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 04:23:29 AM »
COME ON PEOPLE! THE DAMN CHINESE ARE WORKING AND SWEATING AS HARD AS THEY CAN TO PRODUCE YOUR ORDERS!
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 05:44:05 AM »
Yes, America, you got what you desired, a recession that would last not just 18 months, but 48 months and counting. How musch longer do you desire it to last?

Can't have a successful former CEO as POTUS, but we simply must have a community organizer insteadbecause he's articuate??????????? Damn, people are so effing stupid. ::facepalm::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 08:33:21 AM »
I've never got why order from a bricks @morter over Amazon.  7% off the top adds up.

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2011, 09:54:10 AM »
Shopping locally this year keeping the monies closer to home. ::cool::
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2011, 10:10:50 AM »
COME ON PEOPLE! THE DAMN CHINESE ARE WORKING AND SWEATING AS HARD AS THEY CAN TO PRODUCE YOUR ORDERS!

::hysterical::

Where's my order?!

::hanging::

Getting your cash is all that matters...

::moneyshaker::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2011, 11:35:08 AM »
I guess my experiences have been atypical then. In the last year I've made many online purchases, pursuing several divergent projects. Virtually all have been within US borders but from outfits all across the country.

I do check to make certain that the item(s) I purchase show as 'in stock' before committing to the sale and I have been known to call sales to confirm.

With the notable exception of things shipped via USPS everything has arrived in a timely fashion - often exceeding my expectations.

...just lucky I guess  :supercool:

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2011, 11:48:43 AM »
I've never got why order from a bricks @morter over Amazon.  7% off the top adds up.

I love Amazon. I have their Prime membership, so I get 2-day delivery for no cost, or 1-day for $3.99. I put their PriceScan app on my phone and if I see something in a store that catches my eye, quickly snap a picture of the barcode and see what Amazon sells it for. It's usually much less.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2011, 11:55:10 AM »
Yep, although you have to be careful with Amazon since they often act as intermediaries instead of principle sellers.

I placed an order for several items that appeared to all be from the same seller - they weren't. The shipping was almost four times what it would have been had it been a consolidated shipment. My mistake and one that cost me an extra $40.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2011, 04:47:29 PM »
"I do check to make certain that the item(s) I purchase show as 'in stock' before committing to the sale and I have been known to call sales to confirm. "

::thumbsup::

Sometimes that doesn't always work either, but better to check than not.

I've stuck with people I've ordered with before and as such I've run into a lot less problems, and when going somewhere new a recommendation helps as well.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2011, 06:41:56 PM »
What I neglected to mention is that I dog their azzes relentlessly until I get what I want  ;D

If they tell me that they ship in 24 hrs and the item is in stock then it's out the door (with confirmation) or I cancel the order. The point is that (at least recently) I haven't had to - but then I know better than to buy from best buy  ::thumbsup::