Author Topic: Bob Seger In Winter  (Read 571 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Bob Seger In Winter
« on: December 25, 2011, 10:04:52 PM »
LINK

Though hardly reclusive, Seger has largely spent his life in Michigan tucked away from public view and his fellow artists. Still, at Seger's Madison Square Garden show on Dec. 1, he and longtime buddy Bruce Springsteen shared the stage for the first time in more than 30 years. The Rock and Roll Hall of Famer is longtime pals with the Eagles, having befriended a still-teenage Glenn Frey in Detroit more than 45 years ago. Yet despite co-writing the Eagles' hit "Heartache Tonight" and stepping in to record "Shakedown" when Frey got sick, he says he's shared a stage with Frey and Don Henley only once.

Seger speaks with tremendous admiration of Springsteen's ability to share a beer with his fans and stay humble ("I admire everything about Bruce," he says) but fears the potential for such adulation would affect him negatively. "I'm probably more isolated, I gotta be honest," he says. "I worry about too much praise because it will go to my head and I won't be objective about my own stuff."

Moreover, Seger, who flies home after almost every gig, is perfectly content to avoid the road and the studio for long stretches of time. After the tour in support of 1995's "It's a Mystery," he disappeared for 11 years to raise his children, Cole, now 19, and Samantha, 16.

Road marks on the path of my life.

I remember seeing Bob Seger's Night Moves tour quite vividly. It was my favorite rock concert experience of all time. When I realize that Seger is nearly seventy years old it is yet another reminder of how quickly the intervening years have flown by.

*sigh*

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Bob Seger In Winter
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 10:44:16 AM »
The perception of time's increasing velocity as one ages is one of life's cruelties. At some point, when you realize that you likely have more good days behind you than before you, the brick wall appears on the horizon, and every sweetness of life seems to bring you racing towards it. At least for me. I try to savor the sweetness and not dwell on the brick wall. But when you wake up one day and your little baby is closer to 30 than 20, and your grandchild that you swear was just born a couple months ago is in the middle of his 3rd year, it's hard to ignore the increasing profile of the wall on the horizon.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson