Author Topic: Rumor about Mitt Romney is true  (Read 844 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Rumor about Mitt Romney is true
« on: February 03, 2012, 03:42:20 PM »
Maybe it is part of the Vast Left Wing Conspiracy, but both Snopes and PolitiFact are spreading truths about Republican Mitt Romney.

Kind of scary. The story depicts Mitt Romney in a good light.

First the rumor that has gone viral via an e-mail:

Sometimes, this facet of Romney’s personality isn’t so subtle. In July 1996, the 14-year-old daughter of Robert Gay, a partner at Bain Capital, had disappeared. She had attended a rave party in New York City and gotten high on ecstasy.

Three days later, her distraught father had no idea where she was. Romney took immediate action. He closed down the entire firm and asked all 30 partners and employees to fly to New York to help find Gay’s daughter. Romney set up a command center at the LaGuardia Marriott and hired a private detective firm to assist with the search. He established a toll-free number for tips, coordinating the effort with the NYPD, and went through his Rolodex and called everyone Bain did business with in New York, and asked them to help find his friend’s missing daughter. Romney’s accountants at Price Waterhouse Cooper put up posters on street poles, while cashiers at a pharmacy owned by Bain put fliers in the bag of every shopper. Romney and the other Bain employees scoured every part of New York and talked with everyone they could — prostitutes, drug addicts — anyone.

That day, their hunt made the evening news, which featured photos of the girl and the Bain employees searching for her. As a result, a teenage boy phoned in, asked if there was a reward, and then hung up abruptly. The NYPD traced the call to a home in New Jersey, where they found the girl in the basement, shivering and experiencing withdrawal symptoms from a massive ecstasy dose. Doctors later said the girl might not have survived another day. Romney’s former partner credits Mitt Romney with saving his daughter’s life, saying, “It was the most amazing thing, and I’ll never forget this to the day I die.”

So, here’s my epiphany: Mitt Romney simply can’t help himself. He sees a problem, and his mind immediately sets to work solving it, sometimes consciously, and sometimes not-so-consciously. He doesn’t do it for self-aggrandizement, or for personal gain. He does it because that’s just how he’s wired.

The story was re-told by Bob Gay in 2002 — when Romney ran for governor — and again in 2007 in time for the New Hampshire primary, when Bob Gay made a 30 second commercial for the governor. He fully credits Romney with saving his daughter by shutting down the firm and having the top officials of Bain Capital search for her. It is an incredible story that soars beyond politics. Truly this shows a man devoted to family and his religion. Consider how he did it, too. He set up a command center — very CEO. We can argue about his flip-flops and his style of campaigning. But his integrity is off the table.

Does this mean I recommend him for the Republican nomination? No. But it is a deed that does Americans proud.

From the fussbudgets at PolitiFact: “By all accounts, the effort by Bain employees was central to the effort to locate the girl, and Romney reportedly played a significant role in that effort. We give the account now circulating a rating of True.”

What a joyless lot.

By the way, I was so tempted to call this the “Gay rumor about Mitt.”
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
Re: Rumor about Mitt Romney is true
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 04:12:48 PM »
Not all Progressives are evil they're just not good for our Country.
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 04:49:00 PM »
I don't think Romney's basic decency, leadership, or resourcefulness have ever been in question. Still, it is good to have a complete picture of a man, and this is indeed a window into his character and priorities.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 05:18:41 PM »
I don't think Romney's basic decency, leadership, or resourcefulness have ever been in question. Still, it is good to have a complete picture of a man, and this is indeed a window into his character and priorities.

If only his perception of big government is bad and Constitutional concepts perceived as good he would then
go after statists with a passion?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 07:52:16 PM »
I didn't expect, nor was I trying to achieve, any changes of mind regarding the political Romney; I thought you might like to know this information.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 08:09:16 PM »
  That makes a good friend but he's not running to be anybodies friend.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 04:26:06 AM »
This at least confirms the basic decency of the man .

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 09:44:04 AM »
I didn't expect, nor was I trying to achieve, any changes of mind regarding the political Romney; I thought you might like to know this information.

I knew that. I don't think anyone here was worried that Pandora suddenly found herself in the Romney camp because of a gushy hero story.

::unknowncomic::

I know I'm glad this was brought to my attention. If the guy ends up being the nominee, it will be comforting to know there is something good about him besides his presidential hair.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline michelleo

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 11:59:30 AM »
I applaud Romney for his efforts and success.  He's a decent man.  As President, however, does he plan this level of intervention on a national level for every person in America in need?  "Some things broke, can't be fixed," as Kayley (Firefly) would say.  Trying to "fix" the general welfare with massive entitlement programs is a major cause of our out-of-control debt and economic woes.

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 07:39:59 AM »
Nice. But remember: Ross Perot did something substantially similar for his employees who were stuck in Iran during the Revolution.
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 12:01:27 PM »
I never questioned the character of the man nor made disparaging remarks about his religion, this is all well and good, and my deep concerns over his left-leaning political record and statements convince me I cannot support him in this primary or for the presidency should he become the nominee.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 12:27:35 PM »

Yes, there is only one message they will understand and it's a one word message - "Bye".