Author Topic: The Comprehensive Ann Coulter Smackdown  (Read 844 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
The Comprehensive Ann Coulter Smackdown
« on: February 08, 2012, 05:16:49 PM »
LINK

...Romney's basic political instincts [are] to pander to the liberal media, which he exhibited throughout his career in Massachusetts politics. Coulter excuses him, saying he had to go liberal to succeed in liberal Massachusetts. But liberal political expediency has never before been considered a qualification for presidential support from conservatives. What other liberal/left sellouts can we expect from Romney once he gets the nomination? Or worse, if he is elected? Check out the complete list of Romney advisors for a clue.

Everything about Romney screams "Country Club Republican." This is not a man who will inspire the conservative grassroots to come out in maximum force, carrying Republicans with him to victory in the Senate, as Reagan -- and later Gingrich -- did. Instead, Romney is the perfect foil and caricature for Obama's political strategy this year, a perfect example of the problem, according to Obama's narrative. Perhaps Ann is spooked by the need to liberate the country from Obama's Marxists, thinking we must embrace the safest, most electable candidate. But that prevent-defense thinking is a prescription for failure, if not disaster, if Romney is elected and turns out to govern as a Massachusetts liberal after all.

Tea Party Republicans are not going to sit still for another round of George H.W. Bush, which is what Romney is offering us. They will bolt, resulting in the breakup of the Republican party. That is the fire we are playing with in Mitt Romney.

Tea Party people will not sit still for John McCain 2.0 either. And that's what we are being offered up here.

As I said on another thread several days back...Ann Coulter is dead to me now. I wonder if she knows or cares that more than a few of the people who only weeks earlier considered her relevant and worthwhile are now uninterested in her opinions.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
Re: The Comprehensive Ann Coulter Smackdown
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 05:51:33 PM »
The author's point is that any government mandate, either state or federal, results in the government setting standards for coverage and controlling costs in order to maintain affordability. Once the government makes up the rules, it will attempt to cover the most patients with the least amount of dollars. This is a prescription for rationing of health care.
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 06:06:41 PM »
The author's other point is that once the government mandates health care, forces everyone to get it, then it is "unfair" or impolitic to exclude any form of health care available. In other words, if you are forcing people to get basic health care via insurance or whatever then how can you leave out, say, the mental health part of the equation? Or the plastic surgery people? Or anyone who is even vaguely connected to health care?

You can't. Because it wouldn't be "fair" to leave them out. So you have to include everything. And suddenly health care coverage becomes an omnibus one-size-fits-all-whether-you-like-it-or-not monstrosity that is the most godawful expensive thing possible.

You sell it to the rubes with all of the usual reasons but one of them is always, "it will be cheaper (affordable) if only everyone has to pay for it...in other words, you explain that health care is unaffordable because of the free riders in the system that everyone has to pay for. And then after it's implemented and the rubes find out that it's now the most godawful expensive thing in the world it's too late to go back.

Obongo has found himself in a box this week because of his birth control/abortion mandates (on everyone) that a majority find repugnant. But he can't get away from it because if he does then the whole thing begins to unravel. The elites got away with this in Europe because the majority there is spiritually dead. Here, not so much. Not yet, anyway.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 06:40:43 PM »

I want my liposuction and I want it now!
                                                         K.G. Wentworth

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 07:41:51 PM »
Good find, trap; thanks.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 08:39:05 PM »
  I swear I have no idea what the hell is going through her head lately.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 09:17:12 PM »
But wait...there's more:

There is no conservative writer that I admire more than Ann Coulter. She's smart as hell and, more importantly, she is courageous. She has always been willing to write what other conservatives believe but don't have the guts to say in print. She has never played it safe and has certainly never adjusted her opinions for the sake of conforming to the conventional wisdom of Old Guard Republicans. In 2008, for example, she declared that she would not merely vote for, but actively campaign for Hillary Clinton if the Republican Party were foolish enough to nominate John McCain for President: "If you are looking at substance rather than if there is an R or a D after his name, manifestly, if he's our candidate, than Hillary is going to be our girl, because she's more conservative than he is."

But something has happened to Coulter. I don't have firsthand knowledge that she was kidnapped by RINO Team Six and taken to an offshore medical facility where she was forced to undergo a gruesome surgical procedure, but many of her recent columns suggest that something of the sort must have occurred. What else could explain her endorsement of Mitt Romney?

It's like a Manchurian Candidate kind of thing. The article refers to her comments at last year's CPAC convention. Must be seen to be believed:

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 09:30:57 PM »
There are a couple differences between George W. Bush. John McCain, and Mitt Romney, but you end up in the same exact place.

George W. Bush said exactly who he was and what he stood for, and Republicans embraced him as a conservative. He had a set of well-defined principles, he ran on them, he won, and he governed according to them. Things had not gotten to the point yet when conservatism was "rediscovered" by anything approaching a majority of Republican voters. To most Republicans, Bush was a conservative, until events transpired that caused people to educate themselves as to the definition, and then compare him to it and found him severely lacking.

John McCain offered Bush without the principles or personality. He talked conservatism, but he had a record a thousand miles long of backstabbing conservatives at every opportunity. Republicans know him, and wanted none of it.

Mitt Romney offers the rhetoric of conservative principles with a liberal record a thousand miles long, and no evidence to demonstrate that he believes anything but the opposite of what he says - and if possible, he has less personality than John McCain, and certainly less authenticity as he mixes with the peasantry.

Which comes to the similarity in the end result. The main difference between Mitt Romney, John McCain, and George W. Bush is that Mitt Romney has not yet had the opportunity to stab conservatives in the back. And that is no difference at all.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 10:13:04 PM »
But wait...there's more:

There is no conservative writer that I admire more than Ann Coulter. She's smart as hell and, more importantly, she is courageous. She has always been willing to write what other conservatives believe but don't have the guts to say in print. She has never played it safe and has certainly never adjusted her opinions for the sake of conforming to the conventional wisdom of Old Guard Republicans. In 2008, for example, she declared that she would not merely vote for, but actively campaign for Hillary Clinton if the Republican Party were foolish enough to nominate John McCain for President: "If you are looking at substance rather than if there is an R or a D after his name, manifestly, if he's our candidate, than Hillary is going to be our girl, because she's more conservative than he is."

But something has happened to Coulter. I don't have firsthand knowledge that she was kidnapped by RINO Team Six and taken to an offshore medical facility where she was forced to undergo a gruesome surgical procedure, but many of her recent columns suggest that something of the sort must have occurred. What else could explain her endorsement of Mitt Romney?

It's like a Manchurian Candidate kind of thing. The article refers to her comments at last year's CPAC convention. Must be seen to be believed:

So what the hell is she doing??
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 11:27:51 PM »
Sorry all, she had lost it at least a year before that. Remember this is someone that dated Bill Maher years ago. Why would anyone want to date an armadillo and that's got to say something about a character flaw.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 11:40:06 PM »

She's been turned/ flipped?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 07:33:53 AM »
Don't care how or why, it just is, wave buh-bye!

::mooning::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 09:45:40 AM »
... Coulter imparts to us her health care policy insight that the only thing wrong with Romneycare is Democrats: "First, the overwhelmingly Democratic legislature set the threshold for receiving a subsidy so that it included people making just below the median income in the United States, a policy known as 'redistribution of income.'" But as explained above, this policy is the inevitable result of an individual mandate. If the government is going to force people to buy the most expensive health insurance possible, the government is going to come under irresistible pressure to help even middle income people and above pay for that mandate.

Coulter further explains the role of those dastardly Democrats: "Then, liberals destroyed the group rate, 'no frills' private insurance plans allowed under Romneycare ... by adding dozens of state mandates, including requiring insurers to cover chiropractors and in vitro fertilization -- a policy known as 'pandering to lobbyists.'" But again, as explained above, this was only the natural, predictable, indeed inevitable result of the individual mandate. Once the government has to specify the health insurance plan the mandate requires everyone to buy, no one can be left out in our democratic system.

So, dastardly Democrats perverted Romney's otherwise perfectly good plan  ::) and similar Democrats cooked up stinkin' Obamacare.  If the faults in both plans are due to Democrats, then the wise course is to never create onerous legislation that the Democrats will eventually control.

Coulter used to know that; she's slept since then.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 10:10:21 AM »
... Coulter imparts to us her health care policy insight that the only thing wrong with Romneycare is Democrats: "First, the overwhelmingly Democratic legislature set the threshold for receiving a subsidy so that it included people making just below the median income in the United States, a policy known as 'redistribution of income.'" But as explained above, this policy is the inevitable result of an individual mandate. If the government is going to force people to buy the most expensive health insurance possible, the government is going to come under irresistible pressure to help even middle income people and above pay for that mandate.

Coulter further explains the role of those dastardly Democrats: "Then, liberals destroyed the group rate, 'no frills' private insurance plans allowed under Romneycare ... by adding dozens of state mandates, including requiring insurers to cover chiropractors and in vitro fertilization -- a policy known as 'pandering to lobbyists.'" But again, as explained above, this was only the natural, predictable, indeed inevitable result of the individual mandate. Once the government has to specify the health insurance plan the mandate requires everyone to buy, no one can be left out in our democratic system.

So, dastardly Democrats perverted Romney's otherwise perfectly good plan  ::) and similar Democrats cooked up stinkin' Obamacare.  If the faults in both plans are due to Democrats, then the wise course is to never create onerous legislation that the Democrats will eventually control.

Coulter used to know that; she's slept since then.

Even if Coulter believes this nonsense about RomneyCare being a good plan if not for those meddling Democrats, the idea that she believes Romney can be sold to conservative voters based on that defense is just mind-boggling. Absolutely mind-boggling.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 10:41:21 AM »
...and my mother just said to me yesterday she needed to get Ann Coulter's last book.  I didn't say anything. My mom's supporting Romney.

::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."