Author Topic: ABC Television's "Once Upon A Time"  (Read 994 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
ABC Television's "Once Upon A Time"
« on: February 12, 2012, 09:13:42 PM »
Like "The River" I had hoped that "Once Upon A Time" would end up being a worthy successor to "Lost."

It isn't.

Which is not to say it isn't any good. It is. It just isn't "Lost." And perhaps I am being unreasonable in looking for a "Lost" replacement. There will almost certainly not be another "Lost."

"Once Upon A Time" is produced by some of the same people that were responsible for "Lost," though, and in many ways it shows. The writing is mostly as good.

The premise for the series I will quote from wikipedia in order to spare myself a great deal of typing...

The story is set in the small town of Storybrooke, Maine. The town is populated by characters from fairy tales, who have been exiled to the real world due to a curse cast by the Evil Queen (Lana Parrilla) as part of a revenge plot against Snow White (Ginnifer Goodwin), and Prince Charming (Josh Dallas). Because of the curse, the inhabitants of Storybrooke have no memory of their true identities and have been stuck timelessly in Storybrooke for years.

This changes when Henry (Jared S. Gilmore), the adopted son of Storybrookes Mayor Regina Mills (also Lana Parrilla), seeks out his birth mother, Emma Swan (Jennifer Morrison), a bounty hunter living in Boston and coerces her to come to Storybrooke. Henry, who knows about the curse from a book given him by his teacher Mary Margaret Blanchard (also Ginnifer Goodwin), informs Emma that she is the daughter of Snow White and Prince Charming and that she is destined to break the curse holding everyone in Storybrooke. Skeptical, Emma decides to stay in Storybrooke after seeing how lonely Henry is and how he is emotionally neglected by his mother. In staying, Emma continues to run afoul of Mayor Mills. This conflict only increases when Emma becomes the town Sheriff.

Each episode usually focuses on one main character who is experiencing some sort of conflict in Storybrooke. Flashbacks also show what their character's story was in the fairy tale world of the Enchanted Forest. In the first season, almost all of the flashbacks involved Rumplestiltskin (Robert Carlyle) making deals with the protagonists as part of some sort of machiavellian plot. In Storybrooke, Rumplestiltskin is known as Mr Gold, the wealthiest man in town.

I have watched all of the episodes and I have only had issue with one so far: In an episode where Henry is trapped in a mineshaft (mineshaft? really?) he is rescued by Emma for no apparent reason other than she is the lead in the series. That was just stupid because we have all seen real life mine rescues and they are always performed by experts...real experts. So in this one instance the writers were overwhelmingly stupid. But that's my only real quibble with the series to date.

The series is character driven rather than driven by say, a quest. There is a quest and eventually I believe it will be concluded but again, that is not what is currently driving the series. I complained about "The River" for not being driven by a quest, for making the quest subordinate to the priority of making each episode more or less self contained and you could take issue with "Once Upon A Time" for this, too. But I don't have a problem with it because they are weaving the characters into the quest in such a way that my attention is kept quite focused. Unlike "The River" there is enough continuity to keep me wondering what will happen next. Not quite a cliffhanger ending every week but pretty close. The quest in this case is advanced on a steady basis...progress, however confusing at times, is made.

Additionally, it is about as family-friendly as television fare gets these days so I can allow my twelve-year-old daughter to watch it with me. That's a nice bonus because it's the rare media event where my daughter can be entertained and I'm not bored out of my mind.

In short, for me, it's worth tuning in every week.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: ABC Television's "Once Upon A Time"
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 09:21:57 PM »
Thanks for the info. I've seen a few commercials but not enough to get me to remember to watch--other than a fairytale I didn't know what the story was about.

For anyone interested:

ABC on Sundays 8/7c

previous eps here
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 09:55:25 PM »
We've been watching and it's not bad.  And at this time on Sunday evening, there's damn little else on.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 09:37:14 PM »
I've never watched an episode, but will glance up from reading while the wife watches it. I've never been able to fathom how they go back and forth in time so quickly. I guess if I really cared, I could pay attention.......
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 09:51:44 PM »
I've never watched an episode, but will glance up from reading while the wife watches it. I've never been able to fathom how they go back and forth in time so quickly. I guess if I really cared, I could pay attention.......

They don't.  The "back in time" segments are flashbacks, memories so to speak.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 10:45:32 PM »
Okay, well, this series has survived to make it into this year's fall lineup and deservedly so. I watched all of last season's episodes and it wrapped up rather nicely with all of the characters of the "Enchanted Forest" remembering who they really were. Except that the "curse" was only partially broken because they are still stuck in Maine.

One of the characteristics of this series is the back and forth between present day Storybrooke, Maine and the past world of the "Enchanted Forest" which was similar to the way that episodes of "Lost" were presented. The second season has put an added twist on this formula. It seems that in the first episode the characters Emma Swan and Snow White have been transported to the "Enchanted Forest" so that now adds a third "reality." Reality 1 is present day Storybrooke. Reality 2 is the 28 year-old past of the "Enchanted Forest" and Reality 3 is present day "Enchanted Forest."

One of the things that I noticed in season one is the "cute" references to "Lost" with the inclusion of things like an Oceanic jet flying over the town and the sightings of minor things like the Apollo candy bars.

Now that the characters are more or less firmly established the series is being driven more by the story or quest. The old quest (breaking the curse) being more or less resolved, we are now moving into a new quest...that being how to return the characters to the "Enchanted Forest" and how to rescue Emma Swan and Snow White.

Added plot element: Anyone who crosses the town's city limit loses their memory of their fairy tale identity. So, no one can leave town. They are all stuck there.

Why do I like this show?

Because it isn't stupid. Yes, it has had a few stupid moments but they are rare. Unlike, say, "Revolution" this show does not insult my intelligence. The story's logic is consistent.

Also, I can watch it with my young daughter and not be worried that questionable material is going to pop up. This is as close to family entertainment as network television gets these days.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 11:29:45 PM »
I like it, too.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 11:48:05 AM »
Many thanks, Trap, for sacrificing brain cells wading through the crap on TV today to point out those that actually have merit. Taking one for the team, as it were.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson