Author Topic: For those "men" who preferred Madonna to Hank Jr.  (Read 2115 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: For those "men" who preferred Madonna to Hank Jr.
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 01:17:01 PM »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 07:04:46 PM »
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 08:03:39 PM »
Sorry - my snarky response was a conflation of two Seinfeld references. In one Jerry gets roped into promoting the "Puffy Shirts for his girlfriend (the "low-talker") and is cruelly mocked for it (for obvious reasons). The other reference was a running joke where Jerry & the crew making fun of homos and then (in true liberal fashion) rationalizing it away by intoning (with a nod & a wink) "Not that there's anything wrong with that".

Seinfeld is a big lib, but he's not afraid of mocking his own kind - which mostly went right over the leftists heads. I actually enjoyed his show because I didn't find it at all difficult to read between the lines and see the sarcastic jeering of liberal nonsense.

As far as I know Jerry's straight....and so am I (I bet I have my innate homophobia in better check than he does!)  ;D

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 09:08:17 PM »
Sorry - my snarky response was a conflation of two Seinfeld references. In one Jerry gets roped into promoting the "Puffy Shirts for his girlfriend (the "low-talker") and is cruelly mocked for it (for obvious reasons). The other reference was a running joke where Jerry & the crew making fun of homos and then (in true liberal fashion) rationalizing it away by intoning (with a nod & a wink) "Not that there's anything wrong with that".

Seinfeld is a big lib, but he's not afraid of mocking his own kind - which mostly went right over the leftists heads. I actually enjoyed his show because I didn't find it at all difficult to read between the lines and see the sarcastic jeering of liberal nonsense.

As far as I know Jerry's straight....and so am I (I bet I have my innate homophobia in better check than he does!)  ;D

Well, thank you for that.  I didn't watch "Seinfeld" so I wasn't sure from where the "NTTAWWT" came. (wink/nod)
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 09:15:48 PM »
That show was classic.  The whole setup for the "not that there's anything wrong with that" -- Seinfeld " Not that there is anything wrong with that"
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 09:49:33 PM »

Well, thank you for that.  I didn't watch "Seinfeld" so I wasn't sure from where the "NTTAWWT" came. (wink/nod)

'salright. I know my taste in humor runs to the weird (if I were rich I could say esoteric or exotic). My older brother never watched it and hated it - just from the ads that he saw for it. He could never understand why I liked watching "a show about nothing" and couldn't get with the fact that Seinfeld was routinely skewering his own people. They rarely even depicted right-wingers, and even when they did they invariably made the leftists look worse than anything the 'wingers did.

An acquired taste I 'spose

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 09:54:03 PM »
No, really, Soup; thank you.  I didn't deliberately avoid Seinfeld, it just wasn't convenient; must've been on against something else we watched.  But!  Having missed it means having missed a part of today's cultural references.

Between missing Seinfeld and South Park, me and the Mr. are a couple of drips, culturally speaking.  ::eyes::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"