Author Topic: Anybody watch?  (Read 2342 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Anybody watch?
« on: March 28, 2012, 08:38:40 AM »
  Last night I got to watch that doomsday prepper show and picked up something  that I didn't know existed. One of them had a 70s vintage army deuce and a half that was a multi fuel vehicle that cost his 3500.dollars.

The engine runs on diesel,gas,kerosene and what was most interesting used motor oil. The engine alone is what had me going because of the multitude of uses it has just around the ability to run on waste oil as a power generating source that uses fuel that is readily available easy to store and as inexpensive as free.

Any comments on that set up and it's possible uses?
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Anybody watch?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 09:33:36 AM »
 Last night I got to watch that doomsday prepper show and picked up something  that I didn't know existed. One of them had a 70s vintage army deuce and a half that was a multi fuel vehicle that cost his 3500.dollars.

The engine runs on diesel,gas,kerosene and what was most interesting used motor oil. The engine alone is what had me going because of the multitude of uses it has just around the ability to run on waste oil as a power generating source that uses fuel that is readily available easy to store and as inexpensive as free.

Any comments on that set up and it's possible uses?

I found this write-up-- its a place to start..

Hey - just and engine and close..

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/2866826786.html

$750..
http://beyondbiodiesel.org/forum/index.php?topic=35.0

Tricked out restored vehicle ready for off road
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2894318972.html

$8500

Hey spend that fiat!

« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 09:45:51 AM by Weisshaupt »

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 11:06:30 AM »
I watched this last night, in the hopes to edge my wife towards the need to prep more seriously and with more urgency than we do. We're set to survive for a few months on filtered water, rice, beans, tuna, and jerky - and that only if our house isn't stormed by a zombie horde. We can defend, but seriously, if it comes to that, how long can you stay holed-up in a place after a shootout has occurred? How long would you want to? If your home was attacked, and you had to shoot your way out, staying there wouldn't seem like a good option at that point.

So assuming no zombie horde comes, we're good for a few months of bare survival. Whenever I try to impress the need upon her, she disengages. I'd hoped that watching preppers would open her to the need to improve our preparation, and expose her to some of the thought out there about eventualities from a source other than myself. But I think it may have had the opposite effect.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 11:49:58 AM »

It's good to have a well stocked pantry and some necessary items for the inevitable
loss of utilities due to natural events such as wind, water, ice, snow; it happens every
year.  Something for the lady of the house to be proud of.

Back when I lived in Big City I built the cabinets/shelves for my pantry.  They resemble bookcases except they are sturdy, have front panels (stored in the garage) that are pre-fabed to be screwed on to the front.   With the panels screwed on the shelves are now crates.  The crates are sized to easily be (2 wheel) trucked about and to fit into my two wheel utility trailer.

This system works well for other household necessaries.  Time from start to exit was
an hour.  The concept of holding the high ground is possibly ideal but each of us must
work with what we have.

And that Deuce and a half is cool but for a po'boy it would be a money pit.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 12:16:19 PM »
  I was more interested in the engine as a complete power source in a place like a country setting where you can use it as a slave engine to drive anything needing power. Generators,pumps and what battery chargers and all on a fuel source that is as economical as you can get.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 12:17:36 PM »
I watched this last night, in the hopes to edge my wife towards the need to prep more seriously and with more urgency than we do. We're set to survive for a few months on filtered water, rice, beans, tuna, and jerky - and that only if our house isn't stormed by a zombie horde. We can defend, but seriously, if it comes to that, how long can you stay holed-up in a place after a shootout has occurred? How long would you want to? If your home was attacked, and you had to shoot your way out, staying there wouldn't seem like a good option at that point.

So assuming no zombie horde comes, we're good for a few months of bare survival. Whenever I try to impress the need upon her, she disengages. I'd hoped that watching preppers would open her to the need to improve our preparation, and expose her to some of the thought out there about eventualities from a source other than myself. But I think it may have had the opposite effect.

Let's face it - TEOTWAWKI is a debbie-downer. As luck (luck?!) would have it I'm already in the proper mood so I'm well passed that initial unpleasant orientation. The first thing I had to do was sit down and do a little introspection. The simple fact is that I don't really want to be here anymore, but I'm hard-wired to keep on trucking so my first decision is how long to I expect to be around, and under which circumstances?

I don't plan on living forever but since I am going to be around for several more years I had to next consider how I was going to live. I can't possibly plan for some outcomes (nuclear strike in my neighborhood, 9.9 earthquake, Lahar, etc) but there are plenty of scenarios that planning for will spell the difference between relative comfort (or at least survival) vs. an ugly death.

I then tripled the stock of everything I normally consume. Food, laundry detergent, toothpicks - endless lists as I thought of more things that I commonly use and can practically hoard without going rancid. I may revise that upwards as time and space allow.

Then I went back to gardening, a pastime I had neglected due to circumstances beyond my control. I don't expect to grow enough to feed myself, but do want to grow enough to augment my diet, and do the learning now instead of "under the gun".

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 12:20:21 PM »
  I was more interested in the engine as a complete power source in a place like a country setting where you can use it as a slave engine to drive anything needing power. Generators,pumps and what battery chargers and all on a fuel source that is as economical as you can get.

I like the idea of an engine that isn't picky about what it drinks, but I would be leery of pouring used motor oil down its throat. Would you put it in your crankcase? At the very least I would filter the crap out of it (literally!).

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 12:49:04 PM »
How does it work with motor oil as a fuel?  I would guess it's sort of like those diesel engines converted to run on used cooking oil, which requires the oil to be heated enough to thin it, at which point it works pretty much like diesel fuel.

I figure with some reasonable technical aptitude, small communities could manage to maintain a mid-19th Century level of existence. While less advanced than our present day, on the grand scale of human existence the 19th Century wasn't too bad at all.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 01:00:54 PM »

I like the idea of an engine that isn't picky about what it drinks, but I would be leery of pouring used motor oil down its throat. Would you put it in your crankcase? At the very least I would filter the crap out of it (literally!).

All the guy on the show did was filter it through a sock,I myself would have let it settle for at least a week and then run it it through a real filter of some kind just to clean up most of the crap in it or even use a centrifuge and really clean it up.

And lets not forget that you can buy waste oil furnaces and A/C units.

Beckett waste oil burner

Omni Waste Oil Heaters, Boilers, Burners, and Air Conditioners | 866.607.4022
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 03:44:37 PM »
Dangit!  I checked the TV listings last night specifically for the show and somehow missed that it was on!

Some of the reasons these folks give for prepping -- a change in the earth's poles/axis -- sound pretty far out to me, so I could see why they would give the dubious a reason to relegate the issue to the looney-bin, IDP.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 03:58:22 PM »
Dangit!  I checked the TV listings last night specifically for the show and somehow missed that it was on!

Some of the reasons these folks give for prepping -- a change in the earth's poles/axis -- sound pretty far out to me, so I could see why they would give the dubious a reason to relegate the issue to the looney-bin, IDP.

Oh there are some more likely than others, but none of them are out of the realm of possibility.  Nat Geo feels inclined at the end of every show to speculate about the chances of each scenario.. always giving the same answer- None to Nill.  On Economic meltdown they are fond of quoting the world bank figures predicting growth in worldwide GDP-- as if that had anything to do with it..

Axis Shifting is possible, it seems to have happened before and there is real evidence the field is changing.

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/pole-shift-2/proof-of-magnetic-pole-shift-reversal/

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 04:16:44 PM »
  I don't care what reason they give but I use it as a source for info.I didn't think about using Nitrogen as a way to store dry foods in buckets.
 Filippo Mazzie