Author Topic: Book suggestions  (Read 571 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Book suggestions
« on: April 02, 2012, 10:18:14 AM »
I know what's a good book is subjective.  I used to read mysteries but I've gotten bored with those--I always figure it out long before the end. Now I like thrillers or a story with action.   I've read all of Thor and Flynn. I couldn't get into Eisler.  I recently bought a Lee Child novel.   I've read several Ludlum but not all yet (excellent for the long flight to Hawaii! I read fast but I only needed to carry one book for the flight.) Clancey doesn't do it for me. I read one book by Andrew Grant.  It was ok.

I'd be interested in your suggestions. 
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Book suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 10:50:17 AM »
I'd be interested in your suggestions.  

With my kids I have had the excuse or re-reading all of my old favorites at bedtime

LOTR
The Princess Bride
The Silent Gondoliers
Holes
Watership Down
Chronicles of Narnia
Ender's Game
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Also:
Anything by Phillip K. Dick.
Anything by Orson Scott Card.
Winter's Tale (Helprin)
Anything by Azimov ( INcluding the short stories - which include a number of Mysteries- maybe you can't guess by the end because they are only 20-40 pages long)
On a Pale Horse ( Anthony - read only the first in this series..)

On planes I have been Mr. Non-fiction

All of the Founders books at loa.org  are worth the read, including the two volume set on the Constitutional Debates. (Also the Federalist)
The Making of the Atomic Bomb
Starving the Monkeys
Anything by Thomas Sowell
Anything by Eric Hoffer.
John Glenn's Memoir.

Did you ever get through the Graphic Novels? Watchmen? etc..

« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 11:09:52 AM by Weisshaupt »

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 11:01:35 AM »
F. Scott Wilson's "Repairman Jack" novels.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 01:48:12 PM »
 " Once An Eagle " by Anton Myrer . I read it in 1968 during my senior year in high school . I recognized it at the time as a handbook on leadership . The protagonist was everything an Infantry Officer could possibly want to be ...and more . Finally , some bright boy with the Department of the Army recognized the same thing and even though it's a novel , it's become required reading at West Point .

I carried my original copy all the way through my Army experience .