Author Topic: The Avengers  (Read 1537 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
The Avengers
« on: April 23, 2012, 12:20:54 AM »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
Re: The Avengers
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 01:01:08 AM »
Can't wait.
Drive in has opened here.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 08:37:46 AM »
Supposedly you don't have to wait. There are pirated copies on line somewhere if you know where to look. That kind of stuff is beyond me so I will have to wait and see the legit version.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 11:24:47 AM »
Can't wait.

Whaaat?  A drive-in drive-in?!  Really?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 11:29:07 AM »
Allright, a drive-in!  I thought those were extinct!  Now all I need is a date and some hooch!   ::whoohoo::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 11:50:54 AM »
We have a drive in close to us. haven't been in a while.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 11:55:55 AM »

Of the three drive-in theaters in my area one now hosts swap meets, one is a wrecking yard, and one is now condominiums. It used to be such a neat treat but now I guess it'll have to be a pleasant memory.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 11:57:08 AM »
We try to hit the DI a few times a year.
It's about 30 miles but that's reasonable out here in the boonies (unless gas goes through the roof)

They have 5 screens showing 2 movies each

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 11:58:21 AM »
I bought a closed drive in 20+ years ago.
Put my company there and a small truck stop.
Long sold :(

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 12:02:49 PM »

Of the three drive-in theaters in my area one now hosts swap meets, one is a wrecking yard, and one is now condominiums. It used to be such a neat treat but now I guess it'll have to be a pleasant memory.

I remember as a kid going to the drive in. We'd take chairs, food, sit in the back of pickups...and the really cool drive ins had a playground up front. God, I remember how much fun it was. Our family didn't have much back then, so the drive in was a treat. Man, a great memory I hadn't thought on in quite a while.

Thanks American Patriot for jogging the ole memory.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 12:06:35 PM »
As a kid, we went as a treat, too.  Mom made the food at home; one time she brought a pot of corn on the cob.  We weren't allowed to go to the playground, though.  Mom's automatic fallback then for almost anything was, "NO".  Just as well, I guess, we had our pj's and robes on 'cause we always fell asleep.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 12:17:47 PM »
As a kid, we went as a treat, too.  Mom made the food at home; one time she brought a pot of corn on the cob.  We weren't allowed to go to the playground, though.  Mom's automatic fallback then for almost anything was, "NO".  Just as well, I guess, we had our pj's and robes on 'cause we always fell asleep.

This was the good ole days when I'd fall asleep, laying in the area behind the back seat, just under the back glass. We were allowed to play....I'd play till I couldn't move, climb back there a go to sleep on the way home. Now, parents would be arrested for it. I remember getting home, filthy but dead tired, Mom telling us to bathe.....We'd complain, she'd get mad and tell us if we can go to sleep being that dirty, go ahead. There was no AC, so many times Id wake up the next morning a sweaty, muddy mess. I did get dirty as a kid. lol

Then, we could not bathe....It was outside, we were hosed off.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 12:41:52 PM »
Some of my earliest memories are from the drive-in. We'd go, kids in jammies, popcorn premade. If we were lucky, we'd get to buy a hot dog or some candy. Loved the sound of those speakers in the night air. "Planet of the Apes". "Herbie the Love Bug". Good memories.

When I was a teenager, the drive-in was just a hangout, and we had two to choose from right on the outskirts of town - one to the Northwest, and the other to the Southeast. We'd tell our folks we were going to the movies, and we just parked the cars, drank beer, and smoked pot. The cops patrolled up and down the rows, and didn't generally interfere unless somebody was out of control. Our biggest decision on a Friday or Saturday summer night was "10-HI, or Cloud"?
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 01:17:41 PM »
Damn, I might have been near IDP and not known it!   ::hysterical::

Anyway...

The old Rose theater I used to sneak into and meet up with friends...I think is a business park now.   :'(

The Twin I think it was called off 694 & University - I think Medtronic or somebody bought that up a while ago, before that was owned by someone else, perhaps the people who got it from the old drive in. 
 :'(

The one in Blaine is a Rotlund townhome development, one of the last to go in this area and the last one I ever went to.   :'(

One over in Oakdale might have been the last to close, but I last was in that one about 35 years ago.

The advent of the multiplex theaters and surround sound killed the drive in's, that and the value of land increased enough to make owners want to cash out for an easier life.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 01:32:22 PM »

Anyway...

The old Rose theater I used to sneak into and meet up with friends...I think is a business park now.   :'(

The Twin I think it was called off 694 & University - I think Medtronic or somebody bought that up a while ago, before that was owned by someone else, perhaps the people who got it from the old drive in. 

The one in Blaine is a Rotlund townhome development, one of the last to go in this area and the last one I ever went to.   :'(

One over in Oakdale might have been the last to close, but I last was in that one about 35 years ago.

The advent of the multiplex theaters and surround sound killed the drive in's, that and the value of land increased enough to make owners want to cash out for an easier life.

I can remember the ritual of the family driving home to St. Cloud from my Grandparents in St. Paul (Como area). We'd be listening to "Mystery Theater" on WCCO, and it was always a treat to drive by that drive-in on 694 & University, squinting from a distance, and craning as we drove by, just to see if we could tell what movie was playing.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the drive-in in Cottage Grove is still open. At least it was about 3 or 4 years ago. We took the kids there to see one of the "Pirates of the Caribbean" sequels.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 01:41:42 PM »

Anyway...

I can remember the ritual of the family driving home to St. Cloud from my Grandparents in St. Paul (Como area). We'd be listening to "Mystery Theater" on WCCO, and it was always a treat to drive by that drive-in on 694 & University, squinting from a distance, and craning as we drove by, just to see if we could tell what movie was playing.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the drive-in in Cottage Grove is still open. At least it was about 3 or 4 years ago. We took the kids there to see one of the "Pirates of the Caribbean" sequels.

Yeah, we did that front/back neck-crane thing too!   ;D

And if CG is still open, heck, might just need to make a pilgrimage!

Hey, whataya know?!  Two in easy reach of the cities and 4 more outstate!

http://www.drive-ins.com/theaters/mn/status_op=open

I thought they were all but killed off.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 04:20:17 PM »

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 05:28:48 PM »
Can't wait.

Whaaat?  A drive-in drive-in?!  Really?

There's one about 2 hours from you...well, the way I drive.  Probably closer to 2 and a half for most people.
My doctor told me to start killing people.  Not in those exact words, she said I had to reduce the stress in my life.

Same thing.