Author Topic: Things that can no longer be found  (Read 4456 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Things that can no longer be found
« on: April 30, 2012, 11:22:41 PM »
Is it "Economy", "TEOTWAWKI", "the Departed"?

My dollar two-eighty blue, plastic, under-the-counter paper towel holder busted apart.  Rotsa ruck finding a replacement.  They used to be sold in every color -- Scott and Rubbermaid used to market 'em.

Today, I can get any color I want as long as it's white.

However ...

I CAN get the pole-on-a-base ones in brass or wood (and WHY the HELL would I want that taking room on the counter?); under cabinet ones in a variety of materials and themes, to wit:  Mario Brothers (Kee-riced on a pogo stick!), grape leaves, cows, roosters, but no blue plastic.

Internet search?  Nothing.

What the hell has happened to the markets?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Things that can no longer be found
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 11:26:28 PM »
I can't get my favorite blue jeans anymore. I've tried so many different brands - Levis, Lee, Wrangler..... The only ones I really like that seem to fit me how I like 'em were Polo Jeans. They used to be sold at Kohl's. Now, not to be found anywhere.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 11:34:39 PM »

Those items went missing in a time of relative plenty,
wait till the contraction comes.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 11:39:19 PM »
I can't get my favorite blue jeans anymore. I've tried so many different brands - Levis, Lee, Wrangler..... The only ones I really like that seem to fit me how I like 'em were Polo Jeans. They used to be sold at Kohl's. Now, not to be found anywhere.

Don't get me started on jeans.  Oh?  Too late.

Gunsmith wears Levis, 33 x 31, regular fit.  Hah!  I went online at Christmas and ordered three pairs.  Despite being touted as "Regular", they were low-riders (low waisted) and he couldn't get 'em off fast enough, so they went back.

I thought when I gained a few pounds -- less than five -- I'd be able to find jeans.  Hah!  The sizes were recalculated and I'm in the same boat as I was when a 4 was too big.  Now, 2s are too big and zeros are too small and too long and I hate hemming jeans; they never look right.

My clothes are almost threadbare because I can't find much that fits well and I've not taken the time to sew.  (And adapting patterns are a major ass-pain).  I used to call my sister the pin-queen; she used to complain that I actually -- the noive -- wanted my clothes to fit.

I went looking for porch chairs last year -- lightly padded, folding-type.  One can get them, if one wants tan or brown.  There used to be such a mix of lovely, bright colors, patterns and fabrics.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 11:43:50 PM »

Those items went missing in a time of relative plenty,
wait till the contraction comes.

All over the world?  If ya canna find it on the internet, it's not to be had.

Contraction comes, it passes and then folks willing to make and sell nice goods will surface.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 12:18:35 AM »
In what can only be properly described as a precursor to the stupid ass light bulb ban, you can't find a toilet that flushes with more than 1.6 gallons of water.

But you can find these.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 12:23:28 AM »
In what can only be properly described as a precursor to the stupid ass light bulb ban, you can't find a toilet that flushes with more than 1.6 gallons of water.

But you can find these.

Yah, those are gonna work real good when there's no power for their computer thingies.  Gimme a manual flush, I can self-wash, thankee ver' mush.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 12:25:53 AM »
A night of network television worth spending an evening with.

I don't know about everyone else but I haven't watched an entire evening's worth of network television in twenty years.

These days I have only one network television show that I watch. Everything else is either movies, sports or news.

I guess I don't meet the qualifications for the most desired demographic: young and stupid.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 12:37:07 AM »

I don't know about everyone else but I haven't watched an entire evening's worth of network television in twenty years.

These days I have only one network television show that I watch. Everything else is either movies, sports or news.

I guess I don't meet the qualifications for the most desired demographic: young and stupid.

As far as I'm concerned, and a bunch of you may be too young to remember it this way, but the apogee of my life so far was the 80s.  Everything for sale was plentiful, beautifully colored if not the absolutely best made, but the best could be found -- color, texture, material.  The choice and variety was outstanding, and without the internet.  Things have gone downhill from there.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 07:25:51 AM »

As far as I'm concerned, and a bunch of you may be too young to remember it this way, but the apogee of my life so far was the 80s.  Everything for sale was plentiful, beautifully colored if not the absolutely best made, but the best could be found -- color, texture, material.  The choice and variety was outstanding, and without the internet.  Things have gone downhill from there.

With respect to just about everything I entirely agree with you!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 09:06:44 AM »

Don't get me started on jeans.  Oh?  Too late.

Gunsmith wears Levis, 33 x 31, regular fit.  Hah!  I went online at Christmas and ordered three pairs.  Despite being touted as "Regular", they were low-riders (low waisted) and he couldn't get 'em off fast enough, so they went back.

I thought when I gained a few pounds -- less than five -- I'd be able to find jeans.  Hah!  The sizes were recalculated and I'm in the same boat as I was when a 4 was too big.  Now, 2s are too big and zeros are too small and too long and I hate hemming jeans; they never look right.

My clothes are almost threadbare because I can't find much that fits well and I've not taken the time to sew.  (And adapting patterns are a major ass-pain).  I used to call my sister the pin-queen; she used to complain that I actually -- the noive -- wanted my clothes to fit.

I went looking for porch chairs last year -- lightly padded, folding-type.  One can get them, if one wants tan or brown.  There used to be such a mix of lovely, bright colors, patterns and fabrics.

Buying clothing over the intarweb - you do like to live dangerously!  ;)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 10:53:34 AM »
I CAN get the pole-on-a-base ones in brass or wood (and WHY the HELL would I want that taking room on the counter?);

I'll have to ask the wife. We have limited counter space, but for some reason, there's room for the papertowels. But IF she's happy, I'm happy. ::danceban::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 01:29:44 PM »
I CAN get the pole-on-a-base ones in brass or wood (and WHY the HELL would I want that taking room on the counter?);

I'll have to ask the wife. We have limited counter space, but for some reason, there's room for the papertowels. But IF she's happy, I'm happy. ::danceban::

::whatgives::

To each her own, I guess, Alan.

I know people whose counters are crammed with stuff  ::Hi Mom!::  and I do have some items on mine, but I always kept the towels up and out of the way.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 01:53:22 PM »
We've had the vertical wooden dowel-on-a-base since we moved into our "new" house 11 years ago. Our old house had the under-counter kind, but when we went to buy one for the new house, this kind is what they had at Target, so we adapted.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 02:47:43 PM »
I got a stand up metal thingy, doesn't break, even when I knock it to the floor!

;D   ::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 09:40:37 PM »
I got a stand up metal thingy, doesn't break, even when I knock it to the floor!

;D   ::thumbsup::

Stainless stell paper towel holder on the counter,never breaks and lasts forever.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 09:46:32 PM »

But you can find these.

Have you looked for a home salvage yard??I had to rehab a house a couple of years back and the bathroom was all done in very expensive Kohler fixtures in costom colors,the sink had taken a blow and a chunk was missing but a visit to a salvage yard and I bought one in the right color for 20.bucks which saved me having to redo the whole damned thing. My point is that you can buy old fashioned toilets that will suck down a bath towel.

Just a thought.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 09:49:01 PM »

Good will stores are a veritable treasure trove for that sort of thing. I check them out for anything made of Brass(love the stuff)anf you would be amazed what they do bring in.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2012, 01:53:21 PM »
I have an old wooden under-cabinet holder. It migrated from house to house over the course of my entire childhood, and my mom let me have it in my new(ish) place. It has to be from the 60s. And the wooden rod is almost like a rolling pin. It could make a fine skull-cracker in a pinch.

I used to have those stand-up kind, but I found it frustrating trying to tear a sheet off without pulling the whole contraption over.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 09:46:30 AM »
Is it "Economy", "TEOTWAWKI", "the Departed"?

My dollar two-eighty blue, plastic, under-the-counter paper towel holder busted apart.  Rotsa ruck finding a replacement.  They used to be sold in every color -- Scott and Rubbermaid used to market 'em.

Today, I can get any color I want as long as it's white.

However ...

I CAN get the pole-on-a-base ones in brass or wood (and WHY the HELL would I want that taking room on the counter?); under cabinet ones in a variety of materials and themes, to wit:  Mario Brothers (Kee-riced on a pogo stick!), grape leaves, cows, roosters, but no blue plastic.

Internet search?  Nothing.

What the hell has happened to the markets?

Just have to know where to look... ;)

Sample towel racks from Home Depot
My doctor told me to start killing people.  Not in those exact words, she said I had to reduce the stress in my life.

Same thing.