Author Topic: Glory days ...  (Read 7015 times)

charlesoakwood

Re: Glory days ...
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2012, 11:38:58 PM »

So after slamming Springsteen I figured I ought to come back and post some of the stuff that I do like so you can see how truly odd I am when it comes to music.  ::angel:: After all, most everyone on the planet likes Springsteen. I'm just odd that way.

I guess I'm odd too then. In fact, I'm really odd, because I have a pretty long list of musicians that "everybody" loves and says are the greatest ever, that I either can't stand, or at best I'm not as impressed as "everybody".

Bruce Springsteen
John Mellencamp
Bob Dylan
Neil Young
Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton
The Rolling Stones
Tom Petty
Janis Joplin
The Doors
The Who
Cheap Trick

Those are just the ones that spring to mind.

Dylan wrote many good lyrics, it wasn't a rock genre.
The Doors did one good album, otherwise a super list
of infamy.

Unmentioned in either category is that all time blues band, Cream.

Cream - Crossroads (Live At The Fillmore) Wheels of Fire

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2012, 11:48:18 PM »
I saw Cream.  Sophomore year, '69, local boys Catholic high school.  One of my first dates.  I don't remember a damn thing about the music.

If it's any comfort, IDP, I never could stand Joplin (scrEAming!  My friend admonished me, "it's not screaming, it's wailing".  Yeah, okay.) nor Hendrix (never will appreciate the "let me see how many notes I can play in a minute whether it makes musical sense or not").  Still don't.

Didn't really get into The Who, nor Cheap Trick, but I do still like Petty -- "... don't back down ...".

We've a ten-year difference in age, maybe it matters at some points and particulars, maybe it doesn't, and that doesn't account for the male/female approach to things either.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2012, 12:45:57 AM »

and for the trainees...

Another one bites the dust Queen

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2012, 06:28:29 AM »
The Faces - I'm Losing You

They really should have been more popular then they were.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2012, 06:52:30 AM »
The Faces - I'm Losing You

They really should have been more popular then they were.

Yup. That there was a helluva band. Beck is one of my all-time faves. I just LOVE what his guitar playing evolved into. I don't know if you've seen it, but there's a special on the classic music channels of his band playing in a small nightclub to a bunch of VIPs. It's unbelievably cool, and for anyone unfamiliar with him or unconvinced of his unique virtuosity, it serves as a prime example. Must-see for Jeff Beck fans. You'll be calling people into the room saying, "Listen to THIS."
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2012, 07:15:05 AM »
I've liked Beck for a long time.  People forget he replaced Clapton with the Yardbirds and Jimmy Page started playing bass with them before becoming a lead guitarist.  His brief collaboration with Rod Stewart and Ronnie Wood was pretty good too.  The Beck-Stewart combo on "People Get Ready" in the mid-80's is one of my all-time fav's. 
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2012, 07:20:16 AM »
And while we're posting our guilty pleasures...another underrated band, at least before 1975 or so, then they became the most overrated band in history.

Bee Gees - New York Mining Disaster 1941 [Promo Clip 1967]

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2012, 07:32:34 AM »
DISCO?!

::saywhat::

I guess MNHawk wants to get beat up!

:o

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2012, 08:09:56 AM »
You didn't listen!   

Bee Gees had been around a little longer than disco was. 

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2012, 08:15:18 AM »
You're right, I didn't...sorry, reflex move...I used to walk out of bars when house bands would play that vile so-called music...just the sight of those two words sent me over!

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2012, 08:29:10 AM »

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2012, 08:36:33 AM »
Disco? DISCO?!  ::gaah::  That crap's as bad as rap!
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2012, 09:01:22 AM »
It may even be worse!   ::lalanotlistening::

machinegun

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2012, 09:02:53 AM »
Stuff I liked when I was younger I can't stand now like the Carpenters.  I hear it now I turn it off. (I still remember what I was doing when I heard Karen Carpenter died.  Kinda weird cause even when I was a fan I wasn't that much of a fan...I didn't own an album  ::whatgives::)
Didn't like Queen but now I love it...drives the kids nuts.  "Mom! Can you turn that down?"

Then there are the days I put on Dean Martin and the kids roll their eyes.

I rarely join in a conversation about music......because they're usually started by people who know way more about it than I do.  I'm happy to like what I like.

I'm going to hear this guy in concert this summer:

Mat Kearney- Lifeline

from the album City of Black and White by Matt Kearney--I love every song on that album and that doesn't usually happen for me
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2012, 09:26:06 AM »
Did someone say disco?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkURpZFniyk

People have WAY too much time on their hands to figure stuff like this out... but I'm really glad they do!
 ::cool:: ::hysterical::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2012, 11:26:16 AM »
Did someone say disco?

People have WAY too much time on their hands to figure stuff like this out... but I'm really glad they do!

This is what I used to do - and I was pretty good at spontaneously recognizing the similarities and "morphing" one tune into something unexpectedly different. They have a term for it now - "mash-up" courtesy of software that makes it easy to lift tracks and loop, etc.

Except that I did it live...

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2012, 11:28:24 AM »

Old School "skilz"!   ::thumbsup::

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2012, 02:22:51 PM »
Did someone say disco?

and that was the last time you'll get me to listen to those willingly

which is soooo awesome...I love it when I get to hear someone do that live
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2012, 04:03:10 PM »
Did someone say disco?

This is what I used to do - and I was pretty good at spontaneously recognizing the similarities and "morphing" one tune into something unexpectedly different. They have a term for it now - "mash-up" courtesy of software that makes it easy to lift tracks and loop, etc.

I'm thinking that probably required some pretty good hallucinogens?

/I can't believe I watched that much of that...
My doctor told me to start killing people.  Not in those exact words, she said I had to reduce the stress in my life.

Same thing.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2012, 04:09:03 PM »
I like Disco.

I like to dance.   ::bustamove::

I like "Thriller". 

I like Dino, too (Chapel in the Moonlight; Return To Me).  And Patsy Cline and Roy Orbison and R.E.M. and ....
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"