Author Topic: Glory days ...  (Read 7016 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Glory days ...
« on: May 06, 2012, 01:03:00 AM »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Glory days ...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 10:06:54 AM »
Always thought he was a schmuck. The more I learned of his politics the more I felt vindicated in my POV. I have recognized the appeal of some of his stuff however and I have shamelessly ripped it off on occasion.  ::evil::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 04:24:17 PM »
Oh, he's a big-time schmuck.  He always was, although I didn't know it at the time.

I loved that song; there wasn't a time or place that if I heard it, I didn't feel the urge to get up and dance.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 04:37:23 PM »
I've never been a fan of Springsteen. I guess it's his style maybe - just seems like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 11:43:47 PM by BMG »
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 11:34:06 PM »
So after slamming Springsteen I figured I ought to come back and post some of the stuff that I do like so you can see how truly odd I am when it comes to music.  ::angel:: After all, most everyone on the planet likes Springsteen. I'm just odd that way.

My taste in music is pretty much all over the place. There are some things I won't listen to: Opera, rap, punk, screamo - stuff like that. But I have Christian rock, soft rock, hard rock, country, rockabilly and classical (and a buncha stuff in between!) on my play list. I usually don't pay much attention to the artist's politics either - if I like the music I like the music and will listen.

Anyway, here's a sample of some of it:

Sweet Comfort Band - Perfect Timing

Petra Captured DVDrip 08 Juda's Kiss Greg X Volz
I found this live version without the back-masked into. I never cared for the back-masking in the original but at the time (early 80's) that was a big thing in the music industry. Anyway, the back-masking said (when translated); "What are you looking for the devil for when you oughta be looking for the Lord?"

Johnny Horton The battle of New Orleans lyrics

The Hollies - Long, Cool Woman (In A Black Dress) (Original Stereo)

The Moody Blues - Your Wildest Dreams

Creedence Clearwater Revival-Suzie Q

Sarah McLachlan - Sweet Surrender Lyrics

The Cranberries - Dreams (Original Version)

Queensryche - Another Rainy Night

Pink Floyd - Learning To Fly

Doobie Brothers- What A fool Believes

Fleetwood Mac - Dreams [with lyrics]
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 11:47:39 PM by BMG »
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 11:43:24 PM »
Eh, Springsteen.  I had a teacher that was into him so much when he first hit the big time that it turned me off and I never could get past the first impression of the incessant claim that the the boss was the best thing ever--though I liked some songs but never enough to buy a whole album.  None of his songs will ever be in my playlist now because his politics ruined them for me.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 12:25:52 AM »
So after slamming Springsteen I figured I ought to come back and post some of the stuff that I do like so you can see how truly odd I am when it comes to music.  ::angel:: After all, most everyone on the planet likes Springsteen. I'm just odd that way.

My taste in music is pretty much all over the place. There are some things I won't listen to: Opera, rap, punk, screamo - stuff like that. But I have Christian rock, soft rock, hard rock, country, rockabilly and classical (and a buncha stuff in between!) on my play list. I usually don't pay much attention to the artist's politics either - if I like the music I like the music and will listen.

Anyway, here's a sample of some of it:

Sweet Comfort Band - Perfect Timing

Meh.

Petra Captured DVDrip 08 Juda's Kiss Greg X Volz
I found this live version without the back-masked into. I never cared for the back-masking in the original but at the time (early 80's) that was a big thing in the music industry. Anyway, the back-masking said (when translated); "What are you looking for the devil for when you oughta be looking for the Lord?"

Meh.

Johnny Horton The battle of New Orleans lyrics

Oooold time favorite!  Good choice.

The Hollies - Long, Cool Woman (In A Black Dress) (Original Stereo)

Not bad.

The Moody Blues - Your Wildest Dreams

Excellent!  One of my favorites.  Almost anything Moody Blues is.

Creedence Clearwater Revival-Suzie Q

CCR did lots of good stuff.  "Centerfield" is one o' the better uns.

Sarah McLachlan - Sweet Surrender Lyrics

"In the Arms of the Angels" is better.

The Cranberries - Dreams (Original Version)

Pass.

Queensryche - Another Rainy Night

Pink Floyd - Learning To Fly

Pass, pass.

Doobie Brothers- What A fool Believes

Fleetwood Mac - Dreams [with lyrics]

Love these both.  Played my 'Mac cassette to bits.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 12:48:57 AM »
Good call on Cranberries. I've never liked short hair on girls but I'd make a happy exception for Miss O'Riordan.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 06:49:30 AM »

I guess I'm odd too then. In fact, I'm really odd, because I have a pretty long list of musicians that "everybody" loves and says are the greatest ever, that I either can't stand, or at best I'm not as impressed as "everybody".

Bruce Springsteen
John Mellencamp
Bob Dylan
Neil Young
Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton
The Rolling Stones
Tom Petty
Janis Joplin
The Doors
The Who
Cheap Trick

Those are just the ones that spring to mind.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 06:55:36 AM »
Springsteen only has a slightly better signing voice than Bob Dylan and that's about it.  Not a big fan of either.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 08:09:16 AM »
Neil Young has only one good album IMO, and it's the one all his real fans hate: Trans from 1982. Processing his voice through a vocoder is the only thing that makes him sound good. It's a pretty innovative album, in an electric-guitar-meets-Kraftwerk way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XphZydaPj4
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 08:17:54 AM by Glock32 »
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 11:58:23 AM »
I guess I'm odd too then. In fact, I'm really odd, because I have a pretty long list of musicians that "everybody" loves and says are the greatest ever, that I either can't stand, or at best I'm not as impressed as "everybody".

Bruce Springsteen
John Mellencamp
Bob Dylan
Neil Young
Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton
The Rolling Stones
Tom Petty
Janis Joplin
The Doors
The Who
Cheap Trick

Ya know Priest, I'm right there with ya on all of those except the Stones...but I have to be in the right mood to listen to them so they certainly aren't a favorite, but they do make in onto the bottom of my playlist. I must admit to having seen Cheap Trick in concert once too - but that was only because they were opening for Huey Lewis & the News. :)

@Pan:

Moody Blues! I have everything by them and love it all - even the weirder stuff.  ::angel:: Saw them in concert at an open-air amphitheater in Michigan when I was in college - awesome concert! I could have done without the pot smokers in front of me, but the music was great!

And as far as that Doobie Brothers song below, it's not so much the Doobie Brothers I like as it is Michael MacDonald. That guy has a fabulous voice!

And I'm right there with ya on Johnny Horton too. In fact, here's a couple more!  ::thumbsup::

North To Alaska ~ Johnny Horton

Sink The Bismarck - Johnny Horton

Springtime In Alaska ~ Johnny Horton

Johnny Horton Johnny Reb lyrics

Johnny Horton- Battle of Bull Run

Johnny Horton - All For The Love of A Girl
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 12:06:38 PM by BMG »
- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 01:37:16 PM »
BMG, Horton's "Battle of New Orleans" always reminds me of this one:

Kelly´s Heroes-Soundtrack(Burning Bridges)

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 03:44:57 PM »
1983.  A just emerging guitar player out of Austin, TX opening for the Moody Blues = Best Concert Evah

Stevie Ray Vaughan...the only time an unknown opening act totally blew me away.

Bruce Springsteen
John Mellencamp
Bob Dylan
Neil Young
Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton
The Rolling Stones
Tom Petty
Janis Joplin
The Doors
The Who
Cheap Trick

This list though.  It's like, dude, a history of late 60's and 70's rock, there.

But I'll give you Clapton as a solo artist.  I've never got the popularity.  It's a pale shadow of his 60's bands.  The rest I can't take away from, even if I don't like the politics, or they aren't totally my cup of tea.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 03:56:44 PM »
Let's try this.  Underrated artists, or at least artists that didn't sell a whole lot of records.  Try not to get too obscure.

The Yardbirds (Clapton, Beck, Page, need I say more)
Love (came out of the same scene as the Doors, but never caught on nationally for some reason)
Roxy Music (who says proggers couldn't dance  ::danceban:: )
The Strawbs (I've always loved these guys...now a Glenn Beck trivia question for an oddball song called "Part of the Union")
Velvet Underground (Lou Reed, John Cale, Sterling Morrison, and Tea Party activist Mo Tucker)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 04:12:34 PM »

Bruce Springsteen
John Mellencamp
Bob Dylan
Neil Young
Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton
The Rolling Stones
Tom Petty
Janis Joplin
The Doors
The Who
Cheap Trick

This list though.  It's like, dude, a history of late 60's and 70's rock, there.

Not really, from my way of thinking, and I'll explain why by naming the bands from that era that resonated for me:
The Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Deep Purple
Black Sabbath
Yes
Pink Floyd
Crosby, Stills, & Nash (Like CSN&Y too, and think Neil Young was MUCH better as a contributing musician than as a solo artist IMHO)
Simon & Garfunkel
Chicago
Elton John
Jeff Beck Group
Fleetwood Mac
The Guess Who
Stevie Wonder
Carpenters (Yes, Carpenters, OK, I'm outed)
James Gang

...So you can see, there are a whole lot of bands from that era that were huge that I like a lot. My list of dislikes has some pretty prominent names on it though, I admit.

I forgot a couple others on the can't stand list: CCR and the Grateful Dead.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 05:22:12 PM »
Some of those I'd put into my underrated post

Jeff Beck Group (all of them...3 different groups I think...through the fusion albums of the mid 70's) How many people really know the original Jeff Beck group had Rod Stewart on vocals?

and that reminds me
The Faces (seriously monster talent with Rod Stewart, Ron Wood, Kenny Jones, Ronnie Lane, Ian McLagan...a supergroup based on what they'd later accomplish)

James Gang

The rest, yes, all monster, although a couple of those probably didn't age that well...The Guess Who comes to mind.  A few hits but a lot of filler, if you've listened beyond the Greatest Hits album.  And not commenting on style, did the Carpenters have any substance beyond the hits?

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 06:03:50 PM »
...And not commenting on style, did the Carpenters have any substance beyond the hits?

To me, they were ALL hits....

::guitar:: ::beavisbutthead::

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Miltrainer

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 07:28:01 PM »

Bruce Springsteen
John Mellencamp
Bob Dylan
Neil Young
Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton
The Rolling Stones
Tom Petty
Janis Joplin
The Doors
The Who
Cheap Trick
r

IDP--- I agreed with you on all except until you reached Cheap Trick. Oh well  ::whatgives:: I guess we can't agree on all of it.
You want the truth?....You can't handle the truth!

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2012, 08:16:01 PM »
So after slamming Springsteen I figured I ought to come back and post some of the stuff that I do like so you can see how truly odd I am when it comes to music.  ::angel:: After all, most everyone on the planet likes Springsteen. I'm just odd that way.

Bruce Springsteen
John Mellencamp
Bob Dylan
Neil Young
Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton
The Rolling Stones
Tom Petty
Janis Joplin
The Doors
The Who
Cheap Trick

Geez Louise, you're a hard man to please  :o