Author Topic: The Job Market is now kobayashi-maru test  (Read 1658 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: The Job Market is now kobayashi-maru test
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 12:38:01 PM »
I like the idea of going to a prospective employer and saying, "I have the equivalent of a masters degree in _____, but I am entirely self-taught in order to avoid untenable debt. Please give me the opportunity to demonstrate."

That may still be an approach that would be overlooked by many employers for a more conventionally educated candidate, but looking at the education bubble and the decreasing value of a university degree, I think such an approach has an increasingly viable future.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 12:42:07 PM »
On the other hand, Gunsmith's company has recently announced that they are moving to a totally-degree-d workforce.  They will be "attriting" those without one.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 12:52:18 PM »
On the other hand, Gunsmith's company has recently announced that they are moving to a totally-degree-d workforce.  They will be "attriting" those without one.

May I ask what industry?
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 12:57:58 PM »

May I ask what industry?

IT.  And word is a tech-school certification won't count.

So, apparently, if one has a BA in Early Childhood Education, they'd rather have that credential, which provides absolutely no value to them as employers.

How f'd up is that?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 01:19:21 PM »

IT.  And word is a tech-school certification won't count.

Man, talk abut F'd up.  The incompetence  follies that I have been dealing with at a MAJOR BANK in the last week have just been staggering. One would think with all of the unemployment, you would have qualified people.  Excuse the tech jargon, but this guy couldn't subnet his network properly and then argued about it when we showed him the IPs he gave us weren't in the subnet. Then he complained about DTMF "sounding funny" - which it would because we was trying to run DTMF over a codec that anyone with experience would know  would make it sound funny, but then wouldn't accept that it was expected and normal.  Then he has one  server returning a 404 ( number not found)  out of 8 - The same message is sent to all 8. His conclusion? The server sending the message has a corrupted hard drive, because "what else could it be?" The Server in question uses RAID - so one bad hard drive wouldn't do it..

For those not technically inclined,  this is all  like blaming the traffic signal for your failure to signal, the DMV for requiring you to have a license plate,   and complaining your headlamp beams are on bright, when you set them that way

Degrees and Credentials MEAN NOTHING anymore. A company using those to "weed out the chafe" is going to get guys like this.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 01:31:59 PM »
Degrees and Credentials MEAN NOTHING anymore. A company using those to "weed out the chafe" is going to get guys like this.

'Struth.  Many 40-something guys moved up in this industry from the "terminals", the ground floor.  They're not operating by rote; they know WHY and HOW things work.  Some of them have degrees, many don't; but, if they're in the industry for 20-something years, moving up into more and more complicated work, THAT'S their degrees.  And these are the people slated for elimination?

Oy vey.

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 01:37:48 PM »
Some of them have degrees, many don't; but, if they're in the industry for 20-something years, moving up into more and more complicated work, THAT'S their degrees.  And these are the people slated for elimination?

Oy vey.

...and in the end, the company will be cutting it's own throat because of this misguided practice.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 01:46:21 PM »
Some of them have degrees, many don't; but, if they're in the industry for 20-something years, moving up into more and more complicated work, THAT'S their degrees.  And these are the people slated for elimination?

Oy vey.

...and in the end, the company will be cutting it's own throat because of this misguided practice.

Absolutely.  I have a degree in nuttin' and I know that.

Makes one wonder, though, what degrees have the brainiacs who thunk this one up, business management?

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 02:00:00 PM »
I guess I could understand if they were planing to install a new policy that would require any new hires have a degree. But even that is a bit silly. I've met a number of people without degrees that could run rings around people with degrees in their chosen field. I think a better policy would be to 'hire the BEST person for the job REGARDLESS of education'. So long as the prospective employee can prove they know what they're doing, I don't see what it matters.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 02:07:33 PM »

You can pay degreed people less because a degree is worthless....

Soooo replace the more experienced, EXPENSIVE employees with new hires that have degrees but are grateful for a job at a lot less pay.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 02:14:41 PM »

You can pay degreed people less because a degree is worthless....

Soooo replace the more experienced, EXPENSIVE employees with new hires that have degrees but are grateful for a job at a lot less pay.

Exactly.  And then?  They get what they pay for.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 06:51:42 PM »

Which ever; the company is pursuing a path of self destruction,
it's time to look for a more stable work environment.