Author Topic: EPA & Cattle drones  (Read 3194 times)

charlesoakwood

EPA & Cattle drones
« on: June 04, 2012, 09:22:03 PM »

Eye in the sky: EPA defends feedlot flyovers

In response to criticism last week, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency claims it has legal authority and precedent for using aerial photography to monitor compliance with the Clean Water Act.

The issue came to light when U.S. Senator Mike Johanns (R-Neb.) announced he, along with all of Nebraska’s Congressional delegation, had sent a letter to EPA administrator Lisa Jackson questioning the agency’s motivation and legal authority for using aerial surveillance of Nebraska livestock operations.

Drovers/CattleNetwork posted an article titled “Johanns questions EPA on feedlot flyovers,” on Thursday outlining the issue, based in part on an AgriTalk Radio interview with Johanns. AgriTalk is a partner with Drovers/CattleNetwork, with both organizations under the ownership of Vance Publishing Corporation.

Following the interview, EPA’s Region 7 office, which covers Iowa, Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska, provided the following response. “For nearly a decade, EPA has used aerial over-flights to verify compliance with environmental laws in impaired watersheds. Aerial over-flights are a cost-effective tool that helps the Agency and our state partners minimize costs and reduce the number of on-site inspections across the country as the Agency focuses on areas of the greatest concern. For animal feeding operations, EPA uses over-flights, state records and other publicly available sources of information to identify discharges of pollution. In no case has EPA taken an enforcement action solely on the basis of these over-flights. EPA and other state and federal agencies also use aircraft for responding to emergencies such as chemical releases or to assess environmental disasters.”
...*
Continued here.

Comments (1)
r moreland
kentucky  |   June, 04, 2012 at 02:03 PM

folks it is just a matter of time before the fed govt begins using drones to monitor all farm activity. i am waitng on the tax to be paid to the govt for raising cattle. a simple drone fly over to get a head count of cows or anything else they want to tax you for. until the liberals are gone it is only going to get worse...

*Pull

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: EPA & Cattle drones
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 09:42:29 PM »
You're right Charles - only it doesn't need to be countered with discharges (intended or otherwise  ;D )

Just starve the beast. They can't fly what they don't have fuel for. Find and nurture people who will vote to defund these bastards.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 07:11:26 AM »
Shoot 'em down, what the EPA gonna do?  Invade?  Bring it on!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 10:37:18 AM »
What does it take to bring one of these things down? I'm thinking that could be hella good fun.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 11:13:31 AM »
I suspect you'd have to have your own aircraft and some high velocity birdshot.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 11:35:39 AM »
Get an RC plane and ram it!

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 11:43:10 AM »
These things fly at 60,000 feet.  Unless you have a Surface to Air missile you are not going to get close to it.  The only recourse is to try and make it illegal for the government to spy on citizens.
Eschew Obfuscation

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 11:49:25 AM »
These things fly at 60,000 feet.  Unless you have a Surface to Air missile you are not going to get close to it.  The only recourse is to try and make it illegal for the government to spy on citizens.

Yeah, that'll work.

::unknowncomic::

charlesoakwood

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 12:07:15 PM »

Laura Ingel says they will be permitted to fly up to 400 feet above the ground.
To what height do we own the air space above our property?

Police Surveillance Drones Coming Soon to Local Law Enforcement T-Hawk

MONTGOMERY COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE HED: As the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office gears up to employ an unmanned helicopter to hunt criminals and find missing persons,...etc

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=police+drone+aircraft&qpvt=police+drone+aircraft&FORM=VDRE#x72y1164

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=police+drone+aircraft&qpvt=police+drone+aircraft&FORM=IGRE#x53y220

Pressure builds for civilian drone flights at home

The $4 million Air-based Technologies Program , which will test and evaluate small, unmanned aircraft systems, is designed to be a "middleman" between drone manufacturers and first-responder agencies "before they jump into the pool," said John Appleby, a manager in the DHS Science and Technology Directorate's division of borders and maritime security.

Appleby provided program details to a friendly audience at the  Counter Terror Expo here last week. Just days before, the Federal Aviation Administration had issued new rules to streamline licensing for government agencies seeking to operate lightweight drones.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 12:10:14 PM »
Get an RC plane and ram it!

Good idea, great fun and no discharges.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 12:50:18 PM »
I suspect you'd have to have your own aircraft and some high velocity birdshot.

Basically that is the only recourse. Build you own airforce. Fight fire with fire. And target those who would infringe upon our privacy rights.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 01:53:09 PM »

That picture right there is a godforsaken abomination...this whole militarization of the civil police forces.  Every red blooded American should be demanding their dissolution immediately.  That we tolerate this in our midst is the real reason we are declining as a country.

The Founders fought a war against the most powerful empire on the planet at that time, against all odds, to secure themselves and their posterity from such abuses. Later generations fought in foreign wars to halt the spread of tyranny that might one day threaten our own shores. They did not bleed and die just so we could bear witness to the development of a new Waffen SS right here in our own land.

- Yours Truly

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 02:42:52 PM »
Yeah, sorry assed state of affairs we've let ourselves sink into.

As for the bird, ain't that big, I think it can be got. 

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 03:04:58 PM »
Those smaller UAV's (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles) do fly in the "reachable" altitudes, and the controller (Pilot) is probably not too far away.  If it looks like an RC aircraft it can be gotten from the ground.
Eschew Obfuscation

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 06:36:25 AM »
Oh, and Co, as far as - "To what height do we own the air space above our property?"

As far as I can see!

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 01:34:34 PM »
I'm pretty sure the courts have ruled that you don't "own" any of the airspace above.  I seem to recall reading somewhere about a challenge to the legality of radio transmissions "trespassing" on private property.

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 01:51:14 PM »

We do own a certain amount of airspace.  If you want to add a story
to your house there is no air restriction.  If you want to run an electric
wire from your house to your garage you may, barring idiot city codes,
run it at the height you choose.  If you want to put a CB antenna in the
back yard you may, barring idiot city codes.  There is a certain height that
is controlled by the govt.  A tower of a certain height requires lights etc.
below that height it doesn't.  There is a specified height.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 05:39:15 PM »
All that only applies if you respect their unlawful interpretation, I don't.  Mass civil disobedience in many things is long overdue.  How else will anything get pushed back?