Author Topic: Help me Gunsmith!  (Read 3534 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Help me Gunsmith!
« on: June 25, 2012, 09:12:59 PM »
I have a 1980 Marlin "Glenfield" Model 30 GT 30-30 Win. I need an owner's manual for it, which is proving to be more difficult than I had anticipated. I have gotten as far as to learn that these guns are essentially the same as the Marlin Model 336.

I would be comfortable with a 336 manual if I knew for sure that it was a match for my particular rifle, but there are several versions of the 336, and I don't know whether these versions are materially different from one another or not. IF a 336 manual will suffice, is there a particular version of the 336 I should look for?

Any guidance?

ETA: I found a parts diagram blow-up, but I'm looking for specific stripping, cleaning, oiling, and reassembly instructions.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Help me Gunsmith!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 09:20:41 PM »
IDP, he just left for work.  I'll direct his attention here in the morning.

Let not your heart be troubled; if he doesn't know, he'll find out for you.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 09:28:54 PM »
 ::beertoast:: ::bows:: ::whoohoo::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 09:35:40 PM »
http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm

Try this I'm pretty sure it's in here;

H/T Rigpa at the grouchies: He found it I just knew where to look.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 09:44:12 PM »

Very nice.  Worthy of a donation.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 09:46:36 PM »

I found that page in my searches. The Marlin 336 is in there, but not the Marlin Glenfield 30 GT. I'm thinking I'll likely end up with the manual for the 336, but I want to make sure.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 09:50:24 PM »

Very nice.  Worthy of a donation.

That is a helluva resource, isn't it?

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 10:03:16 PM »

Posts like that always cause expiditionary reactions.

http://www.nramuseum.org/the-museum/the-galleries/firearms-traditions-for-today/case-78-the-long-arm-of-the-law/high-standard-model-10b-semi-automatic-tactical-shotgun.aspx

[blockquote]highstandard.com/specials.html

*** Russian Krinkov Style - SBR -(Limited Quantity)
Only price...............................................................................$2700
Made from New Condition Russian Kit - all matching numbers - NoDak receiver -
5.45 x 39 mm
1 Bakelite magazine

*** Russian Model 91/30 - Rifle -(Limited Quantity)
Retail .................................................................................$139.50
Dealer ......................................................Price on Request
7.62X54 mm - Excellent to New Condition
Includes accessory pack (sling,ammo pouch, oiler, tools, and cleaning kit) - WW II era
 [/blockquote]

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 10:15:48 PM »
  We should really pin that sucker for ever.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 10:40:20 PM »

and another one, shazam...

mausergun.com/index.shtml

Russin Model 91/30 7.62x54R Rifle
Most are War Time Dated. All the Original Numbers on Rifle Match.
Accessories Include: Bayonet, Cleaning Rod, Cleaning Kit, Sling, Oiler, and Ammo Pouch.
Prices Starting at $119 plus Shipping and Handling

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 11:27:14 PM »
I like the Mosin-Nagant rifles.  They definitely have what you might call shoulder authority.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 07:15:50 AM »
Is the Marlin GT30 like the Marlin 336T?  If so I think the manual for the 336 would work.  The year seems to match when the T's were made.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 07:17:12 AM »

That's a good link!   ::thumbsup::

A biscuit each for John & Rigpa!

ETA - Supply your own sauce/gravy.   ;D

Offline Gunsmith

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 08:08:43 AM »
Hello IDP and everyone!

The Marlin Lever actions are all at heart the same so a 336 manual should serve your purpose just fine.   Often the difference between models are subtle.  i.e. Using coil hammer spring instead of a flat spring, or safety moved to the top tang vs down on the trigger guard or just different wood for the furniture, etc.

If my memory serves me correctly the Marlins do have two slight concerns the square bolts gun's recievers are slightly weaker so use only standard cartridges, NO HOT loads. (if yours is a round bolt then no worries, although HOT loads are still not a good idea) The other is the "Marlin jam", this is when a cartridge get out of the mag tube and under the carrier and jams between it and the trigger guard plate. Other lever actions can have this issue but Marlin's seem to be a bit more prone to it.

My question to you is: How far are you planning to strip this down?

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 09:12:54 AM »
Hello IDP and everyone!

The Marlin Lever actions are all at heart the same so a 336 manual should serve your purpose just fine.   Often the difference between models are subtle.  i.e. Using coil hammer spring instead of a flat spring, or safety moved to the top tang vs down on the trigger guard or just different wood for the furniture, etc.

If my memory serves me correctly the Marlins do have two slight concerns the square bolts gun's recievers are slightly weaker so use only standard cartridges, NO HOT loads. (if yours is a round bolt then no worries, although HOT loads are still not a good idea) The other is the "Marlin jam", this is when a cartridge get out of the mag tube and under the carrier and jams between it and the trigger guard plate. Other lever actions can have this issue but Marlin's seem to be a bit more prone to it.

Great info, thank you!

That is one reason why I was looking specifically for the original owner's manual rather than the blow-up diagram. I never strip a gun down beyond the point in which the manufacturer recommends a gunsmith take over. So along with the step-by-step instructions, I need to know where to stop. Why do you ask?

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 09:18:59 AM »
Is the Marlin GT30 like the Marlin 336T?  If so I think the manual for the 336 would work.  The year seems to match when the T's were made.

Yes. The "Glenfield" 30GT was supposedly exactly the same mechanically as the 336 except that rather than the stock being walnut (336) the Glenfields have a hardwood stock stained walnut, and the 336 has a 20" barrel while the 30GT has an 18.5" barrrel. The GTs were a bit less expensive, and marketed to retailers like Sears, Walmart, etc.

My questions arose when I started looking at the 336. There are several versions of that particular model, and I wanted to make sure that if there was a different manual for the different models, I got the one that most closely matches my Glenfield.

But that sounds like it was a moot concern, since as Gunsmith stated, the Marlin lever actions are all put together the same way.

ETA: Oh, and I found out while researching online last night that the "T" in 336T and 30GT stands for "Texan", so I might have put 2 and 2 together myself, but we have a forum Gunsmith!  ::cool::
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 09:25:34 AM by IronDioPriest »

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gunsmith

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 10:04:11 AM »

That is one reason why I was looking specifically for the original owner's manual rather than the blow-up diagram. I never strip a gun down beyond the point in which the manufacturer recommends a gunsmith take over. So along with the step-by-step instructions, I need to know where to stop. Why do you ask?

The reason I ask is there is a specific order of steps to dissamble these guns unless you research and find the "Take Down" instructions, you may end up bringing a bag of parts to a gunsmith to reassmble and replace the little spring(s) & plunger(s) that could launch into orbit.   It's not rocket science just follow the Take Down instructions, don't skip any steps.

I'm guessing you're looking to perform a complete cleaning/degreasing of all the parts.  I use Simple Green undiluded and rince in very hot water(as hot as your hand can stand without burning), dry with compressed air, then oil all parts with Gunzilla or BreakFree or Ballistol. The barrel clean with whatever you like to clean you barrels with.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 10:09:59 AM by Gunsmith »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 11:41:42 AM »
"ETA: Oh, and I found out while researching online last night that the "T" in 336T and 30GT stands for 'Texan' "

Yup, something in the grip is different too I think, more of a straight stock vs pistol grip or something.

And yes, Gunsmith speaks the truth, don't skip a step!

::oldman::

;)

Offline Gunsmith

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 09:15:07 AM »
IDP,

Have any luck finding take down instructions for your Marlin?

I'll offer you some phone support if you have any questions.  Check your PMs.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 10:17:31 AM by Pandora »

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 10:03:58 AM »
Uhm...might I suggest that info be transmitted via a PM and your post scrubbed? There are 'bots that accumulate such bits & pieces - and not for noble purposes. 

;)