Author Topic: New Disability Regs ....  (Read 710 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
New Disability Regs ....
« on: June 27, 2012, 01:27:15 PM »
The deadline has been extended by the DOJ for compliance with the handicapped pool access regs, however ....

.... new Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) guidelines are already being applied at miniature golf courses, driving ranges, amusement parks, shooting ranges and saunas.

DON - gyms are affected as well.

Among the provisions in the "Revised ADA Standards for Accessible Design," which went into effect on March 15, is one requiring businesses to allow miniature horses on their premises as guide animals for the disabled. Another limits the height of slopes on miniature golf holes.

“The new standards, for the first time, include requirements for judicial facilities, detention and correctional facilities, and recreational facilities,” Assistant Attorney General Thomas E. Perez said during a conference in Baltimore on June 7.

“We expect the implementation of these accessibility standards to open up doors for full participation in both the responsibilities, such as jury duty, and the benefits, such as playing at city parks, of civic life for people with disabilities,” he said.

The 2010 ADA standards for Accessible Design require that at least 50 percent of golf holes on miniature golf courses be “accessible” – with a ground space that is “48 inches minimum by 60 inches minimum with slopes not steeper than 1:48 at the start of play.”

Other regulations include:

Saunas – provision of accessible turning space and an accessible bench.

Shooting facilities – provision of accessible turning space “for each different type of firing position.”

Golf courses – “an accessible route to connect all accessible elements within the boundary.” An accessible route must also “connect golf car rental areas, bag drop areas, teeing grounds, putting greens, and weather shelters.”

Gyms – at least one of each type of exercise machine must be positioned for use by a person in a wheelchair.

Amusement parks – any new or altered ride must provide at least one seat for a person in a wheelchair.

A section of the guidelines regulating commercial facilities states that, “a public accommodation shall make reasonable modifications in policies, practices, or procedures to permit the use of a miniature horse by an individual with a disability if the miniature horse has been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of the individual with a disability.”

A public accommodation is defined as “a private entity that owns, leases (or leases to), or operates a place of public accommodation.”

“Miniature horses were suggested by some commenters as viable alternatives to dogs for individuals with allergies, or for those whose religious beliefs preclude the use of dogs,” the rules state.  Also mentioned as a reason to include the animals is the longer life span of miniature horses – providing approximately 25 years of service as opposed to seven years for dogs.

Check the photo at the link; who is it that considers dogs as "unclean"?

“Some individuals with disabilities have traveled by train and have flown commercially with their miniature horses,” the Justice Department notes.

“Similar to dogs, miniature horses can be trained through behavioral reinforcement to be ‘housebroken,’” it adds.

However, “Ponies and full-size horses are not covered.”

Well, thank God for small favors!  Full-size horses are not covered!

As for the gyms, this could require a full doubling of the onsite equipment!

Folks, this has gone so far beyond UNsane, it's become a caricature of the original intent.  Thank you George H. Bush.  At this point, anything imagined as parody has a fair chance of becoming reality because this guy isn't done yet:

“As I consider the department’s accomplishments to date, and our plans for the future, I continue to take my inspiration from people with disabilities and their families,” Perez said in Baltimore.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
Re: New Disability Regs ....
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 02:38:33 PM »
Gyms – at least one of each type of exercise machine must be positioned for use by a person in a wheelchair.

Every machine I have in my gym is.....positioned.

It's a vague statement.....and not to be crude, but certain challenges render the effective use of some equipment, well.....

Pan, of all ironies, I received a call today from the local Holiday Inn Express, asking about my ADA compliance. Said they cannot recommend fitness centers which are not. Of course, I told her I am. I'm a single level, proper ramps, ADA shower, yada, yada, yada. I thought it odd, because the local motels will recommend me to thier customers.

Now, on to my rant:

I have maybe 3 people with what others label as a disability. ( not including mental) One in a wheelchair, one missing a hand and one other with a prostetic (sp) leg. Let me tell you, they DO NOT want special treatment. They come in, do thier workouts and don't expect any special treatment. They don't feel sorry for themselves. They do not think of themselves as "disabled" or handicapped. I'm damn proud to have them as members and I sure as hell don't treat them "different".

Short story: The kid with one hand. Dad comes in with his kid and asks if he can workout. I kinda took both back when I looked at the kid and asked Dad, "is there a reason he can't workout? I see no reason he can't. So, we sign him up and I read the kid the rules of the gym. Dad confided in me how frustrated he becomes because people treat his son ....DIFFERENT. We had a nice conversation on the whole "disabled" mantra.

First, I realize there are truely some disabled people in this world.....These people are not disabled. They are not handicapped and they sure don't want to be treated as such. Its insulting to them. Our so called "compassion" is so insulting, so belittling.

So let the state come in and inspect my gym....I'm happy to have the discussion over disabilities.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 02:47:39 PM »
Don, having some familiarity with gym equipment, I was thinking about a few of those "positioned" pieces, like the leg-press machine.  What is the friggin point of the government mandated "position" for somebody that can't even use the machine, like someone in a wheelchair whose legs aren't working at all?

It's just damned ridiculous.

So, I'll tell ya what; since even the machines designed for women ::snort::  are too big for me to operate properly, nevermind the ones designed for a medium-sized man that I end up fighting just to stay in the seat, next time I think of it, I'm gonna sue.  I'm being denied my "access" rights.

In the meantime, it's gratifying to know there are folks like you out there, and your well-grounded clients.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 03:37:23 PM »
Don, having some familiarity with gym equipment, I was thinking about a few of those "positioned" pieces, like the leg-press machine.  What is the friggin point of the government mandated "position" for somebody that can't even use the machine, like someone in a wheelchair whose legs aren't working at all?

So, I'll tell ya what; since even the machines designed for women ::snort::  are too big for me to operate properly, nevermind the ones designed for a medium-sized man that I end up fighting just to stay in the seat, next time I think of it, I'm gonna sue.  I'm being denied my "access" rights.

In the meantime, it's gratifying to know there are folks like you out there, and your well-grounded clients.

Pan, if it's like some of the state crap they pass, it will be at least 5 years before anyone shows to check if I'm compliant. Then they will check, i'll take the warning and deal with it in another 5 years.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 05:27:29 PM »

Pan, if it's like some of the state crap they pass, it will be at least 5 years before anyone shows to check if I'm compliant. Then they will check, i'll take the warning and deal with it in another 5 years.

Lol.  Well, kudos to you for finding a way to deal with it all that doesn't have you tearing yer hair out.  You're a better man than I, Gunga Din.   ;)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 10:21:48 PM »

Lol.  Well, kudos to you for finding a way to deal with it all that doesn't have you tearing yer hair out.  You're a better man than I, Gunga Din.   ;)

Pan would run around breaking things in order to cope with it. ::ohno::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie