Author Topic: DirecTV/Viacom Dispute  (Read 574 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
DirecTV/Viacom Dispute
« on: July 11, 2012, 08:52:53 PM »
Several channels on DirecTV are gone...none that I miss all that much, though.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
Re: DirecTV/Viacom Dispute
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 07:22:16 AM »
Let's see, Netflix, still there.  Wall Street Journal Channel still there.  Drama Fever still there.  Crackle, still there.  Crunchyroll still there.  CNET TV, good to go.  GBTV, got it.

I'm covered.  So glad I don't have to fret about another massive (30%?!) price increase for crap I don't watch.

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 06:25:46 AM »
These disputes are actually pretty frequent as the entertainment companies try to renegotiate contracts.  We see them in the market at least a dozen times a year...and that's just on the local broadcast channels that we monitor (both OTA and via CATV).  We see them much more often in the national cable market.
My doctor told me to start killing people.  Not in those exact words, she said I had to reduce the stress in my life.

Same thing.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 10:39:20 AM »
These disputes ultimately boil down to the fact that content producers (and to some extent the end providers too) are trying to force the purchase of content as a package deal. Channels like the LOGO faggot channel probably wouldn't survive in a system where the consumer pays only for the particular channels they want. Everywhere you turn, whether it's government or rent seeking businesses, someone is looking to force you to subsidize crap you don't want or need.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly