Author Topic: Stars Earn Stripes  (Read 1508 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Stars Earn Stripes
« on: August 14, 2012, 10:46:55 AM »
Anybody watch the 2 hour premier of this show last night (8/13/12)? This is the show that was getting hyped all through the Olympics. A bunch of quasi-celebrities at various stages of need for publicity pair up with special ops guys, train for missions, execute, and go through an elimination process, all for charity. It is hosted by Ret. Gen. Weasely Clarke, but thus far, his Leftist politics has not been a factor, as he's played the role of host/general right down the line. The premier, at least, was a celebration of military skill and training, and an affirmation of the dedication, and mental and physical toughness required.

Todd Palin is one of the "celebrities". He is listed as "Todd Palin: Four Time Iron Dog Champion".

The guy is a frikkin monster. His celebrity partner for the exercise damn near drowned, and was taken out of the competition by a rescue jet-ski. Palin finished the course alone (with the aid of two special-ops), and what was supposed to be a four-man operation was now a three-man operation.

The guy bellycrawled through the mud under barbed wire faster than the two special-ops guys. They were both in awe of that fact alone.

The next obstacle was going through knee-deep mud to lift a heavy ammo case and carry it back through the mud to a shed. It was supposed to be a team effort, but since Palin was through the wire first, he went on his own, hoisted the ammo case on his shoulder, and met his special ops teammates on the way back to the shed. His marksmanship was impeccable, even though he only learned to fire a full auto machine gun that day.

I think all the celebrities got some props. But it was clear by the end that Palin is a likable, serious, quiet, tough humble man of great means and inner and outer strength.

Looking forward to more episodes.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Stars Earn Stripes
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 11:16:27 AM »
I remember seeing the ad's and I remember being turned off as soon as I saw that Wes the LeftBot.  But after that review I might have to catch a rerun.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 11:25:57 AM »
I remember seeing the ad's and I remember being turned off as soon as I saw that Wes the LeftBot.  But after that review I might have to catch a rerun.

So far Clarke's politics are a non-factor. He's got a specific function of lending military credibility to the role of host, and he's doing that.

With how passive-aggressively anti-military and Left-wing Clarke's presidential campaign was, the show is somewhat surprisingly 100% pro-military. All the charities standing to benefit from celebrity winnings are military charities.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 11:41:54 AM »
It's OK, I can always watch it and keep the nerf gun handy just in case...

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 01:06:44 PM »
There is a message here for the leftist trash...... Leftist trash, take notice......See Todd Palin? See how he handles adversity? Understand what will happen to your sorry ass if you keep provoking us far right nut jobs?  ::rockets:: machinegun
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 01:31:01 PM »
I remember seeing the ad's and I remember being turned off as soon as I saw that Wes the LeftBot.  But after that review I might have to catch a rerun.

So far Clarke's politics are a non-factor. He's got a specific function of lending military credibility to the role of host, and he's doing that.

With how passive-aggressively anti-military and Left-wing Clarke's presidential campaign was, the show is somewhat surprisingly 100% pro-military. All the charities standing to benefit from celebrity winnings are military charities.

Stanley McChrystal would have been better . Clark was never popular with his fellow officers throughout his career , being viewed by them as a "ticket puncher" and something less than a team player .
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 01:38:45 PM by Sectionhand »

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 02:07:42 PM »
I remember seeing the ad's and I remember being turned off as soon as I saw that Wes the LeftBot.  But after that review I might have to catch a rerun.

Stanley McChrystal would have been better . Clark was never popular with his fellow officers throughout his career , being viewed by them as a "ticket puncher" and something less than a team player .

I specifically remember derisive commentary from former subordinates during the time of his presidential bid, referring to Clarke as "The Porcelain Prince(ess)", (or Porcelain something, can't quite remember). But a quick search for "Wesley Clarke Porcelain" turns up nothing whatsoever.

ETA: AH, it turned up nothing because I had it wrong. It wasn't "Porcelain Prince", it was "The Perfumed Prince"
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 02:46:22 PM by IronDioPriest »

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 08:25:33 PM »

During the last election there was talk about him breaking
an arm in the middle of that cross country he always participates
in and winning it.  Ouch

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 06:34:32 AM »

Yes, and that ticket-puncher would list his resume highlights and you could immediately tell he was a ticket-puncher...to hear his command of NATO one would think he was on par with the likes of Eisenhower and Bradley...in truth he would be lucky to be a wart on Bradley's bum!

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 12:08:18 AM »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 06:00:09 PM »
Yeah, OK, after reading that and remembering what a fuster-cluck he was, I revise my earlier remark from "wart" to "tiny freckle".

::)

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 10:24:22 AM »
Yeah, OK, after reading that and remembering what a fuster-cluck he was, I revise my earlier remark from "wart" to "tiny freckle".

::)

Wow ... talk about a downgrade !

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 07:59:32 PM »
Palin is out.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 08:34:54 PM »
Dangit. Totally missed the finale after watching every episode.

How did Rambo Palin lose?

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 09:43:14 PM »
Tonite was te first episode I've watched.....and crap, the women kicked butt and took names.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 06:36:00 AM »
Lost to Picabo in a shoot out.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 06:44:18 AM »

Wow, I thought if it ever came down to Palin in the shootout he'd have the advantage. He seemed to be the best shot of the group.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 06:58:46 AM »

Wow, I thought if it ever came down to Palin in the shootout he'd have the advantage. He seemed to be the best shot of the group.

She tore it up.