Author Topic: DHS purchases another 750 Million rounds, and starts redacting info  (Read 2398 times)

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
Re: DHS purchases another 750 Million rounds, and starts redacting info
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2012, 07:46:24 PM »
The ubiquitous .22 would be my guess. The most common centerfire would probably be .223/5.56 in rifles and 9mm in pistols.

Thanks G, time to go out and get a .223 long arm.   ;D
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2012, 07:53:22 PM »
The ubiquitous .22 would be my guess. The most common centerfire would probably be .223/5.56 in rifles and 9mm in pistols.

Thanks G, time to go out and get a .223 long arm.   ;D

You and me both. That's one caliber I have never owned a rifle for. I really need to get an AR of some sort. It's really easy to get thoroughly turned around by all the numerous different brands.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2012, 08:01:10 PM »
So that begs the question, what is the most common (easy to find lying around after TEOTWAWKI) caliber?

After TEOTWAWKI there won't be any weapons lying around, not even a shovel, all will be a premium.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2012, 08:04:16 PM »

Thanks G, time to go out and get a .223 long arm.   ;D

You and me both. That's one caliber I have never owned a rifle for. I really need to get an AR of some sort. It's really easy to get thoroughly turned around by all the numerous different brands.

Tell me about it!  I've been kicking arounds options for a while now, and the firearm forums are no help because everybody has their favorite and this vs that fights hog the discussion.

But I did update this thread -

http://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php/topic,3227.0.html

The Huldra looks good to me.  Piston, seems tough and easily broken down, and I won't be putting crappy Rooskie rounds through it and leaving it dirty!  I have to get something and damn soon!

And I agree .223/5.56 in rifle and 9mm in pistol will be most likely rounds laying about or barter likely, and I own neither right now.  But I am less worried over pistol rounds, it's rifle rounds that I need.  And in shotgun 12g will be plentiful I do have those caliber tools.  There could be a smattering of hunting rounds (30-30, 30-06, etc...) and .40SW & .45 ACP & .38spl that may be had here and there.

The operative word is "get"!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2012, 08:04:57 PM »
So that begs the question, what is the most common (easy to find lying around after TEOTWAWKI) caliber?

After TEOTWAWKI there won't be any weapons lying around, not even a shovel, all will be a premium.

"You keep what you kill".   ;)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2012, 08:17:24 PM »

Yuppers.  I think there are NRA certified (insert title) who will
meet you at the range with a trunk load of items.  They will
assist you in deciding upon the most appropriate one for
yourself.

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2012, 05:52:42 PM »
OK everyone, I'm looking at the Ruger Mini 14.  Anyone have anything bad (or good) to say about that particular rifle?  Any particular accessories?  What power scope (assuming I want to hit a target at 75% of the Mini 14's max range)? 
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2012, 06:42:36 PM »
OK everyone, I'm looking at the Ruger Mini 14.  Anyone have anything bad (or good) to say about that particular rifle?  Any particular accessories?  What power scope (assuming I want to hit a target at 75% of the Mini 14's max range)? 

I just have one anecdotal piece of trivia (having never owned one myself). My brother owned one and generally liked it a lot. It had one decidedly negative trait - it was hyper-finicky to misfeeds when cold.

We would gather up all the hardware and go out to a rural powerline ROW to shoot - including the dead of winter. My brother's Mini-14 was the only weapon that would have feed problems when the temps were down near freezing. He had a 'smith look at it and tweak the feed-ramp (as I recall) and it was better but it was never right.

He eventually sold it.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2012, 07:33:49 PM »

Mini 14 Jams

Mini14 Replaced by Ruger
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie