Author Topic: Todd Akin, MO's R Senate candidate, opens mouth inserts foot  (Read 13516 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Re: Todd Akin, MO's R Senate candidate, opens mouth inserts foot
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2012, 09:04:34 PM »
One glimmer of hope is that this entered the news cycle prior to the conventions. I have a feeling the OWS garbage outside of the convention halls are going to push Todd Akin to the back pages of the news.  They're already discovering stashes of bricks, rocks, and other projectile weapons designated with graffiti in Tampa.

Where did you see that? 

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2012/08/22/New-Convention-Threat-Occupy-Graffiti-Weapons-Found-in-Tampa-Near-RNC-Convention-Site

You forget who runs the news cycle. But I hope you're right.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2012, 09:08:21 PM »
I know who runs the news cycle, but I also know there's only so much shelf life they can squeeze out of a particular story. Romney's dog on the roof, Ann Romney never worked a day in her life, Romney killed a man's wife, all these were recent efforts by the media that seem like ancient history now. Let's hope the same will be true for the Missouri Moron.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2012, 09:25:55 PM »

Those stories about them arming up in Tampa are interesting.
I'm sure the convention attendees are reading them also.

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2012, 09:37:16 PM »
Oh My Gawds!  He thought something!  Exactly what holier-than-them higher standard are "we" holding ourselves to here anyway, hmm, since what the man said, and thought, is merely moronic and not something bad he's done or said?  Are "we" in the business of enforcing the politically correct standards of the Left now?

Fine, then.  I predict this sort of nonsense will bite in the end.  And now that I've said my piece, I'm done with it.

By saying he "thought" something, I intended to indicate that he more than simply "said" something - he uttered what he believes, and what he believes is moronic, and demonstrates (to me at least) that he is not the man who conservatives should support for this office at this time. The stakes are too damned high.

I'm not enforcing PC standards of the Left. I simply want our candidate for Senate against the moronic Claire McCaskill to not be a moron. I want the best chance to beat her. Akin ain't it.

ETA: If we had heeded the warning signs in 2010, with Sharron Angle and Christine O'Donnell, we might not have ObamaCare to undo right now. I don't see why we ought not learn a lesson from those mistakes. In my opinion, we have to support the most conservative candidate who can win. Akin just sent up a flare that gives us a glaring warning.

“If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down..."

"I am not a witch."

"I don't know that all of you are Latino. Some of you look a little more Asian to me."

This is nonsense. I am NOT a Republican, I am a conservative. i vote with the Republicans for lack of a better choice, not because I think they are so great. This man was solidly pro-life, What he meant was clear from the tape. it had to be twisted and turned, and clipped and commented on, to make it appear what it was not.  What he said was TRUE.  Trauma DOES affect the chances of a pregnancy.  He said it badly. Tough. It happens. He was giving an interview, and yes, he could have been better. I have seen Karl Rove say stupid stuff too, when thinking on his feet. (NOt that it was stupid, but it left room for a leftist to twist it!)  That is all that happened to Akin. Defending against the attacks on life and liberty cannot take a back seat to a leftists immediate happiness. I will support him even if I have to send him money my self. I do not trust MY money to the RNC anyway. This man is not my enemy, but Claire McKaskill sure is. She HATES me and all that I stand for...freedom....hope...faith....and the US Constitution. These things are her enemy and all that will stand against her.
Btw, this is my first post on this forum.  Let us NEVER form circular firing squads. Take out Claire. let her find a nice lobbying job, but get her OUT of the Senate and SUPPORT Akin!
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2012, 09:46:03 PM »
Hey there, CHF!  Glad you could join us.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2012, 09:50:50 PM »

Thank you. My perception is some here might regret my joining the discussion. There is so much good we can do in sharpening our arguments in a forum like this, but, the circular firing squad of the stupid party is not constructive.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2012, 10:05:06 PM »
Take out Claire. let her find a nice lobbying job, but get her OUT of the Senate and SUPPORT Akin!

I wouldn't hire her as a greeter at Walmart. She's a menace.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2012, 10:14:50 PM »
I know who runs the news cycle, but I also know there's only so much shelf life they can squeeze out of a particular story. Romney's dog on the roof, Ann Romney never worked a day in her life, Romney killed a man's wife, all these were recent efforts by the media that seem like ancient history now. Let's hope the same will be true for the Missouri Moron.

I hope you are right since it appears that Akin will not step aside. Recent history seems to argue that this will not go away.

"Macaca" comes to mind.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2012, 10:18:03 PM »

Thank you. My perception is some here might regret my joining the discussion. There is so much good we can do in sharpening our arguments in a forum like this, but, the circular firing squad of the stupid party is not constructive.

There are no libs here (well, they come once in a while and if they can't stand the ridicule, once they resort to flaming, the ban-hammer comes into play); we're conservatives first, Republicans second, because other choices are limited (and not all of us agree on that), so, if you remember that we don't do the circular firing squad thing against each here, you'll be fine.  We debate, sometimes it gets testy (ahem), but most of us have been together for a good while now, so we hang together because .... well, you know the rest.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
I (mostly) get what Akin said - but I sure wouldn't have exposed my flank the way he did.
Once done it shouldn't have taken but an hour or so to see the damage he (self)inflicted - and the damaging reverberations for every pubbie around him, but he chose to fight "on principle" (or something).
Seeing that the prevailing weight of public opinion was against him (for better or worse) he defiantly stuck out his chin.
He is now certainly damaged goods, I just don't know if the damage is terminal (my guess is yes).
Even if he prevails he has the kiss of death about him and doubt that anyone will want to get anywhere near him.

I sure wouldn't want to be a Missouri pubbie voter this time around.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2012, 10:29:17 PM »
Hey there, CHF!  Glad you could join us.

There are no libs here (well, they come once in a while and if they can't stand the ridicule, once they resort to flaming, the ban-hammer comes into play); we're conservatives first, Republicans second, because other choices are limited (and not all of us agree on that), so, if you remember that we don't do the circular firing squad thing against each here, you'll be fine.  We debate, sometimes it gets testy (ahem), but most of us have been together for a good while now, so we hang together because .... well, you know the rest.
Well, revolutionaries second and Republicans a distant third. I'm done with the GOP, the stupid party. Forrest Gump had better sense that those elitist idiots.

Remember that causes of Civil War debate Pan last year, I thought some were going to fuse together to make a new element...it was hot! ::slapfight::
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 10:32:27 PM by warpmine »
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2012, 10:46:44 PM »
I remember, Warpmine.  It was one of a very few times where things got heated; nevertheless, here we all are.  Part of what I so like about this place and all of you.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2012, 10:51:31 PM »

ChrstnHsbndFt, welcome to IAF, your points are
sound and well made.  We usually, unlike Pubbies,
find better targets than each other to shoot at.
Just watch out for the gravy.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2012, 10:57:00 PM »

ChrstnHsbndFt, welcome to IAF, your points are
sound and well made.  We usually, unlike Pubbies,
find better targets than each other to shoot at.
Just watch out for the gravy.

Owwwlol.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #94 on: August 22, 2012, 11:00:48 PM »
I should add for the benefit of our new member -- and welcome! -- that I am no apologist for the spineless GOP establishment. I just take a very simplified view of this election, and that is we must defeat Obama and his Democrat Party at any cost. Winning the White House won't be enough. We must obtain a majority in the Senate too, and keep the majority we have in the House. It could come down to literally one seat in the Senate. I worry that Akin may be fatally wounded as a candidate. There is an argument to be had about how much of the wounding was self-inflicted vs. an after the fact pile-on, but to me the important thing is he is a weaker candidate than he was prior to his Sunday interview. I just hope it does not snowball into a disaster for our efforts to stop Obama and his Merry Band of Marxists.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #95 on: August 22, 2012, 11:35:19 PM »
It is interesting to me, that this - THIS - of all the egregious offenses against the nation in the past few years, and ll the threats we now face - THIS is the topic that spurs the most heated discussion we've had here in months.

I don't get it, but I find it invigorating. I know I've been challenged to compare my thoughts on the matter to those of others, and the shape of my view has been changed, even if my basic understanding of the issue hasn't.

A) We're stressed.
B) That's not all bad.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #96 on: August 22, 2012, 11:47:19 PM »

And the crawler bots aren't interested at all.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #97 on: August 23, 2012, 01:09:01 AM »
It is interesting to me, that this - THIS - of all the egregious offenses against the nation in the past few years, and ll the threats we now face - THIS is the topic that spurs the most heated discussion we've had here in months.

I don't get it, but I find it invigorating. I know I've been challenged to compare my thoughts on the matter to those of others, and the shape of my view has been changed, even if my basic understanding of the issue hasn't.

A) We're stressed.
B) That's not all bad.

It's not just here ... PJ Media's Michael Walsh wrote against Akin and the comments reflect the same sort of division of opinion.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2012, 10:55:17 AM »
Has anyone seen any MO polls lately?

I wonder if Akin's defiance will have some appeal -- there is an element of defiance in the Tea Party/conservative movement that's willingness to toss anyone not espousing real conservative and Consitutional principles regardless of what the establishment or pundits or the "party" says. So perhaps the opposite might occur in this case--a willingness to stick with Akin despite what every expert says.

The republicans blew this big time.  They should have let the guy apologize and move on.  We'd not be discussing now if they had.  I'm disappointed that everyone including Palin and Rush wanted him to quit.  (Remember Palin backed a different guy any way so that shouldn't be surprising she reached that conclusion.)  Personally, I don't think his comment reaches the level of "unfit to run and hold a senate seat".  All of those seasoned political "experts" are thinking about this in one way only -- as a political match in which they must make the best move they can to win.  So they figure the best move is to toss the guy and then show him who's in charge by vilifying him and not supporting him.  These experts forget that's not how the Tea Party/ conservative movement has gained strength in this country--not by political strategy but by sticking to principles.  If any of them had stood up and said--"Look he made a mistake, he apologized.  What's important is he believes in conservative principles, he supports the Constitution", yada, yada and moved the discussion ahead then the voters and everyone else would have moved on.  The media and dems would have looked stupid trying to continue it.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #99 on: August 23, 2012, 12:09:56 PM »
Has anyone seen any MO polls lately?

Rassmussen has him down 10 this morning. He's poison.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson