Author Topic: Romaine lettuce recall, fears of e-coli  (Read 1636 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Romaine lettuce recall, fears of e-coli
« on: August 20, 2012, 09:36:41 PM »
Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Georgia, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, New Mexico, Nevada, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and Washington, Puerto Rico and Canada..

Salinas-based Tanimura & Antle said the recall is limited to a single lot of its Field Fresh Wrapped Single Head Romaine that was available at retail stores starting Aug. 2. The lettuce is packed in a plastic bag with the UPC number 0-27918-20314-9, and it may have a "best by" date of Aug. 19.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: Romaine lettuce recall, fears of e-coli
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 09:48:57 PM »
More people doing jobs Americans won't do. That'd be my guess.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 10:00:02 PM »

Wash it.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 11:21:59 PM »

Wash it.

Not good enough; that'd be cooking and who cooks lettuce?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 07:46:13 AM »
  Just another one of my silly things but I soak it in the kitchen sink(clean sink of course) in clean fresh water(not that dirty republican water were famous for)and I add a cup of white vinegar which seems to help revive it and the acid might help kill off some of the crap. I don't know how much but it makes me feel better.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 11:48:17 AM »
I was thinking along the same lines, something acidic, thought maybe a salt water wash, perhaps vinegar would be better.  Would either kill that off?
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 11:50:29 AM »
Putting lettuce in a salt bath will guarantee instant and permanent wilt.  I don't know what kill e-coli other than cooking.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 12:03:24 PM »
Ick.

Trash it.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 12:38:06 PM »
The only things that could reliably kill it would also make the lettuce unfit for eating.  Fortunately, thanks to my entirely carnivorous diet, I am never affected by these semi-frequent recalls of various green leafy things.

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 12:58:49 PM »
Enjoying a big leafy Romaine salad as I type.... Don't taste any E-Colis....
 ::whatgives::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 01:13:36 PM »
The only things that could reliably kill it would also make the lettuce unfit for eating.  Fortunately, thanks to my entirely carnivorous diet, I am never affected by these semi-frequent recalls of various green leafy things.

;D

For me veggies are mostly accessories to tasty meat, although I may graze on a salad now and then, and a good ear of corn this time of year is delicious.   ::thumbsup::

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 01:30:13 PM »
I've found that Romaine lettuce is a key component of keeping my weight under control and some green in my diet. I eat about three heads a week, just myself. And I don't skimp on animal flesh.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 02:58:44 PM »
I've found that Romaine lettuce is a key component of keeping my weight under control and some green in my diet. I eat about three heads a week, just myself. And I don't skimp on animal flesh.

Was the lettuce humanely treated by the pickers?
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 03:00:03 PM »
I was thinking along the same lines, something acidic, thought maybe a salt water wash, perhaps vinegar would be better.  Would either kill that off?

Don't know I picked that tip up from Altan Brown of the cooking chanel Browns for perking up greens.
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 10:40:02 PM »

I like meat and I equally enjoy vegetables.  Been staying with
some folks whose concept of meat and vegetables is a huge
hunk of greasy meat with about 4 tbs of green beans and 3
3 half inch cuts of carrots.  Yuck.  I want at least a cup of
two kinds of green along with another color, that makes
a meal.  I can hear my carotids now, screaming help send
broccoli asap.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 10:46:58 PM »

I like meat and I equally enjoy vegetables.  Been staying with
some folks whose concept of meat and vegetables is a huge
hunk of greasy meat with about 4 tbs of green beans and 3
3 half inch cuts of carrots.  Yuck.  I want at least a cup of
two kinds of green along with another color, that makes
a meal.  I can hear my carotids now, screaming help send
broccoli asap.

::hysterical::

Broccoli is my favorite, too.  Cauliflower is very good as well.  I would cook sauteed spinach in olive oil with garlic and lemon juice more often if cleaning the fresh spinach wasn't a pain.  And if the cat wasn't up my ass the whole time for his share.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 03:01:22 AM »

I'm not sure... what does "Los trabajadores que hacen trabajos que los americanos no nos tratan cabezas de lechuga muy bien" mean?

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 10:31:03 AM »
I think they have a sign that reads "Campo Lechuga = Letrina"

- Yours Truly

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 07:17:46 PM »

I'm not sure... what does "Los trabajadores que hacen trabajos que los americanos no nos tratan cabezas de lechuga muy bien" mean?

"The workers that do the jobs that americans don't treat heads of lettucevery well"I don't speak spanish so that's the best I can do .One of use screwed the pooch it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 08:47:40 PM »

"The workers that do the jobs that americans don't treat heads of lettuce very well"I don't speak spanish so that's the best I can do .One of use screwed the pooch it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Google translated it to be "The workers doing jobs Americans do not treat us very well lettuce heads"
Eschew Obfuscation