Author Topic: Star Wars Detours: Yet Another Reason To Hate George Lucas  (Read 1202 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Star Wars Detours: Yet Another Reason To Hate George Lucas
« on: August 25, 2012, 11:07:55 PM »
Not content to merely screw up his franchise by creating three prequels that are a study in bad film making, Lucas has decided to do a Robot Chicken version of his property called Star Wars Detours.

I've looked at several of the video clips available and I think that they are supposed to be funny but I'm not sure.

Here is a link to the Facebook page. See what you think.

Here is the official trailer...

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Star Wars Detours: Yet Another Reason To Hate George Lucas
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 11:23:58 PM »
I used to be pissed at Lucas for ruining the SW franchise with bogus prequels, and for being a general all-around way-overrated moron.

But then I went back and actually watched the first three films and realized they were never all that good to begin with.

ANH was eh. TESB was pretty good. TROTJ sucked. I want to shoot Ewoks.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 12:26:50 AM »
The ewoks were the culmination of the marketing efforts that started up after Episode 4 was such a big hit. In other words, "toys."

If I remember correctly the original notion for Endor's moon was that it was the home of the wookies and it would be the wookies that would defeat the empire. Lucas thought that it would be "ironic" or something to have the empire (and the emperor) be defeated by a technologically backward race. He said that he changed his mind about it and decided to let that race be the ewoks because the audience grew to believe that wookies were not sufficiently primitive since Chewbaca was seen as a highly intelligent (although not able to do anything but grunt to communicate) and capable creature. Of course this was actually BS. Lucas needed another action figure for the toy stores and the wookie action figure was old news.

For Lucas it's always been about the money. That's why the art and story largely went out the window after episode 4. It only became impossible to ignore when he did episode 1, 2 & 3.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 01:26:59 AM »
There needs to be an equivalent of Child Protective Services for beloved fiction franchises. Juvenilization was ratcheted up with Return of the Jedi. It wasn't just the Ewoks, even earlier the film had cheesy belch gags and such.

Robot Chicken actually did 2 or 3 different Star Wars specials, and most of it is actually pretty funny. This on the other hand is just plain painful.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 09:14:07 AM »
I don't know IDP, I still like a New Hope. Of course I was 8, and in Denver you could only see it in the Cooper, after waiting in a line around the theater for hours. The Cooper  held 1200 and that crowd and experience made the whole thing the best film experience of my life-   and that may be coloring it a bit now. There is no better moment in film than when Luke turns off his computer. (Okay, that is a lie, the balcony scene in To Kill a Mockingbird is better) That and the whole death star attempt is ust wonderful - of course I have the non-special edition laser disk version that isn't all F'd up by Lucas.

Empire disappointed me as a Kid, and return of the Jedi and the Ewoks was painful.  Joseph Campbell had more to do with the success for the first film than Lucas, because he understood myth and storytelling.

I did fin myself chuckling at a few of the jokes in the Detours clip. Of course the Robot Chicken stuff has me laughing out loud.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 10:15:22 AM »
A Robot Chicken palate cleanser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cizlx6ODhuE
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 07:06:39 AM »
Mark Hamill and Carrie Fischer are two of the worst actors ever. The light saber battle between Obi Wan and Darth Vader is comical; literally. C3PO is like a sharp rock in my shoe that I can't dump out.

Harrison Ford is the saving grace of that first film, only because it launched a career that made a good run and gave us a few good films.

I love sci fi. Done well, it's my favorite genre. I used to love Star Wars. Jar Jar Binks, little Annakin, and Darth Maul made me reassess the whole franchise, and I found that my love was only nostalgia. Without nostalgia, Star Wars "A New Hope" and its sequels and prequels are pretty much unwatchable for me.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 09:54:38 AM »
I didn't like episode 1 and I knew several of the reasons why but it wasn't until RedLetterMedia did the review was I able to put it all together.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 11:10:35 AM »
Jar Jar Binks should have been disintegrated one second into opening its pie hole, having to listen to that blubbering muppet is torture at best.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

RickZ

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 04:59:24 AM »
When I saw the second prequel with Jar Jar Binks, back when it first came out on video, I immediately thought:  Niggaz in Space.

Offline pisskop

• Bump me, America!
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 10:11:22 AM »
I think this is for kids.  I'm surprised nobody said it yet.  Its like the crap I used to watch when I was 5-11.  Without the Nickoledeon  Obscenity.  Instead it has mild hints of 'Adult Cartoon Humor'.  What is an adult cartoon anyway?  When did society have to qualify a cartoon for adults (they used to be exclusively for adults; waaaaaay back in the day).

What started out as a young adult's fantasy about kissing your own sister and telekinesis became a full fledged Spongebob ripoff. . .  But then again I'm not big on fantasy in general.  Plenty of real things to be afraid of and exaggerate.
[MANNERISM_THREAD:lurk]

Today's ??? (_01OCT13_):

Quote from: midcan5;1330627
'Conservative' in America has come to be taken over by 'power.'

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 11:07:39 AM »
How pathetic. Self-effacing humor is one thing, but this is self-mockery.

pisskop - you're absolutely correct that they're aiming this at kids but I'd hate to the sort of drone who would find that entertaining. My bet is that they don't - they may look at - or past it - but no one will take it sincerely.

And yea - cartoons were fro adults long before they were for kids. I remember how sophisticated I felt when I began to recognize and understand some of the innuendos and double-entendres.