Author Topic: Kiss' Gene Simmons: Musicians boycotting Israel are "fools"  (Read 1903 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Kiss' Gene Simmons: Musicians boycotting Israel are "fools"
« on: March 23, 2011, 08:03:47 AM »
I think he's one of the good guys.

AP Interview: Kiss bassist Gene Simmons says boycotters of Israel are ‘fools’

Kiss’ Israeli-born singer-musician Gene Simmons is shouting out loud at the string of musicians who refuse to perform in his homeland.

“They’re fools,” the legendary bassist told The Associated Press in an interview Tuesday, on his first return to Israel since leaving the country as a child more than 50 years ago.

Simmons described the visit as a “homecoming.” He offered a description of himself that might shock his legions of fans who know him as an American icon prone to spitting blood and sticking out his exceptionally long tongue:

“I’m Israeli. I’m a stranger in America. I’m an outsider,” he said, speaking in a hotel lobby across a valley from the walls of Jerusalem’s historic Old City. “I was born here and I’m proud of it.”

Simmons had harsh words for musicians like Elvis Costello and the Pixies who have recently canceled concerts to protest Israel’s policies toward the Palestinians. Pink Floyd’s Roger Waters has gone further, joining an organized movement dedicated to boycotting Israel and its exports, though he appeared in Israel in 2006.

“The countries they should be boycotting are the same countries that the populations are rebelling,” he said. “People long to be free ... And they sure as hell don’t want somebody who’s a ruler who hasn’t been elected by them.”

<snip>

Simmons was born Chaim Witz and spent his childhood in northern Israel before moving to America.

<snip>

Over the years, Simmons cultivated an extravagant personality, often boasting of his sexual conquests and his fortune and fame. While he did not hide his immigrant roots, they were never emphasized — but this appears to be changing in recent years.

<snip>

Simmons co-founded Kiss in the 1970s and became famous for wearing white and black face makeup, spitting fire and coughing up fake blood at sold-out performances. The group has sold some 100 million records, and four decades later, it remains one of the best-selling concert draws.

Simmons also presides over a business empire that includes his reality show, TV, game show and movie appearances, video games, books, comics and a Kiss credit card. His net worth is estimated to be in the tens, perhaps hundreds, of millions of dollars.

Simmons insisted that his busy schedule has been the only reason he never made it back to Israel before.

“America allowed me to climb the highest levels of success, and I never wanted to stop. When you reach the top, you can rest,” he said.

“I’ve reached the top.”
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Kiss' Gene Simmons: Musicians boycotting Israel are "fools"
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 08:22:19 AM »
Yeah, not infected by the pop-culture/peer pressure to be a snide, sniping, anything-goes and go-along-to-get-along leftbot!

And I did dig his band back in the day...!

;)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »
“I’m Israeli. I’m a stranger in America. I’m an outsider,” he said ...

Aw, c'mon.  That was not necessary and certainly not true.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 09:58:59 AM »

Aw, c'mon.  That was not necessary and certainly not true.

If he's commenting on people in the entertainment cricles?  Yeah, I can see that being dead on!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 10:07:25 AM »

Aw, c'mon.  That was not necessary and certainly not true.

If he's commenting on people in the entertainment cricles?  Yeah, I can see that being dead on!

That may be his frame of reference, so, if so, then I he may be right.  I was thinking "Jewish" - a good many in entertainment circles - not so much Israeli - "nasty Zionist".

eta: corrected
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 10:39:21 AM by Pandora »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 10:11:42 AM »

Aw, c'mon.  That was not necessary and certainly not true.
I can see why he may say that. He's getting older and sentimental. He was raised in Israel until the age of 8, so he can definitely remember it. His name was Chaim Witz. He speaks Hebrew. His own mother for whom he has expressed the deepest love and admiration is a concentration camp survivor. Definitely some deep roots there for an aging man to nostalgically return to in his waning years.

Maybe this will soften the sting of his sentiment a little bit:

"I'm ashamed to be surrounded by people calling themselves liberal who are, in my opinion, spitting on the graves of brave American soldiers who gave their life to fight a war that wasn't theirs...in a country they've never been to... simply to liberate the people therein". In a follow-up, Simmons explained his position and wrote about his love and support for the United States: "I wasn't born here. But I have a love for this country and its people that knows no bounds. I will forever be grateful to America for going into World War II, when it had nothing to gain, in a country that was far away... and rescued my mother from the Nazi German concentration camps. She is alive and I am alive because of America. And, if you have a problem with America, you have a problem with me"
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 10:21:57 AM »
Awright, awready; I already conceded.  ::exitstageleft::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 10:33:31 AM »
Wow.  Is that a record?

;D

Who said that!

Wasn't me!

::exitstageleft::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 10:40:24 AM »
Hey, when you and IDP are right, you're right.   ::USA::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 10:49:23 AM »
Well, you know what they say about a blind squirrel...   ;D

...but we thank you very much!

;)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 09:09:27 PM »

He takes over the interview. It's outrageously cool.  He pauses a couple of times to allow the interviewer an opportunity to recover but I think she is so taken aback, or laughing, that he continues on.

"I think women should have a thousand babies."

Not me, I've had two. hahahahaha

No, really, he gives it to the brother. 

When we are young we imagine things can be... but then we grow up...

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 09:54:48 AM »
Heh, that was good.  Keep at it Gene!

::thumbsup::