Author Topic: The truth about Wolf ammo  (Read 2081 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
The truth about Wolf ammo
« on: December 12, 2012, 09:10:26 AM »
The Truth About Wolf Ammo

Any opinions?
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: The truth about Wolf ammo
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 09:24:54 AM »
One of the ranges I go to won't even let you shoot Wolf. They don't advertise why, but I've always assumed it was just because they collect left-behind brass, and don't want to have to sort out the steel casings.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 11:15:11 AM »
Agreed, I too think it is the non-brass casings.  They don't like Blazer rounds either.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 11:18:55 AM »
It's usually that or their belief in 3rd-hand information about it destroying range backstops (it won't). Some outdoor ranges in dry areas may have a good reason to prohibit ammo with steel in the jacket, since it can spark when it hits rocks and such. Even that is probably exaggerated. I recall the anti-gun forces tried to blame some forest fires this summer on recreational shooters.

I shoot Wolf in Eastern Bloc firearms, and it works fine. Generally among the cheap Russian fodder, I think Barnaul (the various Bear brands) and Vympel (Golden Tiger) are better. I don't shoot it in any Western firearms. I don't think it would be a problem, it just feels too much like putting 87 octane price club gas in a Ferrari.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 11:41:55 AM »
My Kimber will shoot anything just fine.  Some of the other 1911s -- Springfield -- don't like the steel casings.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 12:09:11 PM »
What happens with the Springfield? Extraction problems?

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 12:16:46 PM »
What happens with the Springfield? Extraction problems?

Jams.  Won't fire.  I hate jams ... clearing them makes me anxious.

Otherwise, the Springfield is just fine with brass.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 12:25:26 PM »
Yeah, I just stick with brass in the more refined Western guns. One of the main issues with steel cases is that they lack the elastic properties of brass, so after firing they don't spring back to size like brass. That can cause extraction issues in some guns, where the steel case is still tight against the chamber wall.

As for the AKs, they've never eaten anything but steel case stuff. I also like the lacquered primers and case mouths for long term storage.

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 12:40:09 PM »
Yeah, I just stick with brass in the more refined Western guns. One of the main issues with steel cases is that they lack the elastic properties of brass, so after firing they don't spring back to size like brass. That can cause extraction issues in some guns, where the steel case is still tight against the chamber wall.

As for the AKs, they've never eaten anything but steel case stuff. I also like the lacquered primers and case mouths for long term storage.

I'm not clear on what you mean by "more refined Western guns".

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 12:59:30 PM »
i.e. without the sloppy tolerances and machining often seen on the Eastern bloc guns.

- Yours Truly

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 07:30:59 PM »
  I read an article where my PX4 storm didn't like it so I never bought it.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 11:33:56 AM »
If I have an opportunity this weekend, I will chronograph Wolf vs. Brown Bear vs. Golden Tiger.  I have heard that Wolf consistently comes in underpowered and less consistent.

- Yours Truly

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 08:41:02 PM »
I just bought a Ruger Mini-14 and the salesman said that it would eat any ammo with out a hiccup.  I asked specifically about Wolf ammo and he said his mini-14 has devoured more than 2000 rounds without as much as a burp.
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 08:56:14 PM »
It sounds like several of you have had an early Christmas. Congrats to all on your acquisitions!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 09:36:52 PM »
Waa.  I'm jealous.

Not really.  I have all I can use, need or want.

I had a friend lecture me on Saturday evening about my lack of desire for a more powerful rifle than my beloved M1 Carbine.

Fellas, I can't MANAGE a bigger rifle without a gun rest (okay, yeah; my biceps could use some work), so, by necessity, utility and accuracy, it's my go-to gun.  And because we (me and my M1) love each other, I'm betting I can do more damage with it than dealing with the prerequisite conditions for handling a bigger, more powerful rifle.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 10:38:40 PM »
Plenty of Nazis and Imperial Japs became worm food courtesy of the humble M1 Carbine. Plus it has unique ties to North Carolina. They are interesting rifles. I've never fired one, but ballistically it's similar to a .357 Magnum.

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 10:46:13 PM »
Plenty of Nazis and Imperial Japs became worm food courtesy of the humble M1 Carbine. Plus it has unique ties to North Carolina. They are interesting rifles. I've never fired one, but ballistically it's similar to a .357 Magnum.

Gunsmith and I have one each.  (I had mine first, nyah, nyah).  Get yer ass out here someday soon and we'll fix that "never fired one" and you'll see.  Sweeeeet.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 11:09:21 PM »
Aren't we all supposed to move to eastern Tennessee?  Still gets my vote!  Out of curiosity, which factory made your M1s?  They were made by the most unlikely factories.  It's all very interesting stuff.

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 11:55:46 PM »
Aren't we all supposed to move to eastern Tennessee?  Still gets my vote!  Out of curiosity, which factory made your M1s?  They were made by the most unlikely factories.  It's all very interesting stuff.

All?  Did I miss you casting your vote?

I dunno where we're going.  We're looking at TN and at OK.  Whereverthehell we end up, you're welcome.

I don't know which factory, Glock.  I can look at it and see.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012, 02:19:34 AM »
I tried that stuff with my AR and had extraction problems every time. After three or four rounds I gave up. I haven't tried it in my mini-14 yet but I'm guessing that it will handle them better.

And, no, I didn't buy the stuff. I inherited about a 1000 rounds from my brother-in-law when he passed away a couple of years back.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.