Author Topic: Cable? Satellite? No longer necessary  (Read 1983 times)

TeachX3

Re: Cable? Satellite? No longer necessary
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 09:19:51 AM »

We can still get channels using an antenna?  I thought it all went digital and one had to have some sort of box or something?

Local affiliates still broadcast over the air, it's just in a digital format now. If you have a TV made in the past few years, it probably has a built-in tuner for the new format (ATSC). If you have an older TV, you'll have to use a converter box.

As for your teenage daughter being distraught over missing her favorite shows, she can probably watch most of them on a streaming service like Hulu for a small subscription fee. Some shows are free.  Also, she could probably find any show she wants through a Torrent. It's illegal, but since when does rule of law mean anything in this country?

Thank you, I will be looking into a box... we have an older tv  LOL  hey, if it works, I don't 'fix' it!

If he is a hockey fan......he is sure disappointed this year. As a huge hockey fan myself, season tic holder for the Nashville predators, I'm looking forward to some type of season.

Yes, he has been beyond disappointed!  Then, when I told him yesterday that I shut off the sat, he said, "dang babe, I think hockey was just getting ready to come back"  :/  poor guy.  Does not ask for anything in this world, but hockey.  I will stream the games from the net if needed.  LET'S GO BLUES!

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 01:24:13 PM »

We can still get channels using an antenna?  I thought it all went digital and one had to have some sort of box or something?

Local affiliates still broadcast over the air, it's just in a digital format now. If you have a TV made in the past few years, it probably has a built-in tuner for the new format (ATSC). If you have an older TV, you'll have to use a converter box.

As for your teenage daughter being distraught over missing her favorite shows, she can probably watch most of them on a streaming service like Hulu for a small subscription fee. Some shows are free.  Also, she could probably find any show she wants through a Torrent. It's illegal, but since when does rule of law mean anything in this country?

Thank you, I will be looking into a box... we have an older tv  LOL  hey, if it works, I don't 'fix' it!

If he is a hockey fan......he is sure disappointed this year. As a huge hockey fan myself, season tic holder for the Nashville predators, I'm looking forward to some type of season.

Yes, he has been beyond disappointed!  Then, when I told him yesterday that I shut off the sat, he said, "dang babe, I think hockey was just getting ready to come back"  :/  poor guy.  Does not ask for anything in this world, but hockey.  I will stream the games from the net if needed.  LET'S GO BLUES!

OMG!!!!! A bloser!!!!!!
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

TeachX3

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 02:55:13 PM »

OMG!!!!! A bloser!!!!!!

OK, Predator Don... I did a search, but, what is a bloser?  ROFLOL  I'm sure it has something to do with us being BLUES fans, right?  LOL

TeachX3

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 03:03:53 PM »
OH!  And my husband got his paycheck (from job number one) today and it is light just over 20$, so that is at least 80$ a month that we will be short... not taking into account job two and the price of gas, food, etc... all going up.  So, even WITH us shutting off satellite, we will still be short.  UGH.  Gotta look for more areas to cut, ans we do NOT live fancy, so ?

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2013, 10:43:01 PM »
OH!  And my husband got his paycheck (from job number one) today and it is light just over 20$, so that is at least 80$ a month that we will be short... not taking into account job two and the price of gas, food, etc... all going up.  So, even WITH us shutting off satellite, we will still be short.  UGH.  Gotta look for more areas to cut, ans we do NOT live fancy, so ?

I'm just thankful you don't run your household like D.C. runs the country. ::USA::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

TeachX3

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 11:14:11 PM »

I'm just thankful you don't run your household like D.C. runs the country. ::USA::

::USA::  Well, you know, I have heard somewhere that one cannot cut their way to prosperity...   ::facepalm::