Author Topic: Battle of Athens  (Read 1338 times)

Offline benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
Battle of Athens
« on: January 10, 2013, 12:41:54 PM »
A friend of mine just forwarded this to me, I did not know about this till today.  Anyone else ever hear of the Battle of Athens?  Watch and learn if not, afterwards forward to all.

Video
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Battle of Athens
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 12:46:05 PM »
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 12:48:33 PM »

Men of courage who understood the rule of law and the responsibilities of being an American.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 12:57:04 PM »
From the wiki page...

The 1992 made-for-television movie An American Story (produced by the Hallmark Hall of Fame) was based upon the McMinn County War but set in a Texas town in 1945. It was nominated for two 1993 prime time Emmy Awards and one American Society of Cinematographers award.

Might just have to get my hands on that.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

TeachX3

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 01:36:34 PM »
Tears streamed down my face as I watched that clip... sad, that I am 45 years old, and have never, in my life heard of the Battle of Athens.  I am ashamed and angry that I never learned that history.  I want the film as well...

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 07:37:15 PM »
I read the story of Athens about 3-4 years ago. I saw the tail end (last 10-15 minutes) of the movie. I really wish I had seen the whole thing.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 07:26:02 AM »
I didn't learn of it myself until a few years ago, I haven't seen the 1992 movie either.

This is a fascinating read!

http://web.utk.edu/~csws/interviews/white.pdf

What a guy!   ::thumbsup::   ::USA::

They don't make 'em like this anymore...

:'(
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 11:03:09 AM »
I'd heard of this before but forgotten until it was mentioned.
This is what America was about

charlesoakwood

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 12:39:56 PM »
"WHITE:  Well, ninety of them—Marines killed ninety of them.  They won’t tell you all that stuff, but we did.  They killed three or four of us.  We killed ninety of them, those … South Africans and the British Eighth Army.  We had blocked off seven blocks, wasn’t nothing they could do about it but let us fight it out.  And then the Eighth Army took their bunch and moved them further out and let the Marines hold on. 

What started the fight?  I was there in the fight.  Well, they had this big movie.  So we was in the movie and the British National Anthem come on, you know, playing their song and everything.  And we stood up to it.  We honored it.  Then the American National Anthem came on playing the national anthem.  They booed it, and when they booed it they was in trouble.  The fight started there in that theater when they booed the American flag.  Before it was over, we’d killed ninety of them, and they never did boo our flag anymore.  That was the end of the booing of the American flag.  That was in New Zealand."

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 01:10:19 PM »
What's that from Charles?
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood