Author Topic: The quest for ammo  (Read 2600 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
The quest for ammo
« on: February 04, 2013, 11:50:39 AM »
I figured we could start this thread for people to post to if you happen to find a source for hard to find items. Right now, pretty much anything that is even remotely associated with .223 rifles is out of stock. I couldn't even find a 22 caliber cleaning rod at the local shops.  I have in particular been trying, without success, to locate a set of .223 reloading dies. They're backordered everywhere.

So if you have any leads or other info to share, post it here!
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
Re: The quest for ammo
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 03:57:06 PM »
I was able to pick up some .223 (FMJ) today at Big 5 when they opened.  1 box per customer of any ammo.  Seems .22 LR is getting hard to find.
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 04:52:03 PM »
I have a pretty good source of 5.56 which may or may not work for .223 depending on your rifle. My dealer is limiting me to three boxes (of 20) per day so I don't buy it all at once. The price is $14/box and it the PMC X-TAC brand. They also have the PMC Bronze in .223 but it's a buck a round which is kind of pricey. (I bought a 1000 round case before things got crazy and it was just over $400 and that included sales tax.) Same thing...I can buy three boxes at a time.

If you are desperate for .223 send me a message and I will see about getting you as much as you want within those quantity per day constraints.

As far as 22LR goes...good luck.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 06:47:27 PM »
  I'm down to 500 rounds of .40 and no hope of finding any anytime soon.CRAP!!I'll be damned if I get screwed with the prices I've seen(not ammo just prices)I'll wait it out.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 07:25:34 PM »
  I'm down to 500 rounds of .40 and no hope of finding any anytime soon.CRAP!!I'll be damned if I get screwed with the prices I've seen(not ammo just prices)I'll wait it out.

That's my plan. Sucks on the short practices, though.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 07:28:15 PM »
What's a good price for this caliber?
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Septugenarian

• A Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 07:52:40 PM »
I'm fortunate to have a friend who owns a gun shop.  My immediate needs can be taken care of, but I try to avoid abusing the relationship as I've always felt that no one has ever gone into business to do favors for their friends.  I never discuss price.  Whatever he puts on the receipt is fine by me.
I'm entitled (to be cranky).

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 07:59:05 PM »
I'm fortunate to have a friend who owns a gun shop.  My immediate needs can be taken care of, but I try to avoid abusing the relationship as I've always felt that no one has ever gone into business to do favors for their friends.  I never discuss price.  Whatever he puts on the receipt is fine by me.
When it comes time for a new roof, let me know! ::laughonfloor::

Offline pisskop

• Bump me, America!
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 08:00:41 PM »
So, while this is here.  My mother likes the idea of shooting, but not having a gun.  I told her she has to get a gun, at least to put in her house.  She finally agreed.

Thing is, she was in an auto-accident.  She never has to work again, although her means will be a step below what she is used to.  She has a bad shoulder/knee/back now, and despite my advice won't persue yoga, stretching, or major therapy.  What could I buy her (yes I agreed to buy it)  I want her safe, and even occasionally pay for her to go to the range, but I am unsure what would suit a left hander with a bad left shoulder.
[MANNERISM_THREAD:lurk]

Today's ??? (_01OCT13_):

Quote from: midcan5;1330627
'Conservative' in America has come to be taken over by 'power.'

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 08:13:45 PM »
So, while this is here.  My mother likes the idea of shooting, but not having a gun.  I told her she has to get a gun, at least to put in her house.  She finally agreed.

Thing is, she was in an auto-accident.  She never has to work again, although her means will be a step below what she is used to.  She has a bad shoulder/knee/back now, and despite my advice won't persue yoga, stretching, or major therapy.  What could I buy her (yes I agreed to buy it)  I want her safe, and even occasionally pay for her to go to the range, but I am unsure what would suit a left hander with a bad left shoulder.
Force her to learn to shoot right handed as if she has lost the use of left hand. Couldn't be any worse than that. Just a matter of getting used to it. A few empty pulls and progress to live ammo. .22 or 9mm is a good start.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 09:01:14 PM »
And I would recommend a .38 revolver. As "fool-proof" as you can get with a firearm, easy to load, easy to fire, and P+ rounds ain't no slouch neither.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 09:02:53 PM »

I paid 79.00 for 250 rounds of Remington UMC(wad cutters) for target practice.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 09:07:25 PM »
  I would start her with a .22 and move her up as fars as she's comfortable with.Don't buy anything just rent them from the range till you see what she can handle without any help from you.Anything is better than nothing,if it's as small as a .22 then make sure it holds a lot of rounds.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline pisskop

• Bump me, America!
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 09:11:16 PM »
She has expressed a preference for a revolver. . . but then again she has only been with me and she is indescisive.

If there was one thing I think I don't know enough about its guns.  Not bad shot, though. 

I'll see what she thinks, I appreciate the help!
[MANNERISM_THREAD:lurk]

Today's ??? (_01OCT13_):

Quote from: midcan5;1330627
'Conservative' in America has come to be taken over by 'power.'

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 09:36:13 PM »

I paid 79.00 for 250 rounds of Remington UMC(wad cutters) for target practice.
Well I had found this guy that had it in stock but that was four hours ago for a fair price but gone now. Snooze you lose.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 10:49:41 PM »
I have a pretty good source of 5.56 which may or may not work for .223 depending on your rifle. My dealer is limiting me to three boxes (of 20) per day so I don't buy it all at once. The price is $14/box and it the PMC X-TAC brand. They also have the PMC Bronze in .223 but it's a buck a round which is kind of pricey. (I bought a 1000 round case before things got crazy and it was just over $400 and that included sales tax.) Same thing...I can buy three boxes at a time.

If you are desperate for .223 send me a message and I will see about getting you as much as you want within those quantity per day constraints.

As far as 22LR goes...good luck.

Thanks trap. I'm not quite in desperation mode for .223 just yet. In fact I wasn't even planning to a rifle in that caliber for a while, but then after the Sandy Hook crime I knew I would have to act immediately if I still wanted an AR. I got lucky and literally got the last one in that Wal-Mart.  I have 80 rounds of ammo to break it in, but that's it. I guess I thought reloading was still esoteric enough that I could get dies and components, but no all that stuff is sold out too.

I did however manage to find a really nice AR bore guide machined out of aluminum. So I at least get to clean the thing :)
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 11:39:01 PM »
I am a novice AR owner. I've had the thing for almost two years now and haven't put a hundred rounds through it yet. My son got home on leave today and we were discussing it and he told me that an AR (or in his case, an M16) will try to double feed after you run 150 rounds through it. He says it's guaranteed to do it...happens every time. Jammtastic. And it will only cost me about $75 (old price) in ammo to confirm it. Crap. Oh, well. I will find out in the spring when I can set up a decent target area in the National Forest. In the mean time I get to buy more ammo.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 06:56:18 AM »
She has expressed a preference for a revolver. . . but then again she has only been with me and she is indescisive.

If there was one thing I think I don't know enough about its guns.  Not bad shot, though. 

I'll see what she thinks, I appreciate the help!

Ruger makes the LCR in .357, .38 spl & now .22 LR, I think she could handle the .38 fairly easily, check out the S&W line too, lots of options from .22 on up.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Septugenarian

• A Regular
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 08:58:54 AM »
When it comes time for a new roof, let me know! ::laughonfloor::

Heh, heh!  The discounts are always there.  ::thumbsup::
I'm entitled (to be cranky).