Author Topic: Another Newspaper, The Bangor [ME] Daily News, FOIs Concealed Permit Holders  (Read 1656 times)

RickZ

This shyt is clearly getting out of hand, just as the statist progressive bastards want it.

The newspaper went a few steps further than the Hudson Valley paper did:  The Bangor paper is requesting the data from the whole state.

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/02/14/politics/gop-legislators-attack-bdn-for-requesting-gun-permit-holder-data/

GOP legislators admonish BDN for requesting public gun permit data

AUGUSTA, Maine — Republican legislative leaders held what they called an “emergency press conference” Thursday afternoon to decry the Bangor Daily News’ request that law enforcement agencies and municipalities throughout Maine provide information about concealed weapons permit holders. The newspaper on Wednesday requested the information under the Maine Freedom of Access Act.

The newspaper’s request for the public records states that it “does not intend to publish wholesale identifying information included in the list.” Anthony Ronzio, the BDN’s director of news and new media, wrote in an editor’s note published Thursday on the BDN website that the newspaper intended to request the data anyway, but that a bill submitted by Rep. Corey Wilson, R-Augusta, to keep concealed weapons permit information secret sped it up.

“The BDN has never had any intention to release identifying information about permit holders and said so in our request,” wrote Ronzio.

House Minority Leader Ken Fredette, R-Newport, said Republicans gathered to speak up for the rights of gun owners and for public safety. He accused the newspaper of politicizing the issue at a time when Maine lawmakers are dealing with as many as 80 pieces of proposed legislation related to gun violence in the wake of the mass school shooting at a Newtown, Conn., elementary school on Dec. 14, 2012.

“It’s time to stop harassing law-abiding gun owners,” Fredette said.

Senate Minority Leader Michael Thibodeau, R-WInterport, urged the newspaper to withdraw its requests for the information. Fredette also said one reason for Thursday’s news conference was to “respectfully request” that the BDN withdraw its request for the information to allow legislators to deal thoughtfully with Wilson’s proposed legislation.

Gov. Paul LePage, who posted an image of his permit on his Twitter account, joined Republicans in criticizing the FOAA request as a provocative act by the newspaper.

“If newspapers would like to know who has concealed weapons permits, then they should know the governor has his,” LePage said. “I have serious concerns that BDN’s request will incite fear among gun owners and non-gun owners alike regarding their safety. There is no reason why these records should be public, and I encourage the Legislature to act quickly to make this personal information confidential. As I have said, the rights of law-abiding citizens to own firearms will not be questioned while I am governor. That is especially true for those who respect the law enough to go through the process of obtaining a permit to carry concealed.”

Fredette acknowledged that, even on an emergency basis, the Legislature could not enact Wilson’s bill before the five-business-day deadline for law enforcement agencies to comply with the Freedom of Access Act request.

Kennebec County Sheriff Randall Liberty also attended Thursday’s event, saying that the administrative costs associated with gathering the information requested would create a hardship for some law enforcement agencies.

Legislators, including Wilson, emphasized that concealed weapons permit holders are law-abiding citizens in response to media questions about whether Maine residents’ names and other personal information, available on voter and vehicle registration lists, also should be exempt from Freedom of Access Act requests.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/21197780/nc-senators-weigh-public-access-to-gun-permit-info

"RALEIGH, NC (AP) -

North Carolina lawmakers are debating whether there's a legitimate interest in the public having access to the names and addresses of people who own pistols or have obtained concealed weapons permits.

Members of a Senate judiciary committee debated Thursday a bill that would make identifying information about people who have obtained the permits confidential. These records are currently public records.

Republican Sen. Stan Bingham of Denton said he filed the bill because gun thefts are a problem nationwide and potential robbers can leaf through records to find potential victims.

John Bussian with the North Carolina Press Association opposes the bill. He says there is no data that thieves are using the information to target gun owners."

Of course he does.  What WRAL isn't reporting is that Sen. Bingham responded with, paraphrasing, "So, what?  Shall we wait until they do?"

::guillotine::   the Presstitutes.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Are the names and addresses of welfare recipients public record?
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

RickZ

Are the names and addresses of welfare recipients public record?

Yes and no.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1998-04-12/news/1998102033_1_welfare-recipients-left-welfare-welfare-records

Judge opens New York welfare records to paper Times seeks interviews to find out how former recipients are faring

April 12, 1998|By NEW YORK TIMES NEWS SERVICE

NEW YORK -- A state Supreme Court judge on Friday ordered New York City officials to allow news reporters to review records of the names and addresses of people who have left welfare, rejecting City Hall's contention that such access would violate state confidentiality rules.

Reporters for the New York Times had sought the information to determine how successful the administration of Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani has been in moving people off the welfare rolls and into jobs and to learn how those who had not found jobs were getting by.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Yes, and of course when the presstitutes inquire into something like that, it's clearly with the aim of showing how heartless Republicans threw them into the gutters by taking away their programs. It would never be to highlight the waste, graft, and wrecked lives left in the wake of the welfare state.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

RickZ

Yes, and of course when the presstitutes inquire into something like that, it's clearly with the aim of showing how heartless Republicans threw them into the gutters by taking away their programs. It would never be to highlight the waste, graft, and wrecked lives left in the wake of the welfare state.

Well, yeah, that's a given.

But I would love a paper to go after those records.  I want to know what expectation of privacy those on the public dole have.

I want public assistance information released.  I want those on public assistance to be drug tested.  I want failed test reults published.  I also want a fluffy bunny from Santa this Christmas.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.

But I would love a paper to go after those records.  I want to know what expectation of privacy those on the public dole have.

I want public assistance information released.  I want those on public assistance to be drug tested.  I want failed test reults published.  I also want a fluffy bunny from Santa this Christmas.

Unless I can find one with a lantern in it, you're just as likely to get the latter as any of the former.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Obviously the proglodytes are begging to be popped in the melon, and if they can't get it done the old fashioned way they'll find an Oswald to do it.

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero

But I would love a paper to go after those records.  I want to know what expectation of privacy those on the public dole have.

I want public assistance information released.  I want those on public assistance to be drug tested.  I want failed test reults published.  I also want a fluffy bunny from Santa this Christmas.
Shame them and make them miserable in their poverty or continue to make it a nice warm and fuzzy place to be. Wait we do that now and the dole keeps getting larger as if the government want to be caretaker of the little rats.

When the dollar collapses 100%, who's going to be their daddy?
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

RickZ

Silly, why you and all the other racist rich whiteys, of course.  Involuntary servitude is a beautiful thing.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero

Silly, why you and all the other racist rich whiteys, of course.  Involuntary servitude is a beautiful thing.

So is shooting looters off your property.

::rockets::

RickZ

No no no.  They're not looters, they're homeowners -- your home.

/You white people have had the good homes for far too ling now.  It's time for a little Housing Social Justice.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero

No no no.  They're not looters, they're homeowners -- your home.

/You white people have had the good homes for far too ling now.  It's time for a little Housing Social Justice.

Well, we'll see who's justice prevails, won't we?