Author Topic: Thomas Sowell brilliantly attacks Obama's "Sequester" strategy  (Read 1043 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Imagine a government agency with only two tasks: (1) building statues of Benedict Arnold and (2) providing life-saving medications to children. If this agency's budget were cut, what would it do?

The answer, of course, is that it would cut back on the medications for children. Why? Because that would be what was most likely to get the budget cuts restored. If they cut back on building statues of Benedict Arnold, people might ask why they were building statues of Benedict Arnold in the first place.

Budget Politics
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Thomas Sowell brilliantly attacks Obama's "Sequester" strategy
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 01:24:22 PM »
I'm sorry - I really wanted to read it. I love Thomas Sowell and used to like Townhall.com but after a dozen clicks to rid myself of spam and crap I still couldn't get the page to load.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 01:29:01 PM »
I'm sorry - I really wanted to read it. I love Thomas Sowell and used to like Townhall.com but after a dozen clicks to rid myself of spam and crap I still couldn't get the page to load.

Townhall has gotten really, really bad that way. Its unusable in my opinion. Fr. Sowell links his columns off his own site (tsowell.com to jewishworldreview. No Bs. One Page.

HERE is the one in question..

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 01:52:05 PM »
Thanks - I should have looked there second (JWR is a site that I support and this is just one reason why).

I do have a question concerning his opening salvo - of course a democrat administration will cut vital services over the vote-mining fluff. But is that true of pubbies as well? Can anyone cite an instance where this ploy was undertaken to any appreciable degree by any pubbie? I sincerely can't think of one.

Now this isn't meant to give the pubbies a "walk" - they are almost as infuriating as the left is at worshiping at the alter of big government.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 02:03:13 PM »

Soup and anyone plagued by unwanted elements loading
in you computer, I use Adblock Edge: https://bitbucket.org/adstomper/adblockedge

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 02:29:08 PM »

Soup and anyone plagued by unwanted elements loading
in you computer, I use Adblock Edge: https://bitbucket.org/adstomper/adblockedge

Yea, maybe I should try it. I've been using "noscript" but it presents a tiny pop-up listing the blocked cookies per page - right over the "close" link for those annoying "subscribe to me!" overlay windows. It usually requires five or six clicks to completely kill all the detritus...

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 03:04:58 PM »
Sorry for the dirty link. I navigated to it on my ipad via a facebook link, so I didn't have pop-up issues.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 03:09:53 PM »
We are already on the way to being the worlds largest banana republic, what's to stop it?

Political solutions?

Dead End.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.