Author Topic: Indiana Supreme Court Upholds Nations Largest School Voucher Program  (Read 1338 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Without knowing exactly how these funds are allocated and distributed, I can't be in full-throated support. But at first glance, it seems to me that a voucher program that redirects confiscatory education taxes back into the hands of parents to be spent on the school of their choice - even if that school is a religious school - is a good thing.

From my understanding of the article, this is a redistribution to "poor and middle class families", which seems more like a financial litmus test for the availability of a subsidy than it does an equitable opportunity for all parents to choose their child's school and which school their tax dollars fund.

But even so, it seems like a move in the right direction - even more so because the Indiana Supreme Court's ruling leaves little doubt that the main argument of the opposition (teacher's union) was discounted out of hand.

Now Governor Mike Pence is moving towards expanding the program to more Indianans...

Indiana school vouchers upheld in ruling that could set precedent

In a ruling that could reverberate nationwide, the Indiana Supreme Court upheld the state's voucher program, which gives poor and middle class families public funds to help pay for private school tuition, including religious schools.

Indiana has the broadest school voucher program available to a range of incomes, critics say, and could set a precedent as other states seek ways to expand such programs.

Supporters say it gives families without financial means more options on where to educate their children.

However, opponents of the Indiana program had sued to block it, describing it as unconstitutional and saying it takes money from public schools. Teresa Meredith, the vice president of the Indiana State Teachers Association and one of the plaintiffs, said she was "very disappointed in the ruling."

Unanimous ruling

As many as 9,000 students statewide are part of the voucher program and more than 80% use the funds to go to religious schools, according to Meredith. But in its unanimous 5-0 ruling, the Supreme Court said that was not an issue.

It said it did not matter that funds had been directed to religious schools as long as the state was not directly funding the education. The tuition, the court said, was being funded by the parents who chose to pay it with their vouchers.
"Whether the Indiana program is wise educational or public policy is not a consideration," Chief Justice Brent Dickson wrote. The public funds "do not directly benefit religious schools but rather directly benefit lower-income families with school children.
"

Unlike other states, Indiana's program is considered especially extensive because the vouchers are not limited to low-income students in failing schools. A family of four with an annual household income of $64,000 is eligible for vouchers worth up to $4,500 per child, according to the program.

Indiana Republican Gov. Mike Pence has pushed to expand the program.

"I welcome the unanimous decision by the Indiana Supreme Court to uphold our school choice program," Pence said.
"I've long believed that parents should be able to choose where their children go to school regardless of their income."

More @ Link...
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Indiana Supreme Court Upholds Nations Largest School Voucher Program
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 11:49:14 AM »
Yeah, some might go to Mooslim outfits, but if there are more of us than them and it helps break the union-DFL stranglehold on education it is worth it.  But time is something we are fast running out of.  Good luck, Indianan's.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 12:21:47 PM »

Pence and Kasich came to a fork in the road. 
Pence took the right path.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 12:24:16 PM »

Pence and Kasich came to a fork in the road. 
Pence took the right path.

Quite true - although it bears noting that Indiana is not Ohio.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 02:49:06 PM »
This would only be unconstitutional if Indiana stated that it would allow Catholic Schools but not Muslim schools.

A rare good day for America.   ::USA::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 12:50:00 AM »
Errr .... is English not your first language?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 09:36:41 AM »
Errr .... is English not your first language?

I was wondering the same thing.

- Thomas Jefferson