Author Topic: Looking for ammo  (Read 3514 times)

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
Re: Looking for ammo
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2013, 11:07:40 AM »
What is amazingly odd, is the most commonly manufactured round found anywhere, the .22 Long rifle rimfire, is unavailable ANYWHERE. I mean I cannot even find a box of 50 to purchase at any store. I can find exhorbitantly priced rounds on line. (The most ridiculous being 500 rounds for $150.00) This makes no sense. It is not a particularly good defense round. And yet it cannot be found anywhere? Why? No dealer has given me a reasonable answer. Most say they cannot understand it either. Smells funny, know what I mean?
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2013, 11:30:23 AM »
I know whatchya mean.

But perhaps we are in times where $150 might be a heck of a deal.

One store I stalked had a truck come in, no .22LR in it, really?  Yup.  Uhh, they are saying so, do I know this?  No.  I guess if I didn't have a job I could stake it out 24/7 and see if afterhours dealing is going on or just WTF is going on.

Or, I'll be ratted out and rousted.

::facepalm::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2013, 11:36:32 AM »
Yeah the total unavailability of .22 LR has been a subject of mystery for a while on the forum. Theories range from "demand is seriously that high" to "raw materials are being used on other production lines". Maybe a bunch of people who were never the stocking/prepping sort before suddenly got into the game out of fear of new restrictions, and they saw the .22 giving the most quantity for the least price and just grabbed it all up. Or maybe people who suddenly wanted to buy a firearm out of fear they might not have another chance bought what they could afford, which happened to be inexpensive .22 rifles? Then they needed some ammo to go with it.

It does surprise me. That's one round I would not have expected to dry up. Not only is was it ubiquitous, but it's about as politically correct as anything gun related can be.

If stock does return to semi-normal, I can tell you I'll never take the availability of .22 for granted again.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2013, 09:56:53 PM »
If you think it's completed cartridges that are difficult to locate, try looking for components. I can barely fins any .308 cal bullets so I'm going to lad spitballs instead. Serious consequence of Obama diplomacy....the whole f**king world is at war.

::effu:: Obama
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2013, 02:12:10 AM »
Last gun shop I stopped at...poor shmuck ahead of me asked about .22 Long rile.....they LAUGHED AT HIM. Haven't had any in weeks. I might have been offended if I was him. Bought $160 worth of other calibers though.  Gotta do what you gotta do.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2013, 06:47:08 AM »
Laughing would not be a very customer service oriented action...I would have asked him "So, you think that is f**king funny, eh?"

Oh and Warpmine, I agree fully -  ::effu::  Obama!

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2013, 10:56:37 AM »
If you think it's completed cartridges that are difficult to locate, try looking for components. I can barely fins any .308 cal bullets so I'm going to lad spitballs instead. Serious consequence of Obama diplomacy....the whole f**king world is at war.

Yeah, and just wait until reloaders are demonized because the device in Boston was (apparently) made with smokeless powder. I have several pounds of it that's been in my garage for years. It's far less hazardous than the can of gas for the lawnmower.

Anyhow, it doesn't surprise me that the bullets are unavailable. I haven't even looked for those, because there's no primers to be found anywhere so I never even got to looking for bullets. I have quite a bit of Small Pistol, but am low on everything else.

- Yours Truly

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2013, 11:14:15 AM »
For the reloaders, look into getting bullet molds and buying lead in bulk.  Just make your own, granted they won't be jacketed and you will need to clean your barrels more often, but you won't be at the mercy of the gun store being out of bullets.
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2013, 11:24:01 AM »

Yeah, and just wait until reloaders are demonized because the device in Boston was (apparently) made with smokeless powder. I have several pounds of it that's been in my garage for years. It's far less hazardous than the can of gas for the lawnmower.

Anyhow, it doesn't surprise me that the bullets are unavailable. I haven't even looked for those, because there's no primers to be found anywhere so I never even got to looking for bullets. I have quite a bit of Small Pistol, but am low on everything else.

Last gun show I was at , a box of primers was $80 - he add all types, but one box per person limit.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2013, 11:27:47 PM »
SG Ammo has a fair bit of Federal HST in stock in both 9mm and 45 Auto. If you're in the market for the best hollow point design out there, check it out: http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pistol-ammunition/9mm-9x19

They were showing over 100 boxes in stock, then I bought a few and the stock had dropped to 90 already. So it's moving pretty quick. Thought I'd pass it along.

ETA - It's sold out now. Sorry!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 01:25:49 AM by Glock32 »

- Yours Truly

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2013, 12:22:50 AM »

The three boxes of 555 rounds, the two boxes of 225 rounds and the single box of 1000 rounds were all purchased at a Walmart within the last two months. It can be done. It's a pain in the ass but it can be done.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 12:34:14 AM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2013, 12:31:20 AM »
This is what I was able to buy last week at a small Walmart in Texas. As I said earlier, if I can lay my hands on another three bricks of .22LR I will sell one of them. Maybe within the next two or three weeks I will make up a reason to drive 60 miles to get to the nearest Walmart and get there at 6:30AM to get in line. I wish that it was a sure thing that there would be ammo to buy at that particular place and time but it's really a crap shoot.

This particular store...the people I talked to said that they had not gotten any .22LR in for the last three weeks. I guess that is when I was in town last because I got some then.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 12:43:14 AM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2013, 12:40:40 AM »
Stopped at a Walmart near San Antonio on Monday morning and walked past the sporting goods counter just for the heck of it. I didn't expect to see anything but empty shelves. I took this picture because of the signs that were posted: "DID NOT RECEIVE ANY AMMUNITION TODAY"

That's something I haven't seen before. Must be crazy at this location when a shipment does come in.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2013, 08:45:55 AM »
I can hear the lonely wind blowing through the aisles...would not be surprised to see a tumbleweed dance by...

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 12:36:29 PM by Libertas »

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2013, 03:03:14 PM »
I wouldn't spend a dime with CheaperThanDirt after this. Not a dime. Not ever.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2013, 07:25:03 PM »
Bloody pirates!   ::outrage::

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2013, 08:00:38 PM »
Now at Widener's .223 for $12.40 for 20 rds

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=100000586

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2013, 08:32:46 PM »
Good price. It's out of stock, though.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2013, 08:49:19 PM »
Good price. It's out of stock, though.
Sorry about that. I swear it was in stock a few moments ago. Nothing surprises me these days. I was at Midwayusa yesterday buying some bullets(blemished) special and when I went to check out, they were gone....that quick. ::facepalm::