Author Topic: How they voted on the end of the filibuster against gun registration.  (Read 6087 times)

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
Re: How they voted on the end of the filibuster against gun registration.
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2013, 10:11:34 AM »
We need to start looking for a conservative to primary Senator Burr in his next election, no doubt, and I will support that person over Burr.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2013, 10:57:34 AM »
I don't disagree, and I will continue to engage in the political process, but I just see virtually no hope in it. We're always having to throw these pricks out of office, and what do we ever gain for it? The 2010 midterm was of historical proportions, and our reward has been a weeping quisling as Speaker. Then in 2012, they doubled down on it by making him Speaker again.

Also, supposing we do primary Burr and get a better senator in there, the damage has been done already. Republicans never reverse course on anything. The best you can ever hope for with them is that -- maybe! -- they'll halt the leftward slide for a while. But it never goes back to the right.

I have to give the Left one thing: they have strategic ideological vision and are committed to it. They voted for ObamaCare even knowing many of them would pay a political price in the 2010 midterms. But they also knew they'd eventually get back into power and they'd be able to "behold this fully armed and operational battle station".

Sigh. Sorry. I'm just so sick of having daggers in our back from these swine. They're playing political games. Watch, when it goes up for a full vote, they'll vote against it there while knowing it's going to pass regardless. They want it to pass, and merely needed to maneuver into a position where it would pass while still giving them the opportunity to vote against it for political cover. If they had actually wanted to kill it, they could have done it earlier in the process.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2013, 11:48:28 AM »
Look what these Pubbies voting said - "It's the right thing to do", uhh huh, for who?  They always cave because they fear the media and fear what the Left says about them more than they fear us!  There is no accountability precisely because we are not demanding it, and when we do demand it (and primary them out) they get the likes of The Butthead and other Ruling Class minions to help them run an end run on us and run in the general as an Indy that at best puts a luke-warm progressive in office or at worst ensures a flaming-hot prog gets put it.  Either way we are screwed, the country dies slow or dies fast.  As Hillary would say "What difference does it make"?
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2013, 01:16:37 PM »
From GOA:

We've been fighting these gun control battles for almost 40 years now. And we almost always win. But it's almost always a nail-biter.

And so it is on Obama's gun control agenda.

We'd hoped that we could stop the gun control bribe-o-thon early (and risk-free) by blocking the motion to proceed to the package. But thanks to sell-outs like Pennsylvania's one-term senator, Pat Toomey, we're going to have to take a different battle position and defeat the package at a later stage.

The Senate today overcame the Paul-Cruz-Lee filibuster and voted to move to proceed to Harry Reid’s gun control bill (S. 649). Where Reid needed 60 votes, the tally was 68-31. Click here to see if your Senator sold you out by voting to “move to proceed” to the bill.

Republican defectors who voted anti-gun were: Alexander (TN), Ayotte (NH), Burr (NC), Chambliss (GA), Collins (ME), Corker (TN), Coburn (OK), Flake (AZ), Isakson (GA), McCain (AZ), Heller (NV), Hoeven (ND), Kirk (IL), Graham (SC), Toomey (PA) and Wicker (MS).

So, here's where we are.
Right after the Senate proceeded to the gun control bill, Harry Reid used his privileged recognition to put a bunch of amendments in place. In Senate parlance, they are referred to as an "amendment tree;" and they contain the universal registry bill, the Feinstein gun ban, and the magazine ban. These will be voted on in upcoming days.

As for the Toomey-Manchin-Schumer universal registry bill, don't believe the press' efforts to sugar-coat it. If you have ever had an "Internet ... posting" on (or related to) your gun, you can sell it only by going to a dealer and filling out a 4473 and getting the government's approval. Only a cave man would be exempt.

And once you have a 4473? Well, the ATF is going from dealer to dealer, copying the information on these forms, and feeding it into a database. But, says Toomey, he's against universal registries. This is where it would have helped if Toomey had consulted someone who knew something about guns.

Registration and violation of privacy.

First of all, Toomey’s anti-registry language prohibits photocopying the 4473's, but it doesn't prohibit going into the FFL with a laptop and copying all the information. Second, ATF takes the position that the data it's accumulating in a database is not a "registry," so Toomey's ban does no good. Third, guess what the sanction is for violation of Toomey's anti-registry language? Answer: Eric Holder has to choose to prosecute himself and his own department.

But this isn't the only bad thing about Toomey-Manchin-Schumer.

Section 107 of the sell-out also waives any federal privacy prohibitions under HIPAA to sending the names of Americans with PTSD, ADHD, and post partem depression to the gun ban database. But that’s not all.

Believe in Jesus, hand in your guns?

Because private shrinks will be able to add patients names into a federal database of the mentally ill - without due process - you will be at their mercy.

As Red State editor, Erick Erickson says, “Activist mental health providers will probably be overly aggressive in adding people to the list. Give it five years in liberal areas and people who believe in the physical resurrection of Christ will probably get automatic entry onto the list.”

And as for veterans? Toomey-Manchin-Schumer reinforces the proposition that bureaucrats in the Department of Veterans Affairs can take away veterans' rights without any due process. If a veteran has $30,000 to spend getting back the rights Toomey-Manchin-Schumer wrongly took from him, the sell-out creates yet another redundant money-trap for restoration of rights that shouldn't have been taken away in the first place.

Repealing gun owner protections.

What if you want to travel across the country? McClure-Volkmer allowed you to do that with an unloaded gun in the trunk (18 U.S.C. 926A). But, under the Toomey-Manchin-Schumer sell-out, unless you can "demonstrate," to the satisfaction of the New York police (1) where you came from, (2) where you're going, (3) that you're legally entitled to possess the gun in the place you can from, and (4) that you're legally entitled to possess the gun in the place you're going, THEY WILL ARREST YOU in New York.

The Toomey-Manchin-Schumer sell-out creates a Biden-like commission to insure that the cries for gun control continue.

Like sprinkles on a pile of dung, Toomey and Schumer steal some of the proposals we drafted and try to use them to get us to buy onto gun control. But it won't work.

The gun movement is united against this disgusting pile of gun control.

Here is the new battlefield. Because of the Senate rules, many of the upcoming gun control votes will need 60 (out of 100 votes) to move forward. That will almost certainly be the case with the Toomey-Manchin-Schumer proposal. And because the entire Second amendment movement - GOA, NRA, etc. - is against the Toomey language, it virtually ensures his amendment will fail.

And if Toomey-Manchin-Schumer doesn't pass, then Reid probably won’t have enough votes to overcome a second filibuster on the bill - as it would contain the original anti-gun language sponsored by Reid and Schumer. This all but guarantees that the legislation would die, as Republicans and a half-a-dozen Democrat Senators would then team up to keep the bill from getting the required 60 votes.

One last question or thought:
Did we waste our time supporting the Paul-Cruz-Lee filibuster and fighting the motion to proceed? No, because we forced Obama to fire most of his ammunition, as he dragged his human props around Washington in an effort to exploit them for political gain.

If Obama had been able to wait to play this card until Toomey-Manchin-Schumer came up for a vote, that vote would be a lot harder for us to win.

But Obama has already played this card for his "they deserve a vote" theme. Okay, they're getting their vote. But by the time we reach the vote on cloture on Toomey-Manchin-Schumer, Obama's exploitation of the victims of Newtown will begin to be realized for the cynical exploitative political ploy that it is. And he will be less able to shift gears and use the victims for the theme “They deserve a ‘yes’ vote.”

ACTION: So contact your Senators. Tell them to vote against cloture on the Toomey-Manchin-Schumer sell-out.

- Yours Truly

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2013, 01:39:58 PM »
If you go to "lamar"(!) alexanders facebook page, you can read all about his fight for the 2nd amendment. ::laughonfloor:: ::gaah:: ::hysterical::
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2013, 07:03:18 PM »

Graham to Oppose Toomey-Manchin

When Lindsey gets his ruffles up he can make it happen. 
Johnny Mac isn't going to like it.
Does this mean they're not a couple anymore?

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2013, 07:11:54 PM »
It means Grahamnesty has already calculated that it will pass, so he now he gets to make a big show of voting against it.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2013, 07:28:53 PM »
The realist in me agrees with you G.

He and J-Mac can still swap...whatever...

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2013, 09:45:17 PM »

Graham to Oppose Toomey-Manchin

When Lindsey gets his ruffles up he can make it happen. 
Johnny Mac isn't going to like it.
Does this mean they're not a couple anymore?
Actually means Graham's looking forward at his re-election in a pro gun state. f**king rat bastard! ::effu::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2013, 07:08:25 AM »
Also very true Warp.

More troubles on the Senate side -

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/04/gun-control-bill-in-peril-90117.html

Hopefully the trouble goes up several notches...time to really come down hard on Toomey and the rest of the AINOs supporting this crap, really go for their throats like a rabid starving wolf!  Don't stop rippin' 'til the legs stop twitchin'!

charlesoakwood

« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2013, 11:50:43 AM »
Also very true Warp.

More troubles on the Senate side -

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/04/gun-control-bill-in-peril-90117.html

Hopefully the trouble goes up several notches...time to really come down hard on Toomey and the rest of the AINOs supporting this crap, really go for their throats like a rabid starving wolf!  Don't stop rippin' 'til the legs stop twitchin'!
Who is it, GOA, that's pushing the NRA and congress to the right?

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2013, 11:54:03 AM »
GOA is the real deal. No compromise. They have indeed been responsible for forcing the NRA to toughen its own stances, a net good for all. I am a member of both organizations, but GOA is the one that is really "me".

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2013, 12:08:35 PM »
GOA is the real deal. No compromise. They have indeed been responsible for forcing the NRA to toughen its own stances, a net good for all. I am a member of both organizations, but GOA is the one that is really "me".

Ditto and fully agree.  I sent my e-mails to local clowns this AM warning them to be on the right side of the MN leftard bills working through House & Senate per GOA info.   ::thumbsup::

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2013, 12:50:10 PM »
Don't know what good it will do, but I sent the following to Burr:

Senator Burr,

I urge you to vote against the Toomey-Manchin compromise on the proposed gun legislation currently under debate in the Senate.

Even though many of these proposals are being advanced under the rubric of "reasonable", my concern is over unforeseen ways in which they might be abused or misused in the future.

Government solutions must by necessity be broad and generalized, and this makes them akin to driving nails with a sledgehammer. We must therefore be very cautious in deciding to give government new powers, and the test we impose should be very high indeed.

I urge you to oppose these efforts to infringe upon 2nd Amendment rights.

Sincerely,

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2013, 06:54:54 PM »
I'll bet a sh*tload of dollars to a couple doughnuts you get the standard DC two-step non-declarative baby-splitting answer that is a thinly disguised "sorry Charlie".  I place my own odds at 4:1 my House guy blows me off and the Senator is a push.

::unknowncomic::

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2013, 08:14:28 PM »
I'm sure you're right. I was dissatisfied with his non-committal him-hawing in the last response I got, and that was before his recent sellout. At this point I don't even consider writing them in some misguided hope of saving the country, but more as a prebuttal to the "we didn't know" bleating that we'll certainly hear when things get interesting.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2013, 06:37:07 AM »
Agreed, for some folks placing a clear marker makes the denials much more easier for us to discard.  When the SHTF discarding concern for the personal welfare of such will be returned in kind.

ETA - Hey, whattaya know, I just heard back from the State Senator, looks like he may have even answered it himself saying he is definitely voting against the bill going through that chamber.  If the Rep waffles I end up with a net push.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 07:14:50 AM by Libertas »

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2013, 03:55:17 PM »
Late Breaking News! (per Drudge report!)

A bipartisan proposal to expand background checks to gun shows
and Internet sales fails in the Senate in a 54-46 vote,
in major setback for gun control push.
(Fox News)