Author Topic: Surprise: Illegal Use Of Fist Results In Death  (Read 830 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Surprise: Illegal Use Of Fist Results In Death
« on: May 06, 2013, 10:18:21 AM »
This is a tragedy. I am not making light of it. But the following paragraph underscores several basic problems in our society:

Johana Portillo said she hopes her father's death leads to more security at sporting events and better self-control from players. She said her father had been attacked by players twice before in his eight years refereeing soccer matches -- even having his ribs and legs broken.

LINK

The death mentioned was of a referee at a soccer game. 17-year-old player gets carded for a violation of some sort and reacts by punching the referee in the head. The referee died later in the hospital.

Problems

1. Violence is not exclusive to football. For some reason football has taken a lot of heat recently because it is a violent sport. Other sports are violent, too. Life in general is frequently violent.

2. The answer is not necessarily more security. At least part of the answer is proper punishment of violent individuals. I would be surprised if this incident is t the first one for the teenager involved.

3. There is no gun involved in this story. How can that be?

Lopez said players need to respect referees and remember it's a sport meant to relieve stress -- not cause pain.

"Remember that we are human beings, and we make mistakes," Lopez said in Spanish. "Don't take justice into your own hands."

4. Because if a gun had been involved the referee would have been just as dead. Where is the outrage? I'm not condemning the family members who are being extraordinarily kind, understanding and (potentially) forgiving. I'm just saying that there is a pretty significant component of outrage missing from the coverage of this story that would always be present if there was a gun involved. I submit the following:

Johana Portillo said Sunday she doesn't care what punishment the teenager gets -- saying nothing will bring her father back.

"When he did that, he took a part of me with him," she said, crying. "He took my daddy away from me."

She added: "I feel sorry for him. I feel for his family. But if he was old enough to do what he did, then he's responsible to pay for it."

Pedro Lopez, his brother-in-law and a fellow soccer referee, said the teenager made a mistake and isn't solely to blame. He said he's been involved in soccer his entire life, playing and refereeing, and seen a troubling trend emerge.

"It's not the ignorance of the child, it's the poor manners of the parents," said Lopez in Spanish, who played soccer professionally. "The yells and insults from the sideline from the parents make kids more violent."

I don't know...something about this story is just odd and it bothers me.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Surprise: Illegal Use Of Fist Results In Death
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 10:21:01 AM »
"The yells and insults from the sideline from the parents make kids more violent."

It takes feral "parents" to raise feral children.

Obama's America.  Welcome to it.

::upsidedownflag::

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 10:23:39 AM »
"The yells and insults from the sideline from the parents make kids more violent."

It takes feral "parents" to raise feral children.

Obama's America.  Welcome to it.

::upsidedownflag::

Obnoxious parents at sporting events is as old as the hills. Having one's legs and ribs broken prior to being killed with a blow the head is rather unusual, though.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 05:32:56 PM »
Remember the video where the "Urban" football player tackled the referee from the blind side? It's the parents. The sorry assed parents of these kids who have allowed this to happen.

With the goal of dumbing down the electorate, this is the natural result of the cultural decline.
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 05:47:35 PM »

It's the parents.

OK.  He is guilty of accidental homicide and the parents are accomplices;
they should all be charged accordingly.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 05:58:57 PM »
You are both wrong. It's the fists.

You can't hold anyone responsible for what happens with fists.

We need fist control.

Or more fist control because I'm pretty sure that there might be a few laws that deal with fists already but we need more fist laws.

Maybe we can pass a law that limits the number of fingers your fist can have. Seriously, who really needs more than a finger and a thumb to function? Answer: Nobody. Except the elites. And Hollywood actors and actresses. And professional athletes. They can have all of their fingers.

But everyone else just needs to suck it up and lose some fingers so that there will be less death by fists. It's for the children.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 07:07:05 PM »
At least the victim is not as dead as he would have been from a gunshot.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 07:53:03 PM »
...And fists aren't even protected by a constitutional amendment. Should be a slam-dunk for the statists. Where's Nanny Bloomberg? Mayors Against Illegal Fists.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 08:14:51 PM »
If it saves just one life we have a moral obligation to try. Right?
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly