Author Topic: In a Van, Down by the River  (Read 2703 times)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
In a Van, Down by the River
« on: May 09, 2013, 08:18:12 AM »
THE VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER IS VERY COMFORTABLE.
POSTED BY ANN BARNHARDT - MAY 8, AD 2013 1:56 PM MST
My name is Ann Barnhardt, and I am a motivational speaker. Let me give you a little bit of a scenario of what my life is all about. I am 36 years old. I have never been married. And I live in A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER.
And so long as YOU consent to living under and being taxed and regulated to death by a murderous neo-Stalinist regime, you're NOT GOING TO AMOUNT TO JACK. SQUAT.

You are going to end up eating a steady diet of government cheese and LIVING IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XaoM0FyLmGY

Bwa-ha-ha-ha. Couldn't resist.

Seriously, I'm fine, staying with friends, and happy as a clam. The wardrobe has been reduced by 90%, the shoe collection by 75%, and the furniture inventory by 100%. I recommend this mode of living HIGHLY.

So yeah, if you ask me, "Young lady, what do you want to do with your life?" the answer would have to be:

"I wanna live in a van down by the river ... and I ain't no lady."

I like Ann. She makes me laugh.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: In a Van, Down by the River
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 08:59:29 AM »
I wonder if the friends she is staying with also highly recommend that mode of living.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 10:26:37 AM »
Heh, thinking the same thing IDP.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 10:46:50 AM »
I wonder if the friends she is staying with also highly recommend that mode of living.

I suspect Ann is moral enough to know that she can't freeload- at least not forever.  Perhaps she is doing the housecleaning, house maintenance, babysitting, shopping, or other tasks that her Hosts need done. If so, she is merely engaging in the sort of Barter economy that we will all be forced to-- probably in pretty short order if the COMEX crash is really as imminent as some predict.

In the coming days of turmoil our best laid plans may go awry- Maybe Colorado will become such a War zone that neither place I own is safe for my family. I may end up imposing upon friends elsewhere for a place to be,  but I would know my duty would be to repay such kindness in any and all ways available to me. Likewise, I have other friends, prepped and un-prepped, who may find their plans stymied, unable to safely travel to their bugout, short on supplies, or simply in need of help who may seek refuge under the wings of my abode. And I would expect the same of them. No free person likes being beholden to another, for they know they are placed under obligation and debt, and therefore control.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 10:53:02 AM »
Good point Weisshaupt, but it all comes down to associating with people you trust to be around you and your family...in a post-SHTF world mistakes in judgement could be fatal.  Not making any qualifcations, jus' sayin'.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 12:53:12 PM »
As whimsical as it sounds, living out of a van ain't all it's cracked up to be...

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 12:58:54 PM »
Probably not.  Beats a tent though.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 02:24:17 PM »

Yeah...unless it has broken bolts in the engine or something......
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 03:59:08 PM »

Yeah...unless it has broken bolts in the engine or something......

Ow.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 05:08:06 PM »

Neither have a toilet or a shower. I find both pretty handy.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 07:43:00 AM »
If the van's a rockin' don't go knockin'!

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 07:57:31 AM »
Pan, remember this guy?

Duke Grad Student

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/14/education/edlife/ken-ilgunas-lives-in-a-van-while-a-graduate-student-at-duke-university.html?ref=education&_r=0

I'm confused. The guy is a lib studies major, but refused to go in debt for his degree? A lib with common sense? An oxymoron?
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 08:09:19 AM »
A moron on Oxy?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 08:09:52 AM »
Pan, remember this guy?

Duke Grad Student

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/14/education/edlife/ken-ilgunas-lives-in-a-van-while-a-graduate-student-at-duke-university.html?ref=education&_r=0

I'm confused. The guy is a lib studies major, but refused to go in debt for his degree? A lib with common sense? An oxymoron?

If he had any sense, he'd have gotten himself a regular job, like waiting tables or something similar, during the semester instead of the hit-or-miss stuff he chose to do instead.  In my never to be humble opinion.  ::curtsy4::

And he was so damn proud of himself that he wrote a book about living in his damn van in a place he wasn't supposed to be, thus making it harder for the next poor schmuck to get away with it.