Author Topic: The difference between Dogs and Cats  (Read 1794 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
The difference between Dogs and Cats
« on: June 11, 2013, 05:13:26 PM »
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
Re: The difference between Dogs and Cats
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 09:44:35 PM »
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 10:50:27 PM »
Always been a cat person. I don't dislike dogs,  but I don't like their dependence on others.  I like telling the cats - there is your food. There is your water. Don't kill each other while I am gone. See you in three days.

Rank and file Liberals are more like the dogs- they trust the government to care and feed for them, can't really be left on their own for long without becoming destructive,  and don't remember anything that happened more than 5 minutes ago.

A Cat knows better than to trust anyone, or to depend on anyone but itself. Its relationships with others are strictly voluntary.  They will take your food, sure. But if you don't feed them, they will hunt.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 01:28:49 AM »
I like cats and dogs. I have two dogs and four cats (for vermin control). However, I have no great confidence in a cat's higher intelligence. Their brain is slightly larger than a walnut so there it is.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 06:52:55 AM »
Have had both.  Both have good and bad points.  Like Weisshaupt a cat works better for me now as I can leave a few days and not have any worries.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 07:53:39 AM »
Unlike dogs and Obama voters, cats can use the facilities in a civilized way.

Vs

::stirpot::

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 07:59:09 AM »
Dogs can be house trained.

Obama voters cannot. Also, a cat has no more gratitude than a liberal. They both think we are here to serve them.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 08:27:38 AM »
I've always hated cats. I can tolerate or even enjoy other people's dogs. Animals are meant to live outdoors, IMHO.
 ::exitstageleft::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

RickZ

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 09:17:08 AM »
For me, the difference between cats and dogs is that cats will tread anywhere in a house, low, high, it doesn't matter; dogs can be trained to stay off the furniture.

Cats are okay, never had a problem with them.  But I'm a dog guy.  Years ago, there were two dogs in the family that were horrible dogs, not mean, just bad mannered.  They received no discipline and had no rules; they loved jumping all over you and I hated that.  Now my mutt had rules.  One major rule came from Mom:  No dogs on the furniture!  My dog never slept in a bed with anyone, either.  She still received plenty of attention and was not deprived.  But she knew her place, and it was on the floor.  I don't think an hour would go by that she wouldn't mosey over to me as if to say, 'Hey, I'm being ignored here!'

I know cats can be trained, but I find training dogs easier and a little more permanent.  And I'd rather clean up dog shyt in one corner of the yard than have kitty litter boxes in the house.

IDP, as for pets living outdoors, I've read an outdoor cat's lifespan is around half of an indoor cat (about 7 years versus about 12-15 years.  I have no idea the difference for dogs as most dogs are not allowed to run around outdoors like cats.  I also appreciate the affection with which a dog slobbers one; they aren't shy about showing affection -- and often.  And for a picky eater kid, having a dog 'food disposal unit' for food one hates is a real plus; if food came from the human table, she'd eat it.  And she wouldn't beg; she'd just sit and stare and make you feel guilty.

Oh, and alarm cats just don't cut it.  But a good bark will give a criminal second thoughts.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 10:05:08 AM »
Dogs can be house trained.

Obama voters cannot. Also, a cat has no more gratitude than a liberal. They both think we are here to serve them.

Depends on the Cat.  The right cat can be very affectionate. Of Course, that assumes you enjoy their affection.
Yeah, they probably expect to be served, but then if you don't the generally just decide to fend for themselves as best they can. 
A dog will continue to stare at the front door hoping you come home. (A bit like sitting on Bridges waiting for Busses. )

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 10:21:06 AM »
I like cats and dogs. I have two dogs and four cats (for vermin control). However, I have no great confidence in a cat's higher intelligence. Their brain is slightly larger than a walnut so there it is.

Never said a cat was smarter, though they are probably near on par with the intelligence of the dog- but they obviously have very different attitudes and abilities..

In the end I will probably end up with a well-trained German Shepard as a guard dog, but its just a lot of care and attention - sort of like having a 3 year old that never grows up..

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 10:46:25 AM »
Having kids means having pets.

I never minded because I like animals (OK - I never really got the fasination with snakes  :o )

I would dearly love a dog but it would be unkind to him due to my work "schedule" (I'm away from home a lot). The cats don't care as long as I keep them fed.

Cat Man Do - Simon's Cat

charlesoakwood

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 11:07:12 AM »

Any dog can be a good guard dog.  An outside "guard dog" will be poisoned, shot, or otherwise neutralized by a villain.  Even a peanut brained Chihuahua can be trained
to bark at the unfamiliar coming from outside.  A "trained" guard dog is a professional
and must be treated with disciplined consistency.  A dog that is part of the pack, the family, is the best.

Bizzle gets some Dunkers.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 11:40:46 AM »
Dogs aren't at all like liberals. A dog will freely lay down its life for its human. They are social animals and as such have emotional needs, but they instinctively possess a selflessness that no liberal has. Liberals merely cop the pose of selflessness by being generous with other people's possessions.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 12:01:39 PM »
"Any dog can be a good guard dog."

Ahh, no.  

My brothers Cavalier King Charles Spaniel ain't guarding squat or fending off shyt!  

::hysterical::

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 08:20:48 PM »

Ahh, no.  

My brothers Cavalier King Charles Spaniel ain't guarding squat or fending off shyt!  

Can be, does NOT mean WILL be. Blame your brother for how he trained the dog, not the dog. Perhaps he did not want a guardian and trained the dog that way purposefully, or, perhaps, he did not know what to do or what he wanted.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 09:23:29 PM »

Let them know you like the sound of their voice.  As they mature they will learn when it is and isn't appropriate.  Some will require more guidance than others.

Teach him to play "what is it?"

Teach him to play "get it".

Unless the dog is whacked out, and some are, as he matures he will easily differentiate between play time and rat time.  And, street dogs are not afflicted by the maladies that seem to plague breed dogs.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 09:51:39 PM »
My mutt alerts on the very slightest sound, usually completely imperceptible to human ears. She then comes over and hovers in front of me. They just have an instinct to protect.

I think we tend to forget their wolf ancestry. You'll remember it when you feed a dog a bone and they crush the entire thing in their jaws.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2013, 10:23:22 PM »

Ahh, no.  

Can be, does NOT mean WILL be. Blame your brother for how he trained the dog, not the dog. Perhaps he did not want a guardian and trained the dog that way purposefully, or, perhaps, he did not know what to do or what he wanted.

True, he wanted a lapdog and he got one.  Still, size matters, even if "trained" that little bugger might raise an alarm and terrorize some ankles and toes, but that'd be about it.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 10:52:51 PM »

Size, yes and no.  If you go shopping you can leave a big one in the cab with the A/C running and not worry whether your vehicle will be there when you return.

In the home size doesn't matter, their main job is to alert you.  They may or may not double team with you. The best thing thing they can do is get out of the way or go pointer giving you a clear shot.  If you're not home the best thing they do is racket, racket, racket.