Author Topic: The O's Libyan Speech: Words. Just Words.  (Read 1860 times)

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
The O's Libyan Speech: Words. Just Words.
« on: April 04, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »
Days after the fact of US involvement, and perhaps weeks after meaningful military action would have boxed in M. Qaddafi, President B. Hussein Obama took to the airwaves to give another leg-tingling, but irrelevant speech about a subject upon which he remains clueless: Foreign Policy. In his Libyan leg tingler, he specifically mentioned the town of Misratah:

In the face of the world’s condemnation, Gaddafi chose to escalate his attacks, launching a military campaign against the Libyan people. Innocent people were targeted for killing. Hospitals and ambulances were attacked. Journalists were arrested, sexually assaulted, and killed. Supplies of food and fuel were choked off. The water for hundreds of thousands of people in Misratah was shut off. Cities and towns were shelled, mosques destroyed, and apartment buildings reduced to rubble. Military jets and helicopter gunships were unleashed upon people who had no means to defend themselves against assault from the air.

Giving comfort to the besieged townspeoples of Misratah the President continued his speech, vowing to commit American assets through the UN Resolution 1973 to curtail the looming humanitarian crisis:

Ten days ago, having tried to end the violence without using force, the international community offered Gaddafi a final chance to stop his campaign of killing, or face the consequences. Rather than stand down, his forces continued their advance, bearing down on the city of Benghazi, home to nearly 700,000 men, women and children who sought their freedom from fear.

At this point, the United States and the world faced a choice. Gaddafi declared that he would show “no mercy” to his own people. He compared them to rats, and threatened to go door to door to inflict punishment. In the past, we had seen him hang civilians in the streets, and kill over a thousand people in a single day. Now, we saw regime forces on the outskirts of the city. We knew that if we waited one more day, Benghazi – a city nearly the size of Charlotte – could suffer a massacre that would have reverberated across the region and stained the conscience of the world.

It was not in our national interest to let that happen. I refused to let that happen. And so nine days ago, after consulting the bipartisan leadership of Congress, I authorized military action to stop the killing and enforce UN Security Council Resolution 1973. We struck regime forces approaching Benghazi to save that city and the people within it. We hit Gaddafi’s troops in neighboring Ajdabiya, allowing the opposition to drive them out. We hit his air defenses, which paved the way for a No Fly Zone. We targeted tanks and military assets that had been choking off towns and cities and we cut off much of their source of supply. And tonight, I can report that we have stopped Gaddafi’s deadly advance.

Never fear, Misratahns, President Barack Hussein Obama has your back! No way he was going to let anything happen to you. He as much as looked directly into the camera at the besieged peoples of Misratah and said so. As General Douglas MacArthur had his moment: “People of the Phillipines, I have returned!”, President Obama had his Libyan moment:

To brush aside America’s responsibility as a leader and – more profoundly – our responsibilities to our fellow human beings under such circumstances would have been a betrayal of who we are. Some nations may be able to turn a blind eye to atrocities in other countries. The United States of America is different. And as President, I refused to wait for the images of slaughter and mass graves before taking action.

In the intervening days since the President’s speech, his war policy has swung wildly in all directions: Bomb Qadaffi, Don’t bomb Qadaffi. Bomb the Rebels. Don’t bomb the rebels. No boots on the ground. Soft sneakers of the CIA on the ground. All the while, the innocent Libyans in Misratah have become the self-fulfilling contradiction that is the White House’s Obama Doctrine.

From Reuters dated April 4, 2011:
Gaddafi forces using tanks and snipers are carrying out a "massacre" in Misrata with corpses on the streets and hospitals full of the wounded, evacuees said, with one describing the besieged city as "hell".
Misrata, Libya's third city, rose up with other towns against Muammar Gaddafi's rule in mid-February, and it is now under attack by government troops after a violent crackdown put an end to most protests elsewhere in the west of the country.
"You have to visit Misrata to see the massacre by Gaddafi," said Omar Boubaker, a 40-year-old engineer with a bullet wound to the leg, brought to the Tunisian port of Sfax by a French aid group. "Corpses are in the street. Hospitals are overflowing."
Stalemate on the frontline of fighting in eastern Libya, defections from Gaddafi's circle and the plight of civilians caught in fighting or facing food and fuel shortages prompted a flurry of diplomacy to find a solution to the civil war.
But the evacuees from Misrata had more immediate concerns.
"I could live or die but I am thinking of my family and friends who are stranded in the hell of Misrata," said tearful evacuee Abdullah Lacheeb, who had serious injuries to his pelvis and stomach and a bullet wound in his leg.
"Imagine, they use tanks against civilians. He (Gaddafi) is prepared to kill everyone there ... I am thinking of my family."
Swathed in bandages, evacuees gave some of the most detailed accounts yet of conditions in Misrata, the last major rebel-held city in western Libya which recalled sieges of town and cities in the Bosnian conflict.

As the dead are littered across the city, the Libyan citizens in Misratah are learning the hard way about the Obama Doctrine. As President Obama said two years ago: “Words. Just words.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/mar/28/transcript-president-obamas-speech-libya/
http://www.trust.org/alertnet/news/libyan-wounded-describe-hell-of-misrata

ETA: Cross-posted at Red State
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 04:59:42 PM by BigAlSouth »
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
Re: The O's Libyan Speech: Words. Just Words.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 03:55:06 PM »
Chit, what would be the outcome if obama shirked his responsibilities of his fellow man? ::whatgives:: ::falldownshocked::
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 04:08:05 PM »
Chit, what would be the outcome if obama shirked his responsibilities of his fellow man? ::whatgives:: ::falldownshocked::

This is starting to look a like a campaign move for the center. Wag the dog comes to mind only no aspirin factory in sight.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 07:18:02 PM »
Good job, BAS. 

LINK plz.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 07:27:24 PM »
Good job, BAS.  

LINK plz.

Here ya go...

http://www.redstate.com/bigalsouth/2011/04/04/obamas-libyan-speech-words-just-words/

Looks like a bit of a formatting problem over there. Their html tool is a bit complicated for the uninitiated. Switching back and forth between html and visual (wysiwyg) during the authoring process causes this kind of formatting problem.

The rule of thumb at RedState: ALWAYS hit preview before submitting the post, because there IS NO EDIT TOOL. It's not easy to correct those kind of problems, but at least you have the chance if you catch it ahead of time. But once you submit, you've committed your post to cyberspace, and it takes Erick or another front-pager to edit for you, and they have little patience for it.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 07:31:49 PM »
Thank you.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 04:35:19 AM »
This is what happens when you get into a military operation by trying to get out of it .... If that makes any sense !   ::gaah::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 07:40:58 AM »
This is what happens when you get into a military operation by trying to get out of it .... If that makes any sense !   ::gaah::

::thumbsup::

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 08:26:36 AM »
The "Obama Doctrine."

As empty as the suit he wears. So, I assume that we will be showing the muzzies in the Ivory Coast some kinetic love real soon cause there is this huge humanitarian crisis there. You know, over there. In the "Cote d'Ivoire".
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 08:45:58 AM »
The "Obama Doctrine."

As empty as the suit he wears. So, I assume that we will be showing the muzzies in the Ivory Coast some kinetic love real soon cause there is this huge humanitarian crisis there. You know, over there. In the "Cote d'Ivoire".

If the media had any objectivity whatsoever they would be asking why, if America had a duty to go into Libya, does not America have a duty to go into the Ivory Coast? Obama's vapid excuse would be trumpeted for the lie that it is.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 10:33:49 AM »
The "Obama Doctrine."

If the media had any objectivity whatsoever they would be asking why, if America had a duty to go into Libya, does not America have a duty to go into the Ivory Coast? Obama's vapid excuse would be trumpeted for the lie that it is.

We will go as soon as obama learns the dialect.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 11:38:36 AM »
The "Obama Doctrine."

We will go as soon as obama learns the dialect.

OMG, he's probably practicing with TOTUS as we speak!

::facepalm::

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 12:06:44 PM »
To brush aside America’s responsibility as a leader and – more profoundly – our responsibilities to our fellow human beings under such circumstances would have been a betrayal of who we are. Some nations may be able to turn a blind eye to atrocities in other countries. The United States of America is different. And as President, I refused to wait for the images of slaughter and mass graves before taking action.

I keep going back to obamas "words"....

This one statement is profound.... So many contradictions here...so much ego here. So much subvertion here.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 12:24:03 PM »

This one statement is profound.... So many contradictions here...so much ego here. So much subvertion here.

Knowing how he doesn't take the blame for anything could he be saying that Bush waited too long before going into Iraq?
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 03:49:23 PM »

Knowing how he doesn't take the blame for anything could he be saying that Bush waited too long before going into Iraq?

I don't know, but obama most certainly is proving Bush is a genius.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 07:14:40 AM »

I don't know, but obama most certainly is proving Bush is a genius.

Hearing him say that crap just made my skin crawl!  This jackass is a walking atrocity!