Author Topic: resale/thrift shops  (Read 4323 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
resale/thrift shops
« on: July 19, 2013, 10:29:53 PM »
There are several independent resale shops in my area as well as a Goodwill and Salvation Army store.  Over the years as these places have gained popularity they have raised their prices.  Ok, it's still cheap but it's obvious they realized they could make more off their customers so they do.  Recently an organization called the St. Vincent de Paul Society opened up a thrift store in a half vacant strip mall.  I'm loving it.  They had canning jars, old tools (for a dollar each!). I bought a new $24 dollar Chinese cookbook for 60 cents.   ::danceban::  I bought a hand carved wooden spoon for 10 cents that still had the hang tag.  I like wood.  But out of curiosity I looked up the company and discovered these things retail for $32 dollars.  No way I'm using a $32 dollar wooden spoon in the kitchen.  lol.  Ebay or it becomes a gift.   ;D

Of course, there's a lot of junk --plenty of plastic stuff with cracks and broken pieces--but I love hunting for the old, sturdy stuff.  Like the old hand meat grinder I paid $4 for.  I don't know if I'll ever need it but if I do I have one that will work and not require electricity.  heh, it's so heavy it'd probably make a good weapon.

Until recently, I tended to look for either cookbooks or kids' clothing.  Now I'm on the lookout for stuff I might need long term as a prep item.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: resale/thrift shops
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 12:12:49 AM »
Buy a bunch of pop culture t-shirts and then resell them for ridiculous markups to trendy hipster morons. American Apparel and Urban Outfitters specialize in it. In fact I think Urban Outfitters literally has buyers who go to places like Goodwill and flea markets, then put the crap in their store for $100.

Trendy, urban, liberal hipsters are so much more sophisticated and intelligent than everyone else, that you can sell them a 50 cent t-shirt for $50.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 01:55:45 AM »
I would keep an eye out for cast-iron cookware.  And, if you drink coffee, an aluminum percolator.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 05:40:53 AM »
I would keep an eye out for cast-iron cookware.  And, if you drink coffee, an aluminum percolator.

Crap. Never thought of that. I'll have to keep an eye out.

Thanks for the reminder, Pan.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

RickZ

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 06:37:24 AM »
I don't really have any resale/thrift shops nearby, but I do have flea markets.

I'm now looking for a glass juicer.  I saw them all the time at sidewalk flea markets in my neighborhood, but now that I want one, I haven't seen a flea market.

Two of my favorite flea market finds:

16" outside rim to outside rim, 14" inside lip to inside lip.  Heavy duty aluminum for $10.  It makes a lovely large pie and I don't need pizza stones with that pan.  (It was to a set called Guardian that my Mom had, just not that pan; when she found out I bought it, she was jealous even though she already had the smooth pancake griddle; typical cook, never enough kitchen stuff [she taught me well as I'm always looking at cookware/kitchen gadgets; some men can spend all day at Home Depot whereas I can spend hours in the kitchen department of stores].)

Wooden clothing valet.  Found one for $15.  When I was working and wearing suits everyday, it was great.  I could 'set out' my clothes the night before so I wouldn't have to think in the morning.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 07:48:04 AM »
My wife is a yard sale junkie.

She'll hit 2 or 3 in the morning before work

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 01:21:16 PM »
I really like Corningware and have a good-size collection of different size and shape pieces, some of them with the original glass covers.  Most of them -- some of which aren't made any longer -- have come from thrift stores.

Can't beat 'em, as far as I'm concerned, although, when they're really soiled, they don't clean well in the dishwasher.  Doesn't really matter; stick 'em in the sink with hot, soapy water for a few minutes and they clean right up.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

RickZ

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 01:30:19 PM »
although, when they're really soiled, they don't clean well in the dishwasher.  Doesn't really matter; stick 'em in the sink with hot, soapy water for a few minutes and they clean right up.

When they get really stained (I have a CorningWare teapot), sprinkle on some baking soda, add water to make a paste, then use a plastic scrubber thingy.  Works like a charm.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 03:53:46 PM »
RickZ, I had to laugh at the clothing rack!  I bought one just like that 20 years ago for my husband at a rummage sale for about $3.  There are days I regret it! It has become the depository for all his clothes he doesn't hang up or throw into the laundry...it was great when he wore suits. Still no juicer? I seem to remember you mentioned wanting that a few months back.

I look for cast iron but I've only found one--a small skillet I cleaned up.  Not bad for $2.  I don't really need any more cast iron but I want to get pieces for the kids to have.  I want old, well used ones. :)

I like old Pyrex.  Not the newer stuff that reportedly can shatter. I've also found quality china for almost nothing--so when dishes are broken and chipped it doesn't bother me.

As I was making coffee yesterday I was thinking I needed an old coffee maker and not this plastic thing my mom gave me.  That's on my list now.

I wish I had all our old family camping gear from when I was a kid.  But it all disappeared when mom and dad got divorced.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

RickZ

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 03:39:30 PM »
Still no juicer? I seem to remember you mentioned wanting that a few months back.

SUCCESS!

It all started out innocently as most things do.  I was heading to the RiteAid, then the bank, then the deli, then home.  To hit the first stop, I'd normally take a left at 83rd St.  But I saw these awnings two blocks up and I though, "AHA!"  So I moseyed over.  It was a small setup, the cap end of two streets and an avenue.  So I looked over the stuff, mostly junk jewelry, junk clothes and junk toys.  But right near the end, I saw it.  It was sitting there all alone, looking so forlorn.  It was so cute, I couldn't resist it.  It's glass, with a thumb handle (like you see on older style candlesticks, as in the Colonial period), and a spout, slightly oblong, like an egg.  It's 6" across, 8" from end of thumb handle to the tip of the spout, with a 'grinding peak' of 3".  Fairly heavy, too.  I like how it's easily pourable, plus it cleans up quick.  What a beauty.  And all for the low, low price of only $5.  (I only had $8 on me as I hadn't hit the bank yet.)

I've got some pork in the freezer so it looks like I'll have to get some ginger and oranges, plus whatever strikes my fancy.  I really do have to take this baby out for a spin and give it a try.  Talk about saving time versus slicing and squeezing slices.

Oh (I'm too lazy to go back and look to see if I mentioned this or not), I did see the Martha Stewart plastic squeeze cup inside cup juicer.  They're good, just not $20, plus tax, good.  I'm thrilled with my extravagant $5 glass juicer purchase.  I'm so easily amused.

Yeah for serendipity!

ETA:  It looks like this, just without the inner 'nub' ring (I guess the ring is supposed to be a seed catcher when pouring; I'll live without it):

« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 04:14:37 PM by RickZ »

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 04:58:39 PM »
RickZ, I had to laugh at the clothing rack!  I bought one just like that 20 years ago for my husband at a rummage sale for about $3.  There are days I regret it! It has become the depository for all his clothes he doesn't hang up or throw into the laundry...

I've found the unused treadmill in the bedroom to work just as well.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

RickZ

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 05:28:40 PM »
RickZ, I had to laugh at the clothing rack!  I bought one just like that 20 years ago for my husband at a rummage sale for about $3.  There are days I regret it! It has become the depository for all his clothes he doesn't hang up or throw into the laundry...

I've found the unused treadmill in the bedroom to work just as well.

Alan, a clothing rack takes up a helluva lot less space than a treadmill.  Pounds lighter, as well.

I really like my men's clothing rack, though I no longer wear suits.  But if you do wear suits/coat and tie, then I find the men's clothing rack essential.  Takes up little space and I found mine at a flea market for $15.  Like I said before, when I worked, it was a pleasure to put out my clothes the night before while I still had a somewhat functioning brain.  And the coin tray was perfect for keys and subway tokens, back when subway tokens were required.

I also have a collapsible suitcase rack I found at -- uh, some store.  Bombay Trading?  I don't remember.  But it's lightweight, collapses to a small width of like 4-5", like a tray table.  Great for visitors who have suitcases and you have no closet space.  You've seen 'em in motel rooms, made of metal with straps.  Mine's made of wood, very lightweight.  But it will hold a hefty suitcase, so it works fine.  As I live in apartment, having useful items that fold away is perfect.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 12:39:15 AM »
Rick, I'm glad you found the glass juicer.  I don't know why but that makes me happy.  There's just something about needing something and exercising patience and then-- you find it. 

RickZ

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 04:56:13 AM »
LV, I bought what I think qualifies as a gadget.  It's like anything else in the kitchen, if you make something often enough, and there's a gadget to make your life easier, you'll buy it.  It you make a lot of apple pies or live around apple trees, you'll want an apple peeler/corer.  Me?  I don't cook with apples enough to warrant taking up valuable space with an apple peeler/corer.  But I do make stir-frys often using fresh squeezed orange and lemon juices.  Grating the zest then cutting in half to juice is so much quicker.  And it doesn't take up much kitchen space, just dedicated space, that is no stacking; my new acquisition's in the same vain as a covered glass butter dish that you normally put up somewhere safe between uses which, if you entertain, can be often.  Old school, I guess.

Now I may have to learn to make lemon cookies, the German bakery kind.  Oh well, another food hijack.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 01:03:11 PM »

Now I may have to learn to make lemon cookies, the German bakery kind.  Oh well, another food hijack.

Did someone say COOKIES?

Would you start a thread under cooking when you do. I'm not familiar with these.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 09:24:32 PM »
  Bought the same exact juicer for a buck at a goodwill store after I broke the one we'de had for 30 years.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 06:49:22 AM »
  Bought the same exact juicer for a buck at a goodwill store after I broke the one we'de had for 30 years.

Broke it?   ::saywhat::  What were you trying to squeeze John?   ;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 12:26:31 PM »

Nuts.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 09:08:24 PM »

Nuts.

Ain't that the better half's job?

::hysterical::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 08:06:45 AM »

Nuts.

Ain't that the better half's job?

::hysterical::

NO! She just crushes them.
 Filippo Mazzie