Author Topic: Which Reality Television Shows Aren't Total Suckfests?  (Read 4404 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Which Reality Television Shows Aren't Total Suckfests?
« on: July 20, 2013, 03:04:52 AM »
I ask this question because I don't mind the concept of a "reality" television show as long as:

1) The subject matter is of interest to me (or someone like me or you if you want to maybe discuss a show that I wouldn't be interested in),

2) There just happens to be something to do or whatever that makes the show timely, provocative and/or not a snooze fest and

3) It does not insult my intelligence.

Let me flesh this out...

I will go further than not minding the concept of a "reality" show and will admit that I actually like it, in theory. Here are the problems as they relate to the above conditions:

1) The subject matter has to be interesting to me. Now, I know that different things interest different people so don't get bent out of shape if I ridicule a show or type of show that you think is hot but I'm going to toss out a few examples of shows that I think are stupid and that I think are either good, might be good or could be good.

I like a show that either places its characters in danger, observes them when they are doing dangerous stuff as part of their everyday routine or otherwise puts them in a situation where they have a lot at stake and then lets you in on what they do to deal with this stuff. For instance...any type of show that has members of the armed forces in combat. That is an extreme example, I know, but there it is. Poker tournaments are like this, too, because the money and everything about it is real. These are authentic situations.

On the other hand, there is no way in the world that I am going to find "Storage Wars" of interest. I could not possibly care less if the guy from New Jersey or a pair of women from the Bronx win an auction for a storage container and then get to paw around in someone else's abandoned sh*t. Big deal and who cares? Not me. And I will say the same for any of the remodeling/decorating type of crap that is on HGTV or DIY. Watching someone get all nuts about picking between two different shades of white paint is, to me, boring. If it was my house I might find it interesting but why anyone else thinks these types of shows are "must see tv" is beyond me. But mrs. trapeze likes them so more on that later. Trailer trash shows and or anything else that seems to derive its audiences by making fun of people or their wretched circumstances is, again for me, beyond the pale.

2) I don't care for shows that just make sh*t up just to force dramatic and/or comedic situations. The characters should be doing what they normally do and not what some gay producer or writer thinks would make an interesting situation.

Here is where I will probably piss somebody off...I have watched several episodes of "Duck Dynasty" and for the life of me I do not understand why this is a hit show. It could be interesting. They could show some real life situations for the owners of a multi million dollar company...stuff about the business aspect of their lives and what they do to enrich themselves. But no, instead we are treated to utter nonsense and BS. The characters looks like total idiots who are barely able to feed themselves let alone build a financial empire. That's just stupid that they are made to look like retards...southern retards, at that.

Again, I go back to some of the military based shows. These guys have some interesting stuff going on all of the time. It's life and death. And they are highly trained and highly skilled professionals doing their jobs to the best of their ability.

I could offer more examples but I'm kinda saving them for the next bullet point...

3) No one likes to have their intelligence insulted but most of these shows don't even try to cover up the crap that they are spewing.

Example: mrs. trapeze is a big fan of all things Alaska. Why? I have no idea. It's a romanticized ideal or something. So anyway, there are a couple of Alaska based shows that she insists on watching and, quite honestly, they demonstrate an absolute contempt for anyone who thinks. One of them is "Alaska: The Last Frontier" that follows the lives of a family (a couple of generations of them) as they practice subsistence living in a harsh environment. That sounds good but it loses something in translation. First of all the people aren't even close to poor. They have some ungodly huge tract of land...something like six or seven hundred acres...maybe more. It's a lot of land. People who practice subsistence living generally don't live on The Ponderosa like the Cartwrights. Second, these people have sh*t. A lot of sh*t. They have heavy industrial equipment like track hoe excavators, bulldozers and a big frickin' barge-like boat to move the stuff down the coast when they need to. They also have lots of other stuff that poor people generally don't have like ATVs and all kinds of other stuff. Where does the money come from to buy these things? How do they pay for gas? For taxes? For everything that doesn't come out of the ground?

One of my biggest complaints is that they pretend that the camera crew doesn't exist. Another Alaska show that I am forced to watch from time to time is "Ultimate Survival Alaska." This show's premise is that they have a handful of outfitters/guides who are dumped in the middle of nowhere with almost no food and nothing other than what they carry on their backs and they have to travel over land and water to a destination or risk being stranded (gasp!) in the Alaskan wilderness. Except that there is a camera crew with each of the two or three man groups that they inexplicably divide up into for each show. No one (who thinks about it) would believe that the camera crew is going to be left behind but that's what they want you to think. I guarantee that the camera crew is not living off of bugs or whatever that they characters scoop up to eat. I am also willing to believe that the camera crews are extremely well armed in case of a bear attack. But the show attempts to leads you to believe that the camera crew simply does not exist.

But you see that time and time again on every single one of these shows where they pretend that the camera simply isn't there.

I'll add another thing that's insulting: Fake contests. Or rigged contests. mrs trapeze also loves the HGTV show where they take a group of sociopaths who also happen to work in the interior decorating field and pretend to make them compete for a tv show opportunity. I say "pretend" because I guarantee that the "winner" is known in advance. This is the same type of "contest" or "competition" that the Food channel has for the "Iron Chef" show. Totally rigged and biased from the word go. Why? Because the judges know exactly whose work they are judging. There is no chance of a blind judging situation on these shows and that makes the notion that these are actual competitions a total farce.

Here's another situation that treats you like you are an idiot...the show "Sister Wives," which is TLC's love letter to polygamists, wants you to believe that one guy...who is totally obnoxious and seemingly not very bright or talented...can financially support four women and their litters of children. This is patently absurd. And the really stupid thing is that this show could be interesting if it did show how they manage to pay their bills but it doesn't go there. I suspect that there is a massive amount of welfare fraud going on plus the "wives" must have to work at something in order to pay bills and, yes, even buy brand new houses. But this is never explored. Instead it's pure mormon fantasy and wish fulfillment. mrs. trapeze watches that one in a way that resembles a person driving slowly past a bad car accident.  

Okay, rant over (for now) but if there are some good reality shows out there I would like to know about them and what makes them good.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: Which Reality Television Shows Aren't Total Suckfests?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 05:41:45 AM »
I thought realilty TV and suckfest were synonymous?
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 06:10:30 AM »
I like Turtle Man

RickZ

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 06:17:44 AM »
One of my favorite reality tv shows was Trading Spaces.  People trading abodes and fixing up a room in them.  No angst, no voting off the island, no elimination games, just people having fun doing something for someone else.

Another older show I started watching late at night is Find & Design, where the designer works with a couple on a limited budget to redecorate a room.  They go to flea markets and yard sales, fixing up a room for usually under a thousand dollars.  Teaches the art of haggling (which one does not do with a crack dealer) and buying 'someone else's trash' to become 'your treasure'.  Quite fun, and if I had to do the 'set up a shared living space' mess all over again, I'd do it that way.  Older furniture bought dirt cheap (apologies to AC/DC).  Sure, it may take a little sanding, staining/painting and varnishing, but the quality and uniqueness of such items is much better than having that IKEA universal dorm room look.

The worst reality show I watched briefly (I'm not a fan of these types of survivor/cooking type of competition shows in the first place) was Cesar Milan's family elimination 'game' to get a dog.  Just the thought of competing to get a pet disgusts me.  Seriously, who thought that one up?

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 07:32:41 AM »
The ones I've seen that are tolerable/good:

Pawn Stars: The Harrison men & Chum are a hoot, and every show has cool items and history lessons
Antique Road Show: If you've seen it, you know
Hoarders: The magnitude of mental illness on display is absolutely amazing
Intervention: If you want to scare your kids away from addiction...
River Monsters: An angler with a cool accent targets large/ferocious freshwater species
Survivorman: No camera crew - he films himself. He may have a bail-out option, but he's alone.
Impractical Jokers: 4 guys dare each other to make fools of themselves in the general public
Extreme Makeover Home Edition: Family in dire need receives the home of their dreams, built while away on vacation
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 07:41:06 AM »
I thought realilty TV and suckfest were synonymous?

Yeah, that is what I thought too. Their growing popularity is largely why I have sworn off TV. I will come in and Michelle will be watching that crap and I walk right back out.
I can stand some of the HGTV stuff - House Hunters, or Love it or List it., but  mostly because I like looking at houses and different designs. Partly because they usually have liberals or gays on who obviously live in thier own little bubbles, and provide their own hilarity.  (We need to recycle our old cabinets so we can be green. Never mind is pressboard, Never mind that taking the paint off is a toxic mess,  never mind that it costs twice as much--and never mind that they aren't right for the new  kitchen design...)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 11:07:34 AM »
I like Mountain Men and Pawn Stars on the History Channel.  I also used to watch Billy The Exterminator on A&E, but haven't seen it in a while.  Occasionally I find myself watching parts of Restaurant Impossible, mainly because the host is so brutally honest to these people when he comes into their failing restaurants.

The thing about all these shows is that they're never anything you would ever plan to watch.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 10:37:48 PM »
I like Pawn Stars, Counting Cars and American Pickers because they deal in our history. Cool shows.

I like Duck Dynasty....I don't know why, I just like it. Not too much makes me laugh today.....This show does. Plus, they shoot things and say a prayer at the dinner table to end each show.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 11:47:25 PM »
Another reality show that I liked a lot was the annual Eco Challenge expedition race. It was only on from 1995 through 2002 but I made a point of tuning in for it every year. It was great...a Mark Burnett production...and the competition was very tough and very real. It was a team competition and each team of four people had to have at least one member of the opposite sex. All team members had to finish in order to win. Similar to a triathlon, there would always be a section (sometimes more than one section) that involved water, a section that involved hiking and climbing and a section that involved riding something...horses, camels, bicycles. There would be a series of checkpoints that had to be found and missing one would be a disqualification. Obviously, a big part of the race involved orienteering with maps and a compass...no gps devices. A lot of the teams would be made up of people that climbed mountains professionally (as guides) and there was usually one or more teams that represented the armed services (frequently special forces). A LOT of the teams didn't finish the race because the courses were so ridiculously tough.

I have no idea how Burnett was able to follow the teams with cameras as well as he did. Sometimes they would have a helicopter tracking them. There would almost always be a camera at each checkpoint.

It was a great reality show and it was great because the people and the race were very real. No opportunity for scripting when the characters don't have time to participate in that way.

A truly great show. I miss it.

Here is an episode of the Borneo race. There are more available at youtube. Well worth watching if you've never see any of them.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 11:53:06 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 12:12:48 AM »
mrs. trapeze likes reality shows. She likes them a lot. So...I get to watch them. One of the ones that I particularly don't care for is HGTV's "House Hunters" series. I didn't like it to begin with but when it was revealed that the show was totally faked from the very beginning, well, I don't know why anyone watches it.

If you are familiar with that show and didn't know...the producers pick a person or couple who have already bought a house and then film them agonizing over a decision between the house they have already bought and two others. This is an example of a show that insults the viewer's intelligence. Or, at the very least the show has no respect for their viewers and treats them with contempt.

Another example of a more or less unscripted show would be Alaska State Troopers on the National Geographic Channel (again, mrs. trapeze likes all things Alaska for some reason). Like the shows that document our military, cop shows can't be scripted. They are what they are and I appreciate that. In this case it shows the dark underside of an otherwise picturesque state. Lots of drunk drivers, suicides, poachers, drug dealers and prostitution. Not exactly what Alaska is famous for. So, I like it for that authenticity.

Did a little bit of digging into the show, "Alaska: The Last Frontier" and it seems that the Kilcher family is pretty well off. The show leads you to believe that they are kind of dirt poor and just living off of the land but that appears to not be the case. One of the Kilchers is even pretty rich and famous...someone I don't know called Jewel Kilcher who is a multi platinum recording artist. Go figure. (That's the showbiz connection and almost certainly explains how this show was pitched to the producers) Plus the late patriarch, Yule Kilcher, who came to Alaska from Switzerland to escape the war was a politician of some sort who helped to craft the Alaska state constitution prior to statehood. The huge family homestead is actually within walking distance of Homer, Alaska which is a fairly large town. There are real roads pretty much everywhere and most modern conveniences are available. So...the premise of the show, that the family is in the middle of nowhere and lives hand to mouth is mostly made up nonsense. On the other hand, they appear to be fairly decent people when they aren't deceiving the rest of us into believing that they are a modern day wilderness family. Even though the show, upon closer examination, is almost certainly fake they do promote the killing of animals with firearms so I will give them credit for that. Anything that promotes the proper use of guns can't be all bad.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 01:23:34 AM by trapeze »

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 08:03:24 AM »
I like Duck Dynasty....I don't know why, I just like it. Not too much makes me laugh today.....This show does. Plus, they shoot things and say a prayer at the dinner table to end each show.

Yup, I forgot Duck Dynasty on my list above. That's another goodie. Funny as heck - also staged, but who cares. The Robertson's are good guys with interesting personalities, interesting pasts, pretty wives, respectful children, and love for Jesus. A show that ends every episode with the family gathering around a meal and praying together, along with a "moral of the episode" voice-over, can't be all bad for folks like us.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 11:18:17 AM »
I forgot to mention the "Space Cadets" show that was a British production. It's available on YouTube and I think I posted it in the funny stuff on the net thread.

Now THAT was a great reality show that totally ridiculed reality shows.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 04:45:54 PM »
I consider most reality shows a big time waster.  But whatever, I do see one occasionally.  I came across this a month or so ago.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/487616#i0,p57,d0
Kitchen Nightmares--Amy's Baking Company

It's a restaurant makeover show called Kitchen Nightmares starring Chef Gordon Ramsay. This particular episode was their finale.  I think their whole thing is to feature the nuttiest restaurant owners they can find and swear (bleeped) as much as possible.  Anyway, this set of owners was crazy.  I showed this ep to people who hate reality shows and they were amazed.  Read the comments at hulu.  In fact read the comments before you watch lol.  Anyway, this woman was convinced that their place was failing because a reviewer on yelp dissed them so she replied in nasty terms and it got out of control.  To the point people had basically taken over their facebook with wacko but funny comments to them.  I think they took it all down though. Fun reading. 

At the beginning of the show the owners are shown yelling to customers to leave if they don't like the food. It's pretty entertaining.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 07:39:37 AM »
Back when I had cable I'll admit to watching a few episodes of Ice Road Truckers and International House Hunters.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 10:24:49 AM »
I watched a n bit of a new one last night: Naked and Afraid.

They drop an unrelated man and woman (naked) in the jungles of Borneo with nothing to survive 21 days

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 10:52:27 AM »

They drop an unrelated man and woman (naked) in the jungles of Borneo with nothing to survive 21 days

Let me guess, the show ends with the episode where the woman convinces the man to take a bite out of this apple she just found.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 11:06:58 AM »

Lemme guess... The dude spent the entire episode trying to convince the woman that survivalist priority #1 is to snuggle - purely for the purpose of staving off the elements.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2013, 12:01:14 PM »
That was probably in the outtakes

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 01:07:08 PM »

I had never watched this show.....My wife comes home and said it was recommended by one of her vendors....So, we turn it on. I watched about 5 minutes. I really don't care for soft porn passed off as survival. She did not like my advise as to what I would tell her vendor.

So what's next??? Two naked people attempting to "survive" is not reality TV. It was disgusting TV.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 05:39:05 PM »
I consider most reality shows a big time waster.  But whatever, I do see one occasionally.  I came across this a month or so ago.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/487616#i0,p57,d0
Kitchen Nightmares--Amy's Baking Company

It's a restaurant makeover show called Kitchen Nightmares starring Chef Gordon Ramsay. This particular episode was their finale.  I think their whole thing is to feature the nuttiest restaurant owners they can find and swear (bleeped) as much as possible.  Anyway, this set of owners was crazy.  I showed this ep to people who hate reality shows and they were amazed.  Read the comments at hulu.  In fact read the comments before you watch lol.  Anyway, this woman was convinced that their place was failing because a reviewer on yelp dissed them so she replied in nasty terms and it got out of control.  To the point people had basically taken over their facebook with wacko but funny comments to them.  I think they took it all down though. Fun reading.  

At the beginning of the show the owners are shown yelling to customers to leave if they don't like the food. It's pretty entertaining.

I posted quite a bit about Amy's Baking Company after the Gordon Ramsey failed intervention. I don't remember where on IAL it is but it's out there somewhere. Lots of links including the ABC Facebook page which is hilarious if you scroll back to when this all went down because Amy gets into it with several hundred people who posted on her page.

She is a true psycho and her husband is almost certainly an illegal alien who also has psycho tendencies.

EDIT: Here is the link to my original post on the subject and here is the follow up. The follow up contains the info about Samy's little problem with the INS.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 05:43:45 PM by trapeze »