Author Topic: Mike Rowe -- excellent fisking on the notion of "bad jobs".  (Read 1467 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Mike Rowe -- excellent fisking on the notion of "bad jobs".
« on: August 25, 2013, 12:44:47 PM »
Feel like following some links for this?

First, in case the name Mike Rowe doesn't ring a bell:  "Mike Rowe, star of Dirty Jobs, narrator of Deadliest Catch and other TV shows, spokesman for Ford and supporter and promoter of the skilled trades .... "

Second is this guy, who wrote a piece with a poll: Question of the Day: Are bad jobs good for the economy and people who work them? (poll), and had to correct the error of using Mike Rowe's picture without permission.

Now, the fisking, found here.

H/T The Smallest Minority
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Mike Rowe -- excellent fisking on the notion of "bad jobs".
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 01:05:13 PM »
The whole thing is funny and filled with many excellent points, but this little bit was hilarious -

First of all, Steve, the Dirty Jobs Code of Conduct contains a Damnation Clause that clearly and unequivocally states that my photo “can not be used in conjunction with any satanic reference, including but not limited to Lucifer, Hades, Old Scratch, Hell, Perdition, Beelzebub or Honey Boo Boo.”

::hysterical::   ::rolllaughing::   ::laughonfloor::

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 02:00:09 PM »
Fantastic ! Picture form one of the first comments

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 02:19:07 PM »
Yes, I liked this one too:

"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 02:48:15 PM »
Twice now in the last week, men (one from whom we'd least expect it) speaking of no job beneath them/opportunity looks a lot like work.  Should I be encouraged .... or are we being taunted?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 03:25:33 PM »
I had heard before that Mike Rowe was a Republican (I think he was even at the convention in Tampa), so I wasn't too surprised.  Who is the other one?

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 03:50:24 PM »
I had heard before that Mike Rowe was a Republican (I think he was even at the convention in Tampa), so I wasn't too surprised.  Who is the other one?

Ashton Kutcher Acceptance Speech - Teen Choice Awards 2013 (High Quality)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 05:10:29 PM »
Even though what Ashton Kutcher said was spot-on, it has cossed my mind that it could also be viewed as softening the ground for lower expectations and lower aspirations.

IIRC, he has been a staunch Obama supporter. I seem to remember a video with a bunch of celebs early on saying how it was now our duty to help Obama accomplish his agenda.

I may be misremembering.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 05:20:56 PM »
Even though what Ashton Kutcher said was spot-on, it has cossed my mind that it could also be viewed as softening the ground for lower expectations and lower aspirations.

IIRC, he has been a staunch Obama supporter. I seem to remember a video with a bunch of celebs early on saying how it was now our duty to help Obama accomplish his agenda.

I may be misremembering.

Can't say, IDP, as relates to Kucher specifically.  What I heard was a condensed, "Teen Choice Awards" version of Mike Rowe's words, pitched to the Entitlement minded young.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 06:34:46 PM »

I may be misremembering.

I impress myself:

Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher 3:52: "I pledge to be a servant to our president and all mankind."

I Pledge - Celebrities pledge to help bring about change
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 07:50:49 PM »

I may be misremembering.

I impress myself:

Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher 3:52: "I pledge to be a servant to our president and all mankind."

I Pledge - Celebrities pledge to help bring about change

Well, you impress me too.  A word:  these people immerse themselves in a world of make believe; they become the characters they portray.  I suggest that Kucher delved into the world of Steve Jobs due to the job and came away with a new understanding of free-market principles, albeit temporarily, until the next role.  I'll take it, however small and temporary because the young heads full of mush tend to hang on these folks's every word and until the word changes, it is the word.  Savvy?

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 08:12:36 PM »
Every time I hear or read anyone use "Savvy?" I have to think of the movie Tombstone. Even though it came out 20 years ago I only recently saw it. It was Ann Barnhardt's frequent referencing of it that prompted me to watch it.  Great movie.

Law Dog

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 09:25:40 PM »
For me, it was Pirates of the ____ ; Johnny Depp.  Savvy?

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 10:27:50 PM »
Best part of the whole thing:

MR- Well, Steve, I’m no expert (and the Hubris Clause of the DJCC forbids me from pretending to be one), but after a lot of careful reflection, I think we might have our head up our ass.

And yeah, Tombstone is epic. Terrific work by Kurt Russell, Val Kilmer, Sam Elliot and many others. Stomped the Costner wannabe film, "Wyatt Earp" into the ground. That one is in my top 10 best westerns of all time.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 10:02:03 AM »
Excellent.

This country pretty much values work only if it comes with enough perks and benefits.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."