Author Topic: Any Roku users here? Found a nifty/useful channel this morning.  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Maddy

• Likes the place
Any Roku users here? Found a nifty/useful channel this morning.
« on: September 22, 2013, 02:36:57 PM »
If there are any Roku users here you know that Roku hasn't added YouTube to their list of channels yet (why I have no idea.) Anyway, I was surfing the Channel store this morning to see what's new and ran across the Twonky channel (it's free) which allows you to play internet videos from anywhere (YouTube, FOX, Blaze - you name it) on your TV via Roku. Once you add the channel all that you need to do is download their app to your smartphone/iPad/Android tablet acts the remote control. It's great!

If you do check it out be sure and let me know if you have any problems. I did have a problem when setting mine up due to an error that I made (in short I somehow managed to add the older version of the channel which caused a conflict with the app but if you make that mistake it's easily fixable and I can let you know how to fix it if you have any problems. Otherwise, it's great! YouTube, etc... on the TV! Woo hoo! ::whoohoo::

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: Any Roku users here? Found a nifty/useful channel this morning.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 03:10:23 PM »
I have been using Roku for a while. The lack of a YouTube channel has been sort of irritating so I will look into that soon. For me the thing has been deciding which of the pay services to use. Currently I have Amazon, Netflix and Hulu Plus. I'm leaning toward Amazon and thinking that I can probably do without the other two.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Maddy

• Likes the place
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 05:07:39 PM »
Gotcha. That's pretty much the lineup I have as well sans Hulu Plus - which I really thought about getting before Netflix and Amazon. In fact, the only reason I have Amazon is because my tablet is a Kindlefire HD and I'm a Prime member (which I really just signed up for to get the free 2-day shipping and Lending Library/free monthly book a couple of years ago when I bought my first Kindlefire, but I've recently started watching Downton Abbey and am now thrilled that with it even though I only get part of their catalog for free.)

I'm actually thinking of subscribing to the full shebang on Amazon because Netflix didn't offer D Abbey and I'm now an Abbey addict, and I also see that their content is much more up-to-date than Netflix's currently is.) In fact, I like the show Breaking Bad and really want to watch the entire series but see that Netflix only offers a season or two. So yeah, I'm thinking your leaning towards the right choice in Amazon.

I saw where Google recently released their own device called the Chromecast which looks pretty impressive, but I think that I'll stick w/ Roku for now just because I already have it.

I also ran across this article below that talks about a new feature that Roku's adding to rival Google Chromecast. Looks interesting. I guess it turns your smartphone into a remote control. Not sure if I'll ever use that feature, but I do like to see that Roku's not resting on their laurels and keeping up the competition. All the better for us Roku users!  ;)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57602527-93/roku-takes-on-google-with-new-chromecast-like-feature/

Roku takes on Google with new Chromecast-like feature

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 05:27:54 PM »
There's way too much Netflix has that Amazon doesn't to drop Netflix.  Hulu?  No use for it as it's only current TV and I can't think of a single thing I'd want to watch.  WSJLive and now Sky News is on it.  I watch both.   It's only a matter of time for the rest to find their way to Roku, free or subscription. 

Adapt or die.  I haven't watched a college football game in over a year, now, and am starting to forget why I used to watch it.  Again, adapt or die.  Offer it to me or I dump you forever as cable is no longer an option.

Offline Maddy

• Likes the place
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 06:45:31 PM »
There's way too much Netflix has that Amazon doesn't to drop Netflix.  Hulu?  No use for it as it's only current TV and I can't think of a single thing I'd want to watch.  WSJLive and now Sky News is on it.  I watch both.   It's only a matter of time for the rest to find their way to Roku, free or subscription. 

Adapt or die.  I haven't watched a college football game in over a year, now, and am starting to forget why I used to watch it.  Again, adapt or die.  Offer it to me or I dump you forever as cable is no longer an option.

Agreed. We still have cable as we watch a lot of A&E, ID network, baseball/hockey and Fox News (live), etc... But yep - many of these networks either need to get with the program or go the way of the dinosaur. To be honest I'll be shocked if I still have cable 2 yrs from now. My guess is that many of the Cable providers will simply turn into phone/internet providers - or start making their own original content, like Netflix, that will attract new viewers and/or keep the old ones just to survive.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 08:08:37 PM »
I use DirecTV and I, too, am wondering if it is going to continue to be in my future. I will say this, if the satellite providers (which would also include Dish) would do just one thing then I would stay with them for at least a few more years. That one thing would be to allow me to choose my own channel line up and price my service accordingly.

I pay for a buttload of channels that I have never watched and never will watch and the only reason I pay for them is that the satellite (and cable) companies make me. I resent that. A lot. It is a variation of "the customer is always wrong" philosophy (Amy's Baking Company) and there is a pretty reliable history of what happens to companies that treat their customers poorly. Burger King used to be able to say that their customers could "have it their way" and they still can but it's not unique anymore. McDonalds and all of the other fast food outfits adapted their "this is the way we make it and if you don't like it you can pull the stuff off that you don't want" attitude many years ago. They all survived. But in the world of cable and satellite television you have to take what they are serving on take nothing at all.

The thing is, they know they are losing marketshare and they still will not change this stupid business plan. It is infuriating to the consumer but they do not care. So really, it is only a matter of time before I, too, give up on them as so many others have already. Roku or something similar is going to be a bigger part of my television experience in the future.

And the Downton Abbey thing is what it is. Americans are apparently starved for something other than what we are continually force fed from the usual sources. I tried to find a YouTube clip (but couldn't) on the Downton Abbey joke that was inserted into Ironman 3. That's a heck of a pop culture validation check right there.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 08:18:59 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 10:00:45 PM »
The world content is where the Roku excels. 

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 11:35:27 PM »
I have Direct too.
But I have the Genie in MY bedroom

Offline Maddy

• Likes the place
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 11:43:15 PM »
I use DirecTV and I, too, am wondering if it is going to continue to be in my future. I will say this, if the satellite providers (which would also include Dish) would do just one thing then I would stay with them for at least a few more years. That one thing would be to allow me to choose my own channel line up and price my service accordingly.

I pay for a buttload of channels that I have never watched and never will watch and the only reason I pay for them is that the satellite (and cable) companies make me. I resent that. A lot. It is a variation of "the customer is always wrong" philosophy (Amy's Baking Company) and there is a pretty reliable history of what happens to companies that treat their customers poorly. Burger King used to be able to say that their customers could "have it their way" and they still can but it's not unique anymore. McDonalds and all of the other fast food outfits adapted their "this is the way we make it and if you don't like it you can pull the stuff off that you don't want" attitude many years ago. They all survived. But in the world of cable and satellite television you have to take what they are serving on take nothing at all.

The thing is, they know they are losing marketshare and they still will not change this stupid business plan. It is infuriating to the consumer but they do not care. So really, it is only a matter of time before I, too, give up on them as so many others have already. Roku or something similar is going to be a bigger part of my television experience in the future.

And the Downton Abbey thing is what it is. Americans are apparently starved for something other than what we are continually force fed from the usual sources. I tried to find a YouTube clip (but couldn't) on the Downton Abbey joke that was inserted into Ironman 3. That's a heck of a pop culture validation check right there.

I fully agree and can't imagine that satellite and cable providers can continue to ignore these common frustrations by their customers. Going à la carte is the way of everything now and these big providers. In fact I would think/hope that this is one of the top 3 industry discussions of nearly Cable provider out there right now. If not, they will surely tank in the not-so-distant future. Thanks for the trivia on the Abbey/Ironman. I'm sure the clip will hit the Net sooner or later.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 06:29:36 AM »
If the Comcast went a la carte, the leftists stations they control would quickly go belly up and they know it. Their entire business model is one that force feeds sh*t down the public's throat in the form of propaganda.

What really needs to happen is for the people who object to the propaganda is to cancel all of their subscription and get what they can from the independents such as Roku via internet service. I don't expect this to happen anymore than I expect conservatives to rise up and begin to shoot at the government.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 08:06:28 AM »
I know one that has.

::pimp::

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 02:06:51 PM »
Bet your cable/satellite system doesn't have the DLR Channel.  My Roku does.

Yes, THAT DLR, David Lee Roth.  ::pimp::

Not sure what to make of it, yet...