Author Topic: Ubiquitous camera phones ...  (Read 523 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Ubiquitous camera phones ...
« on: October 01, 2013, 12:46:27 PM »
... have disrupted peoples' sense of propriety.

We had the fireplace insert cleaned today.  I caught the young man photographing it and asked him what he thought he was doing.  "For the files", he said (they did the original install).

I found myself explaining the concept of private property requiring permission to be photographed.  Apparently, few others think anything of it.

Last year, when the freezer repairman came, he whipped out his phone and started taking pictures of the '55 (the freezer and the car are in the garage).  Never asked permission and I admonished him as well, but he was old enough to damn well know better.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Ubiquitous camera phones ...
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 01:10:21 PM »
I was speaking here just a few days ago about the unforeseen sociological implications of personal technology.

Just a few short years ago, if you wanted to take a picture, you had to buy a camera, purposefully bring it with you, and then go to get the negatives developed. If you wanted to make a phone call, you had to wait until you were at home, or use a pay phone. If you wanted to take a video, well, you get the picture.

Along with everyone suddenly having the ability to talk on the phone, take photos, or video at any and all times, comes the reality that virtually NO ONE has explored the implications of it.

Thus, it doesn't surprise me that some dolt would consider it no biggie to take a piture of your property in your home or garage. He's only been carrying the ability to do it for a few short years at the most, and before that, it wasn't an issue because it wasn't a possibility. He never needed to learn how to behave with a 24/7/365 camera.

Now you've schooled him. I hope he takes it to heart.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 01:18:02 PM »
I hope he takes it to heart as well.  I am, however, going to reinforce the lesson with a chat with his boss.

/yes, I'm the monster that made the girl cry at Christmas.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 01:38:46 PM »
I haven't had that happen yet but thanks for the warning. I'll make sure to watch for that in the future.

We live in a world of "if you can do it, you do".
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

RickZ

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 01:49:48 PM »
When people put the inane minutiae of their lives on social networks for all the world to read, no wonder people have no concept of privacy rights -- they've voluntarily given theirs up.

/Proud social media non-member and proud owner of no cell phone.

//Just call me Luddite, in the morning, baby.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 02:23:53 PM »
"You wanna keep that phone, pal?"

;)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 02:43:12 PM »
I just talked to the boss.  He admitted he's 55 and tends to do the same sort of thing -- have cameraphone/will photograph -- then asked me to explain "my concerns".  I asked him if he really needed an explanation of the concept of private property and privacy and the violation of both sans permission to make a photographic record of my stuff in my house.  He kept referring to that as "collecting data".

I figure he'll not be sharing that stuff as it's proprietary, so that's not my objection.

He wasn't obnoxious and not dismissive, just ...... clueless isn't even the word I'm looking for ....

If he had good home raising, modern technology has caused some slippage.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 02:47:00 PM »
He is baffled as to why someone would object to such a common device...it'd be like a person looking funny at someone back in the 70's taking out a little notebook and scribbling notes while you talk...no big deal, right?  Everybody does it...

::)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.