Author Topic: "Let's Move" - but don't forget your helmet  (Read 3374 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
"Let's Move" - but don't forget your helmet
« on: October 10, 2013, 02:51:12 PM »
This is almost too absurd to believe. But I followed the links to a stamp collector site. It's real.

POSTAL SERVICE TO DESTROY MICHELLE O. 'JUST MOVE' STAMP SERIES OVER SAFETY CONCERNS

According to Linn’s Stamp News, the US Postal Service has now been forced to destroy the entire run of stamps based on Michelle Obama’s “Let’s Move” initiative.

That’s because three of the stamps showed children doing unsafe activities: one showed a child jumping cannonball-style into water; a second showed a child skateboarding without kneepads; a third showed a child doing a headstand without a helmet.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: "Let's Move" - but don't forget your helmet
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 03:25:59 PM »
I guess I am really fortunate to have been part of the last generation of kids to grow up without ridiculous safety rules on everything.  I rode bikes without helmets and pads, jumped off the high dive at the pool (which has since been removed), climbed trees, started fires (I got in trouble for that), swung from homemade zip lines, played in a tree house, etc.

Seems that things really started going Full Retard in the 90s and has gotten progressively (there's that word again) worse with each year.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 04:10:13 PM »
Maybe there's a reason we "survived" not wearing helmets etc...because they're not all they're made out to be:

from the Bicycle Helmet Research Foundation:
It is at first surprising to many people that the wearing of helmets by cyclists is a controversial subject. However, cycling safety is a much more complex issue than many people realise, where best evidence and real-world experience sometimes conflict with received opinion.

It's worth a read.  Basically, it makes the point that the perceived benefits like so many things we do today probably aren't there.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 05:22:33 PM »
@iowahawkblog:
America narrowly avoids epidemic of maimed children lured into unsafe playtime practices by ill-designed stamps
http://t.co/rRrz9elXw2
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 05:52:20 PM »
It says a lot about society today that most parents would rather stick their kids in this ....

... filled with balloons or nerf balls.

And none of it good.

I'm surprised they don't helmet the kids for this too; can't be too careful, sometimes the kids bang into each other.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »
My brother,  who has 4 little kids and works for a park district with tons of kids programs has an interesting theory.  He  thinks that the over reliance on "safety" gear makes some kids MORE reckless (the gear protects against all) and others into fearful wimps.   Neither are good. 

"proud survivor of a 1980's upbringing,  the last of the safety gear free generation"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 06:33:33 PM »
It says a lot about society today that most parents would rather stick their kids in this ....

And none of it good.

I'm surprised they don't helmet the kids for this too; can't be too careful, sometimes the kids bang into each other.

LOL. We rented one of these things for my grandson's birthday party a couple weeks ago. My daughter was the oldest at 8 years, but she's about the size of a 5 or 6 year old. The rest of the kids were between 2 and 6.

Couldn't go 10 minutes without one of the littler ones crying. Clunked heads... _______ made me fall down... ________ is making it too bouncy...

We were joking that we didn't order the deluxe package with helmets and pads.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 07:32:45 PM »
My oldest when she was about 3 or 4 was in one of those bouncing things. Some kid bounced into and knocked her down. I was watching her.  She stayed down and didn't move.  I dragged her out by her feet and had to revived her. Finally she took a breath. Apparently, she got the breath knocked out of her.  No one, not a parent, not the employee offered to assist me.

None of my kids have been in one since.  They are incredibly popular to rent in my area.

Also, trampolines.  My cousin about 20 years ago (he was 15) fell and died while jumping on it. I explained this to a friend once when I wouldn't let my kids get on her kids' trampoline.  She shrugged and walked off. Ah, but her kids wear helmets on their bikes!
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 08:53:13 PM »
There's and idea, take one machine and put Democraps in tell them to have fun. Then shoot the survivors.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 09:21:42 PM »

And none of it good.

LOL. We rented one of these things for my grandson's birthday party a couple weeks ago. My daughter was the oldest at 8 years, but she's about the size of a 5 or 6 year old. The rest of the kids were between 2 and 6.

Couldn't go 10 minutes without one of the littler ones crying. Clunked heads... _______ made me fall down... ________ is making it too bouncy...

We were joking that we didn't order the deluxe package with helmets and pads.

Right.  I don't know whether to be impressed with myself or depressed.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 08:05:03 AM »
I only wore a helmet for two things in my life...motorcycle riding and football. 

If I had to tally how many times I tried to kill myself on a bike, a tree, a sled, a boat, a minibike, whatever...I'm a numbers guys and I can't tabulate all that!!!

I asked my sisters boys "y'all jump your bikes off homemade ramps and stuff at all?"...I got blank stares...

::facepalm::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 08:49:32 AM »
Yuk it up, people, but none of you realize the danger that's been averted.  Need I remind you what happened the last time Mooch cannonballed?

Dramatic New Video of Japan Tsunami

::thinking::

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 11:27:58 AM »
I asked my sisters boys "y'all jump your bikes off homemade ramps and stuff at all?"...I got blank stares...

THOSE were the days!! I was surprised to learn I could still have children after my feet leaving the peddles and landing on the bar a couple times.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2013, 11:32:03 AM »

THOSE were the days!! I was surprised to learn I could still have children after my feet leaving the peddles and landing on the bar a couple times.
You mean ......it took more than one lesson repeatedly for you to learn gravity steal and testicles don't mesh well?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 08:19:57 AM »

You mean ......it took more than one lesson repeatedly for you to learn gravity steal and testicles don't mesh well?

It's called "racking your nuts" and yeah, been there too many times and done that...and, hey, I got no kids!   ::speechless::

::hysterical::

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 08:37:06 AM »

Once was all it took for me to learn a valuable lesson, and I didn't even land there.  Maybe an inch away, and left a deep bruise on my inside thigh.  It bent the handlebars of my bike!  Yes, one inch from

::curtsy4::

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 11:08:33 AM »
My biggest bicycle acrobatics (accidental acrobatics) occurred when my stupid shoestrings managed to get caught up in the gears. At speed that will pull your ass right off the bike. And make you veer into a tree right in front of that girl Christina's house.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 11:38:20 AM »
Christina didn't come out to see if you were OK?   ::facepalm::

;D

My most epic moment on two wheels...

Going down a step hill about 40mph and hitting a hard dirt jump only a couple feet high...going airborn and then going ass-over-ears and landing on a hard gravelly surface...at least I think it was hard...when I woke up staring at the sky I was aware of hurting all over...that and my torn bloody clothes and big gash in my leg where the derailer bit me...I was a sight to see...13 year old dumbass dragging a wrecked bike and looking like an extra from a horror film...

I was done with jumps and bicycles after that...

And nobody was around to witness the stupidity...(which I guess was a good thing!)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 12:46:30 PM »

It took more than one time when using different tactics. Slow learner.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 06:39:50 PM »
I was never much of an adrenaline junky though I did like to go fast but common sense always over ruled many of my friends nudging me to do what I would describe today as really stupid sh*t.
They broke bones, faces and of course racking. I really hated pain and doing activities that usually ended up in pain, I avoided although football was safe enough even without the pads.