Author Topic: On Debating/Arguing With Lefty Trolls  (Read 1463 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
On Debating/Arguing With Lefty Trolls
« on: October 17, 2013, 01:03:02 AM »
Great article. Well worth the time to read.

There's this:

Liberals never want to argue ABOUT a topic. They want to argue about why your opinion on that topic doesn’t count. It doesn’t matter who or what you are, there is some reason that your opinion doesn’t count, and it doesn’t have to make sense.

Say that you are a man who thinks abortion is murder, well your opinion obviously doesn’t count because you’re a man! What if my wife said that? Well, her opinion doesn’t count because she’s biased because she has children. What if a childless woman said that? Well, her opinion doesn’t count because she’s probably religious. What if she’s an atheist libertarian who happens to believe that a fetus should be considered a human being and thus receive the same rights and legal protections as any other human being? Hurr… Derp… Don’t legislate my vagina! War on women! Quick, switch to another item on the checklist!

Or this...

My big gun control article was dismissed by many because I am an expert on the subject and was thus “biased”. I’ve seen doctor’s opinions dismissed on health care reform because they were “biased”. Gee whiz, wouldn’t you think that somebody who invested their life into a topic would have a strong opinion on it?

But this also goes the other way. Say you own a small business and think your taxes are too high? Well, you’re not a PhD in Economics from Yale turned democrat appointed Treasury Secretary, so obviously your opinion doesn’t count… So you can be disqualified for knowing too much or for knowing too little.

So how much do you need to know for your opinion to be accepted by a poo flinger? If you are conservative? The answer will either be too hot or too cold. If you are liberal? Well, then whatever you know is just right.

Much more at the link.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: On Debating/Arguing With Lefty Trolls
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 04:31:32 AM »
Amusing piece.  On the money, too.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 05:33:15 AM »
I'm very familiar with & used to this on Twitter. I use Twitter for 2 things: discussing Christian Apologetics & the topic of Leadership (servant-minded leadership specifically). Lefty tweeters often take my name in vain, disparage or outright curse me out...without positing a logical POV themselves.

I don't care much, nor do I read their content...by my Klout score soars every time they do...& the email alerts by Klout to same let's me know I'm doing my job (pissing them off).  ;D

(caveat: that's not Job 1, which is networking...but the "piss 'em off" part is like overtime pay!  ;D)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 05:37:25 AM by Pablo de Fleurs »
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline OldSailor

• The world is sick and getting sicker.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 05:50:19 AM »
I'm very familiar with & used to this on Twitter. I use Twitter for 2 things: discussing Christian Apologetics & the topic of Leadership (servant-minded leadership specifically). Lefty tweeters often take my name in vain, disparage or outright curse me out...without positing a logical POV themselves.

That is always a good indication, when the monkeys are reduced to flinging big steaming handfuls of poo.  As you may notice, I am no great debater but I've found that even I get attacked like that from time to time.  Refreshing and fun!

I don't care much, nor do I read their content...by my Klout score soars every time they do...& the email alerts by Klout to same let's me know I'm doing my job (pissing them off).  ;D

(caveat: that's not Job 1, which is networking...but the "piss 'em off" part is like overtime pay!  ;D)

All I can say to that is "Well done!"   ::thumbsup::
"In it's most basic form the right to keep and bear arms is nothing less than the right to maintain the means of one's own self-defense. If a man chooses not to arm himself, that is his choice and right. It is NOT his right to force his choice upon me." - Me

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 06:54:46 AM »
I prefer pummel and ridicule over debate and argue when it comes to the walking brain dead...there is no point in trying to sway these write-off's...they cannot process reason or logic because they have zero independent critical thinking ability...they can barely wash and dress themselves and have to be told by their handlers what to do and what to think...why would I waste time on them beyond my own amusement?
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 07:41:46 AM »

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 08:56:49 AM »
I prefer pummel and ridicule over debate and argue when it comes to the walking brain dead...there is no point in trying to sway these write-off's...they cannot process reason or logic because they have zero independent critical thinking ability...they can barely wash and dress themselves and have to be told by their handlers what to do and what to think...why would I waste time on them beyond my own amusement?

The Author indicated we should engage to demonstrate to others what fools these morons were. You guys know I would engage sometimes on Powerline, and before that and more often at Town  Hall ( back when that was a group open thread type forum)   I even  did it a while on Facebook  (witht those same "freiends' that exculuded me form their blog mostly because I wrote something similar.. ) before  giving up. The conservatives just nodded their heads quietly,  and the "independents" posted another photo of  a baby, a trip to the zoo or something because their goal was obviously to change the subject.

I found a couple of items notably absent from the article.  The  "Holier than Thou" (its a type of deflection I guess)  where the Liberal just tells you that you are too stupid to argue with or waste time on. I will usually get that before I get "Racist"  and it was how I measured "winning" -

Also, he doesn't really go into their tendency for projection.  75% of the time, what they accuse you of, they are thinking of doing, are doing or have done. They accuse you of certain behavior because that is what THEY would do in your shoes.  They assume the Right is playing the same game as the left -  the quest for power.  We never have been - we  seek truth and freedom.  In any argument they are seeking self-affirmation that they are rhetorically clever,  linguistically smart, or  if all else fails , grammatically correct. ( You misspelled/mis-typed something, used a period instead of a question mark, etc)  They feel this proves they are superior and therefore "right": They really don't ever care what the truth is.

He also  alludes to the "actually can make an argument" type of liberal as someone worthy of debate and respect. But no,  they are, in fact, the worst. They are just obtaining the self-affirmation a different way  - and are displaying just as much bad-faith and they are just as disingenuous  as the run of the mill self-affirmation seekers. Yes, you can hone your arguments and points with them, but what they are really doing is just playing for a stalemate.  Prolonging the discussion till one of you tires out. These are, fundamentally the  trolls.  Every time someone contradicts them, they have an opportunity to  feel smarter than you. That  is  all. It doesn't matter what you said, or even what they said. They get an ego boost from simply having someone else say they are full of crap because they know in their heart of hearts, that they are axiomatically "right" - morally, spiritually, and intellectually.  They still won't respond to your argument directly, but they will instead ask leading, pertinent questions about your world view and take the occasional  pot shot at one or another. They will not engage in a quid pro quo. They will not answer questions about their own world view. They will not respond to questions as to why they disagree with a given statement of yours.  They may be decent "debators" but they are NOT interested, in  any way,  in finding the truth.

Finally the formal fallacy name  for  blaming the GOP for the same actions of the Dems ( part of "making things up" is called Tu Quoque.  It means "You Too. "

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 09:03:25 AM »
Weisshaupt, you have described to a "T" a Lefty on my local forum.  I've all but stopped "talking" to him at all, save an occasional, 1) "shut up; you're ignorant" or 2) "don't care".

Yes, I know the former is rude and uncivil; see #2.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 09:35:12 AM »
...In any argument they are seeking self-affirmation that they are rhetorically clever,  linguistically smart, or  if all else fails , grammatically correct. ( You misspelled/mis-typed something, used a period instead of a question mark, etc)  They feel this proves they are superior and therefore "right": They really don't ever care what the truth is.

Their appeal is to a "liberalism of the gaps", meaning they cannot explain and/or do not actually know what they're talking about, so they shuck, jive & ridicule...because there's not a lot of critical thinking going on.
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 11:31:14 AM »
Weisshaupt - "75% of the time, what they accuse you of, they are thinking of doing, are doing or have done."

I'd say that percentage is increasing at an exponential rate.

For Obama I think it is 100%.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 01:15:42 PM »
In any argument they are seeking self-affirmation that they are rhetorically clever,  linguistically smart, or  if all else fails , grammatically correct.

::laughonfloor::

I no longer care to "debate" a liberal.  They're stupid.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 01:59:48 PM »
Lins soak themselves in the delusion that they always have the moral high ground, because they care and conservatives are bad people.

See it does not matter if the program costs a trillion dollars and it will kill the economy, they are right because they care.

How can you debate a mental illness?
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 02:02:32 PM »

How can you debate a mental illness?

you can't

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Septugenarian

• A Regular
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 02:36:30 PM »
Personally, I'd rather do nothing than waste my time! 
I'm entitled (to be cranky).

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 03:43:04 PM »
 I prefer a good laugh at their expense. I use their own methods,short, snarky and ridiculous statements in no particular order.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 10:48:24 PM »
You have all described, far more eloquently than I am about to, why we are beyond the days of engaging in arguments and even name calling.

Me? I'm to the point now where I'd just assume bash their skull in with a blunt object than engage them in any kind of debate.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 07:22:09 AM »
Or, hold their faces in puddles until the bubbles stop...

Argument won.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 07:39:31 AM »
You have all described, far more eloquently than I am about to, why we are beyond the days of engaging in arguments and even name calling.

Me? I'm to the point now where I'd just assume bash their skull in with a blunt object than engage them in any kind of debate.

At this point what would we debate about and to what purpose? The Collapse is going to come, and there is nothing to be done now to stop it.  We are past the mathematical point of no return.  Even if  we got the mythical magic pass phrase that would release the left from its self induced stupor and turn them into liberty loving patriots, what then? The economy is addicted to the crack-cocaine OPM  of govt spending - over 1/3 of current GDP. 1/2 of the people are receiving OPM as income or services.

The Neo-Keynesians are right that "austerity" is and will be disastrous for an economy in the short term.  Its disaster either way, so why not keep the lights on and the drinks flowing as long as you can? (yes the damage will be worse, but they will be on a private island by then.. so who cares)

Look at the places in Europe who have been forced to cut! Like  them, we simply don't have the time to do it slower. Its cold turkey or nothing. The titanic is too big to turn before we hit the iceberg. Get to the lifeboats ( or build your own) while everyone still thinks the ship is unsinkable and the band is still playing. At this point we don't want to alarm the sheep. We want them drowning in icy cold water when the time comes, and I am sure we will have lots of opportunities to use blunt objects while defending our lifeboats.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 07:51:34 AM »
I prefer a good laugh at their expense. I use their own methods,short, snarky and ridiculous statements in no particular order.

I've found a new way to poke a stick into the monkey cage.  If a tard calls you a teabagger, respond with carpet muncher.  Stand back, and watch the mayhem!

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 07:59:13 AM »
Weisshaup said:  Look at the places in Europe who have been forced to cut! Like  them, we simply don't have the time to do it slower. Its cold turkey or nothing. The titanic is too big to turn before we hit the iceberg. Get to the lifeboats ( or build your own) while everyone still thinks the ship is unsinkable and the band is still playing. At this point we don't want to alarm the sheep. We want them drowning in icy cold water when the time comes, and I am sure we will have lots of opportunities to use blunt objects while defending our lifeboats.

I say we've already hit the iceberg and we're taking on water. Obama and his acolytes have just started the engine and moved toward toward port but that pressure of giving away OPM against the hull has forced the water in at a greater rate thus pushing up the point of which sinking will come. 20 million additional food stamp recipients millions more on disability and spigots(Odisastercare) were tuned on to level the ship but nobody has turned on the pumps to push the water out of the doomed ship. It was decided that only 16 lifeboats were enough for the unsinkable vessel so now only the super rich will survive the disaster as their own fortunes appointed lifeboats will save them.

The ship was designed good but compromised with substandard parts becasue they were cheaper(rivets(everyone deserves something to fall back on) with to much sulfur made them brittle and so they've been snapping when the pressure got to great. The band on deck continues to play keeping everyone in good cheer but he impeding doom is coming.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.