Author Topic: What American Accent Do You Have?  (Read 1003 times)

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
What American Accent Do You Have?
« on: October 28, 2013, 10:54:57 AM »
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: What American Accent Do You Have?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 11:35:21 AM »
Inland North - 86%

I guess my travels have contaminated my speech!

Damn foreigners!

;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 12:06:44 PM »
I'm from the south. Unfortunately they didn't have a coon-ass version.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 12:11:14 PM »
Haven't taken the quiz yet, but as one who walks the dawg and drinks cawfee, whaddaya think?

eta:  Okay, took the quiz and while the result is correct, "The Northeast", their breakdown is questionable.  Philadelphians and the nearby Jersey towns/cities sound different from North and South Jersey, and mid to South Jersey doesn't sound like New York. 

Philly says "spewn" for "spoon" and "awn" is "on"; I can hear 'em coming a mile away.  Oh, and they're big unionistas, so there's already a good reason to despise them.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 12:20:17 PM by Pandora »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 12:23:55 PM »
95% Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 12:27:50 PM »
Where's Robin to chastise the test about "aboot" not being an option?    ;D

Inland North - 85%

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 12:47:15 PM »
88% midland

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 01:12:06 PM »
92% South.

This stuff is misleading though because accents aren't monolithic things. There's no singular Southern accent, just like there's no singular British accent, or any accent for that matter. I notice it on The Walking Dead. The actors do a pretty good job overall at their accents, but some of it sounds more South Georgia than the North Georgia setting. In South Georgia and North Florida you start getting that "ight" pronounced "aaht" and I hear that on the show.

Interesting that several of the actors on the show are British. British people can do a more convincing Southern accent than most non-Southern Americans IMO. Linguistically Southern American English is closer to British English than are other American dialects. People in coastal NC have been studied because the local dialects have preserved elements of 17th/18th century British English. Pretty interesting stuff.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Tania513

• Likes the place
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 01:14:33 PM »
well I was 80% inland north, and 73% northeast. Though I am hard of hearing, and my parents have 95% British accent, who knows? ;D

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 01:15:13 PM »
90% midland
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Septugenarian

• A Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 01:25:50 PM »
I confounded them.  As a young child, when I was gaining proficiency in the English language (Finnish is my first language) I was regularly exposed to, and influenced by, an aunt who was born in Finland, learned English in England, and my uncle met and married in Australia.   ;D
I'm entitled (to be cranky).

RickZ

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 01:37:07 PM »
Inland North (whatever the hell that is) 85%.  The Midland 80%.

Funny, two places I've never been (I don't think flying to South Bend for an overnighter, no not a football game, counts).

A question not asked but very pertinent on the coasts:  'llame'.  Does the 'll' sound like:

a) L
b) Y
c) ZH
d) I didn't press '2' for Spanish

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 02:02:40 PM »

Well, as one who scored 100% Inland North, I would surmise that you probably sound a little bit like a Minnesotan.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

RickZ

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 02:11:13 PM »

Well, as one who scored 100% Inland North, I would surmise that you probably sound a little bit like a Minnesotan.

I'm told I sound like nobody, unless I try.  In college, I did radio and was told I have the face voice for it.  Now stick me in Nah'luns for a week and I'll definitely be giving a 'Mornin' darrlin'.  Hower you?' greeting.

I grew up in the coastal South, about as far away from the 'inland north' as possible.  So my fall back accent is Suth'n.  Unless I'm having a cup of kwahffee.

I pick up regional accents when I travel, a blank slate who tries to fit in, so to speak.  You get better food and liquor service if you speak the lingo dialect.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 03:38:45 PM »
Midland 95%

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 03:54:37 PM »
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."