Author Topic: Do you remember when........  (Read 1782 times)

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
Do you remember when........
« on: October 30, 2013, 02:23:05 PM »
DO YOU REMEMBER WHEN...? All the girls had ugly gym uniforms?

It took five minutes for the TV warm up?

Nearly everyone's Mom was at home when the kids got home from school?

When a quarter was a decent allowance?

You'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny?

Your Mom wore nylons that came in two pieces?

All your male teachers wore neckties and female teachers had their hair done every day and wore high heels?

You got your windshield cleaned, oil checked, and gas pumped, without asking, all for free, every time? And you didn't pay for air? And, you got trading stamps to boot?

Laundry detergent had free glasses, dishes or towels hidden inside the box?

It was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at a real restaurant with your parents?

They threatened to keep kids back a grade if they failed... and they did?

When a 57 Chevy was everyone's dream car...to cruise, peel out, or watch submarine races, and people went steady?

No one ever asked where the car keys were because they were always in the car, in the ignition, and the doors were never locked?

Stuff from the store came without safety caps and hermetic seals because no one had yet tried to poison a perfect stranger?

And with all our progress, don't you just wish, just once, you could slip back in time and savor the slower pace, and share it with the children of today?

When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited the student at home?

Basically we were in fear for our lives, but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc. Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat! But we survived because their love was greater than the threat.

Can you still remember Laurel and Hardy, Howdy Dowdy and the Peanut Gallery, the Lone Ranger, The Shadow Knows, Nellie Bell, Roy and Dale, Trigger and Buttermilk? Silver?

I double dog dare you to pass this on. To remember what a double dog dare is, read on. And remember that the perfect age is somewhere between old enough to know better and too young to care.

How many of these do you remember?

Candy cigarettes

Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water inside

Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles

Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes

Blackjack, Clove and Teaberry chewing gum

Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers

Newsreels before the movie

P.F Fliers

Telephone numbers with a word prefix...(Raymond 4-601). Party lines

Hi-Fi's

45 RPM records

78 RPM records

Green Stamps

Metal ice cubes trays with levers

Roller-skate keys

Cork pop guns

Studebakers

Washtub wringers

Erector Sets

15-cent McDonald hamburgers

5-cent packs of baseball cards - with that awful pink slab of bubble gum

Penny candy

25-cent a gallon gasoline

Do you remember a time when...

'Race issue' meant arguing about who ran the fastest?

Catching the fireflies could happily occupy an entire evening?

The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was 'cooties'?

Having a weapon in school meant being caught with a slingshot?

'Oly-oly-oxen-free' made perfect sense?

Spinning around, getting dizzy, and falling down was cause for the giggles?

The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team?

Baseball cards in the spokes that transformed any bike into a motorcycle?

Taking drugs meant orange-flavored chewable aspirin?

Water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

If you can remember most or all of these, then you have lived!!!!!!!

The Statler Brothers - Do You Remember These ?--(Orvsha)

The Statler Brothers - The Class of 57 --(Orvsha)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 02:30:13 PM by oldcoastie6468 »
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: Do you remember when........
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 03:38:42 PM »

Candy cigarettes      YES

Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water inside   YES

Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles   MAYBE (I think I saw a few times)

Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes   NOPE

Blackjack, Clove and Teaberry chewing gum   NOPE but you can still buy them

Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers  NOT REALLY (Mom says we got delivery but I don't remember it)

Newsreels before the movie    NOPE

P.F Fliers    ?

Telephone numbers with a word prefix...(Raymond 4-601). Party lines   NO but my grandparents in SC had it until mid-1960's

Hi-Fi's  ?

45 RPM records   YEP

78 RPM records    Not really

Green Stamps   Barely

Metal ice cubes trays with levers   yes, hated

Roller-skate keys    yes

Cork pop guns   no

Studebakers    no

Washtub wringers    no but grandma had one on her back porch in SC

Erector Sets   no

15-cent McDonald hamburgers   no

5-cent packs of baseball cards - with that awful pink slab of bubble gum   no

Penny candy   I think it was 10 cents when I was a kid

25-cent a gallon gasoline   no

'Race issue' meant arguing about who ran the fastest?

Catching the fireflies could happily occupy an entire evening?  YES!

The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was 'cooties'?   yep

Having a weapon in school meant being caught with a slingshot?

'Oly-oly-oxen-free' made perfect sense?   yes

Spinning around, getting dizzy, and falling down was cause for the giggles?  and a trip to the bathroom to throw up

The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team?  We actually played dodge ball!

Baseball cards in the spokes that transformed any bike into a motorcycle? yep

Taking drugs meant orange-flavored chewable aspirin?  St Joseph's children's aspirin  :)

Water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

If you can remember most or all of these, then you have lived!!!!!!!

I got a dime for an allowance.  And a quarter from the tooth fairy.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

RickZ

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 03:49:01 PM »
I got a dollar from the 'tooth fairy'.  That's because my Mom waved a dollar bill over my face while she pulled out my loose baby teeth with a pair of rusty pliers.  (Rusty metal and iron rich blood make a tasty treat.////////////)

I told my cousins that and they didn't believe me.  Once while visiting, one of those cousins had a loose baby tooth.  My Mom volunteered to pull it out.  Yep, you guessed it, rusty pliers.  They never again thought my stories were tall tales.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 04:02:12 PM »
All the girls had ugly gym uniforms?  And were they uuuuuggglllyyyyy!  Short, belted dresses with pantaloons for
                                                                          underneath.  No joke. 

It took five minutes for the TV warm up?  Yes.  Our new one takes a minute; next time we'll get one with Instant-On.

Your Mom wore nylons that came in two pieces?  Yes.

Stuff from the store came without safety caps and hermetic seals because no one had yet tried to poison a perfect stranger?  Yes.

Candy cigarettes    And pink, green and yellow bubblegum cigars.

Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water inside    Yes.

Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles  Yes.

Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes    And diners with them.

Blackjack, Clove and Teaberry chewing gum    Liked Teaberry and Blackjack.

Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers   No.

Newsreels before the movie    No.

P.F Fliers  (Sneakers)   Yes

Telephone numbers with a word prefix...(Raymond 4-601). Party lines  Yes.

Hi-Fi's  (High Fidelity, LV - state of the art record players at the time)  Yes

45 RPM records  Of course.

78 RPM records  Yes.

Green Stamps   My job to paste 'em in the books.

Metal ice cubes trays with levers  Yes.

Roller-skate keys  Yes.  I also remember when power drills came with chock-keys.

Cork pop guns  No.

Studebakers   No.

Washtub wringers  My Nana had one.

Erector Sets  Always wanted one; never got it.

15-cent McDonald hamburgers   No, quarter, I think.

5-cent packs of baseball cards - with that awful pink slab of bubble gum   Heyyyy, I liked that gum.

Penny candy  No.

25-cent a gallon gasoline   No.

'Race issue' meant arguing about who ran the fastest?  Yes, and I miss it.

Catching the fireflies could happily occupy an entire evening?  Yes.

The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was 'cooties'?  Yes.

Having a weapon in school meant being caught with a slingshot?  Yes.

'Oly-oly-oxen-free' made perfect sense?  Yes.

Spinning around, getting dizzy, and falling down was cause for the giggles?  Never did it.

The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team?  Yes.

Baseball cards in the spokes that transformed any bike into a motorcycle?  Yes.

Taking drugs meant orange-flavored chewable aspirin?  Yes, also St. Joseph's; and nose drops and vitamins in a dropper.

Water balloons were the ultimate weapon?  Was NOT allowed.

If you can remember most or all of these, then you have lived!!!!!!!  Yep, and now I'm two days older'n dirt.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 04:04:38 PM »
Nearly everyone's Mom was at home when the kids got home from school?

Yep. And my wife did it for our boys.

You got your windshield cleaned, oil checked, and gas pumped, without asking, all for free, every time? And you didn't pay for air? And, you got trading stamps to boot?

I was a grease monkey in HS. I was the punk doing that to your car.

When a 57 Chevy was everyone's dream car...

Still is....

And I remember most of the other ones, too. Damn. Now I feel old.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 04:07:27 PM »
Yep, and now I'm two days older'n dirt.

It's amazing but I'm not!   ::danceban:: ::bustamove:: ::danceban:: 

I don't know how I do it!  ;D
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 04:08:52 PM »
Smarty pants.   ;)
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 05:21:50 PM »
I guess I'm just too wet behind the ears. The only thing on that list I do remember well are candy cigarettes.

It's amazing how people act like something could be such a scourge and danger to children when your own memories hearken back to a time when nobody thought anything about it at all -- and somehow it didn't become a gateway to childhood tobacco use.

Actually I do remember 45 RPM records too. When I was in 1st grade I had 45 RPM singles of "Our House" by Madness and "Mr. Roboto" by Styx. Those were my first musical acquisitions.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 05:48:02 PM »
Actually I do remember 45 RPM records too. When I was in 1st grade I had 45 RPM singles of "Our House" by Madness and "Mr. Roboto" by Styx. Those were my first musical acquisitions.

Holy heck. I had moved on to cassette tapes LONG before that!
 ::hysterical::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 07:51:18 PM »
Long ago I dumped all of my cassettes, but I still have a stack of 45s about 2' tall, and a LOT of old LPs. I should get rid of them.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 10:17:35 PM »
When a 57 Chevy was everyone's dream car...

My first car.
The pinnacle of American automotive achievement

Oh!
And I remember most everything on the list except home milk delivery.

We had ours delivered by Bossy the Cow twice a day.
Every day.
7 days a week
365 days a year

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 11:24:42 PM »

My first acquisition was the "HELP" LP by The Beatles and a 45RPM of "Magic Carpet Ride" by Steppenwolf. I was nine years old at the time. I later got a 45 of "Hey Jude" by The Beatles. And then the "Abbey Road" LP.

During those days my tech toy was a Sony AM radio that was about the size of a pack of cigarettes that had a single earphone. And, believe it or not, I still have that radio. I always took great care of my things so it is still in near mint condition with the original leather carrying case and, yes, even the owner's manual. I must have thrown away the box.

As for the other things on the list...

DO YOU REMEMBER WHEN...? All the girls had ugly gym uniforms? We never had coed gym class so, no, not really.

It took five minutes for the TV warm up? Yes. We didn't even get a color television until 1972.

Nearly everyone's Mom was at home when the kids got home from school? My mother was always at home. We always had a home cooked meal.

When a quarter was a decent allowance? Yes.

You'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny? I can honestly say that I never did. But I might have.

Your Mom wore nylons that came in two pieces? She might have but I never knew.

All your male teachers wore neckties and female teachers had their hair done every day and wore high heels? Yes.

You got your windshield cleaned, oil checked, and gas pumped, without asking, all for free, every time? And you didn't pay for air? And, you got trading stamps to boot? I remember all of that but as a kid. My mother got stuff using S&H Greenstamps she got from the grocery store.

Laundry detergent had free glasses, dishes or towels hidden inside the box? I remember it sort of...but it wasn't a part of my life so not really.

It was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at a real restaurant with your parents? Yes, absolutely.

They threatened to keep kids back a grade if they failed... and they did? Yes, and those kids were total dicks to everyone in the class because they were bigger and stupid and mean.

When a 57 Chevy was everyone's dream car...to cruise, peel out, or watch submarine races, and people went steady? That was before my time. My first car purchased used was a 1969 Firebird.

No one ever asked where the car keys were because they were always in the car, in the ignition, and the doors were never locked? Not when I was a kid but I live somewhere now where I can do that and I do.

Stuff from the store came without safety caps and hermetic seals because no one had yet tried to poison a perfect stranger? I remember the pre-Tylenol poisoning days quite well.

And with all our progress, don't you just wish, just once, you could slip back in time and savor the slower pace, and share it with the children of today? No. The "good old days" sucked in too many ways.

When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited the student at home? No, actually it wasn't. I got the crap beaten out of me by the vice principal. He used a bat that had holed drilled in it to increase its power upon striking me in the ass. It seriously hurt and there was nothing even vaguely approaching that level of pain at home.

Basically we were in fear for our lives, but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc. Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat! But we survived because their love was greater than the threat. Not really. Not for me.

Can you still remember Laurel and Hardy, Howdy Dowdy and the Peanut Gallery, the Lone Ranger, The Shadow Knows, Nellie Bell, Roy and Dale, Trigger and Buttermilk? Silver? No. Before my time by at least a decade.

I double dog dare you to pass this on. To remember what a double dog dare is, read on. And remember that the perfect age is somewhere between old enough to know better and too young to care.

Candy cigarettes Yes. They were stupid and tasted awful.

Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water inside Yes. They were horrid.

Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles Yes.

Coffee shops with table side jukeboxes Absolutely.

Blackjack, Clove and Teaberry chewing gum No. I hated gum.

Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers When I was very young, yes.

Newsreels before the movie No. But I remember cartoons before movies.

P.F Fliers They ran ads on tv that promised they could make a kid run faster. They lied.

Telephone numbers with a word prefix...(Raymond 4-601). Party lines No.

Hi-Fi's My dad always had one. The first one I remember he built himself and it had tubes. I got my first one in the early seventies. It was a Sony. 15 watts per channel. Not a lot of power.

45 RPM records Yes.

78 RPM records No.

Green Stamps Yes.

Metal ice cubes trays with levers We had them.

Roller-skate keys No...never roller skated until the 1970s and they didn't have them then.

Cork pop guns Seen but never used. I had a Daisy BB gun and got into a lot of trouble with it.

Studebakers Nope.

Washtub wringers My grandmother had one and I ran my brother's arm through it. I got into a lot of trouble over that one.

Erector Sets Seen but I didn't have one.

15-cent McDonald hamburgers Yes but we almost never ate out and never there.

5-cent packs of baseball cards - with that awful pink slab of bubble gum. I had several shoe boxes of the things which was strange because I didn't really get into baseball until I was in my teens. I am pretty sure that my mother sold all of them at a garage sale for a few bucks. Thanks, mom.

Penny candy Yes.

25-cent a gallon gasoline I remember "gas wars." Yeah, those were the days.

'Race issue' meant arguing about who ran the fastest? That wasn't what we called it but I get it.

Catching the fireflies could happily occupy an entire evening? I did that once.

The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was 'cooties'? I remember that but being a serious child I thought it was stupid.

Having a weapon in school meant being caught with a slingshot? Heck, we MADE weapons in shop class.

'Oly-oly-oxen-free' made perfect sense? I played many a game of "kick the can" but that word never passed my lips.

Spinning around, getting dizzy, and falling down was cause for the giggles? Yes.

The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team? Yes.

Baseball cards in the spokes that transformed any bike into a motorcycle? I did that.

Taking drugs meant orange-flavored chewable aspirin? No, but smoking pot did.

Water balloons were the ultimate weapon? Actually, we did that in our teens but we modified it a bit. We had a Chevy van and set up a giant slingshot using surgical tubing and the frame of the van's side door. You could drive up right next to someone, slide open the door and literally knock them off of their feet (or off of a bicycle) with a well placed shot. That setup was later taken to college and used with a dorm window to target people in the quad from three stories up.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 11:31:59 PM »
We got our first color tv in the fall of 1974.  By the time my dad got it set up (I don't know what he did --all he had to do was plug it in--maybe it was the rabbit ears?) The Rockford Files was on and I was absolutely fascinated by seeing it all in color.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 11:34:51 PM »
I remember watching these guys on tv when I was a kid. Do you know (or remember) who they were without peaking?

Do you remember watching "The Flintstones" during its first run? Do you remember that it was in prime time? Or "Batman" during its first run when they would splash "In Color" on the screen during the opening?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 11:39:10 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 11:38:50 PM »
Don't know.

I learned a lot by watching Johnny Carson in the 70's when I should have been in bed.  I'd sneak down to the basement after I was sure everyone was asleep.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 11:41:49 PM »
Don't know.

I learned a lot by watching Johnny Carson in the 70's when I should have been in bed.  I'd sneak down to the basement after I was sure everyone was asleep.

Fact: He patented the first implantable mechanical artificial heart.

More...

Do you remember watching "Felix The Cat" when it was a first run?

Do you remember watching "Dark Shadows?"

Do you remember when you first saw Kermit the Frog and it wasn't on "The Muppet Show?"

Do you remember "camping out" for concert tickets? Usually sold at a record store...had to guess which store would have the best tickets. Later sold at department stores like (where I lived at the time) "Foleys."

Do you remember midnight movies being "a thing" and you would always see your friends there? "Rocky Horror Picture Show" or "Night of the Living Dead" or some other such "cult classic?"

Do you remember watching the Watergate hearings on tv?

Do you remember Spiro Agnew wrist watches?

Do you remember when WTBS was a "superstation" and wondered to yourself what it was about broadcasting reruns and Braves games that made it a "superstation?"

Do you remember "The Beatles" as an animated cartoon series on tv? It was stupid and silly but it had one of their songs in each episode which was cool.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 11:57:48 PM by trapeze »

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 11:51:36 PM »
Jerry Mahoney.  The names of the puppets are juuuust on the tip of my .... brain .... but I can't fish 'em out.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2013, 11:53:47 PM »
Jerry Mahoney.  The names of the puppets are juuuust on the tip of my .... brain .... but I can't fish 'em out.

Good try. The dummies were Jerry Mahoney and Knucklehead. The ventriloquist was Paul Winchell. Entertainer, inventor and humanitarian. It's a crime that he is largely forgotten these days.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2013, 11:54:30 PM »
I heard about Dark Shadows.  I heard about a lot of stuff via Carson but much of it was before my time or didn't interest me. All I know about Dark Shadows is that Kate Jackson was on it.

My parents watched Lawrence Welk and Hee Haw.  I watched Dean Martin Roasts. I must have been a weird kid.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2013, 12:02:29 AM »
I watched the Dean Martin Show ......"goin' to the couch now ...... ".