Author Topic: It's coming..........  (Read 33635 times)

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
Re: It's coming..........
« Reply #220 on: January 03, 2014, 07:57:48 AM »
And lows in the -20's, before wind chill.  -30 to -60 with the wind chill.

Coldest since 1996, when state records fell, in this part of the country.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #221 on: January 03, 2014, 11:09:04 AM »
Nine more inches of snow forecasted for tomorrow night. Oh, goody.....
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #222 on: January 03, 2014, 11:28:14 AM »
Sleep is overrated, eh?  Snow only last for what, 8 months?   ;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #223 on: January 03, 2014, 12:36:15 PM »
Our Governor Retard just canceled school for Monday due to cold.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #224 on: January 03, 2014, 03:18:28 PM »
Our Governor Retard just canceled school for Monday due to cold.

In NC snow requires absolutely perfect timing of cold air colliding with a storm system (unless you're in the mountains, where snow is common and can occur without an associated storm system). Usually the two ingredients defeat each other, i.e. the cold front pushes the moisture away or the moisture drags too much Gulf warmth with it and ends up as rain.

So my childhood involved much anxiety over the potential for school closures, and the Negative Forces Arrayed Against MeTM would so often quash my hopes of a snow day. Many a night into early morning I would keep looking outside, watching the daybreak news on TV for announced school closings, only to get yet another "So here's what happened" (more like what didn't happen) story from the weatherman. Usually they'd throw in a little snippet of news about how tantalizingly close it had come, with kids a county or two away enjoying a merciful respite from school that day. But not for me!

I still get annoyed when school closings fail to materialize, even all these years later. I guess some stuff just gets ingrained in you in childhood.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #225 on: January 03, 2014, 05:54:23 PM »
Okay y'all - why the hell do ya' think I moved from the north.  Just heard on the weather --- it's started today and by Monday AM we are expecting temps to be MINUS 10 degrees and with wind chill, who knows.  Birmingham, Alabama ain't ready for that stuff you got up there -- keep it.  Glad I have off Monday, fireplace and coffee pot gonna get a work out.   ::oldman:: ::falldownshocked::
They also said we could get a "dusting" of snow, at least it should only be 1/2 -1 inch ---
{ya I know y'all got lots more}, but with the hills and curves thru the mountains - well - what mother nature puts here, this transplant will let her it take away. ::speechless::
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #226 on: January 04, 2014, 11:32:28 AM »
Bump this weather thread:

They are calling for a Polar Vortex. Well, they are not calling for it, they are predicting it.

Hows come, Obama doesn't call it off. He was able to lower the seas to prevent flooding. I thought he loved the people up in the NorthEast?
TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #227 on: January 04, 2014, 11:40:57 AM »
Yes, polar vortex...swell name, eh? 

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20140104/DAB3UT982.html

Yes, Gov Goofy...overriding many a young child's "Negative Forces Arrayed Against MeTM" fears and granting their greatest wish!

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/01/03/record-breaking-cold-temps-in-northern-minnesota/

Back in my day it took close to 2 feet of snow and/or -20oF temps or worse (temp, no windchill factor!) to even get a partial closing.  And then it was back home uphill again in deep numbing snow...

For some the cold weather provides a Darwin Award moment...

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2014/01/03/crews-battle-fire-in-marion-township/

::facepalm::

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #228 on: January 04, 2014, 11:52:34 AM »
Here ya go, Rusty. Take a bite outta this one!

Saturday
Scattered flurries and snow showers. High 32F. Winds SW at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of snow 30%.

Saturday Night
Cloudy with snow. Low 22F. Winds WNW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of snow 90%. 3 to 5 inches of snow expected.

Sunday
Snow likely. High 12F. Winds N at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of snow 90%. Snow accumulating 5 to 8 inches.

Sunday Night
Mostly cloudy. Low around -15F. Winds NW at 20 to 30 mph.

Monday
A mix of clouds and sun in the morning followed by cloudy skies during the afternoon. High -14F. Winds W at 20 to 30 mph.

Monday Night
A few clouds. Low -19F. Winds W at 15 to 25 mph.

Tuesday
Generally sunny despite a few afternoon clouds. High 2F. Winds WSW at 10 to 20 mph.

Tuesday Night
Partly cloudy skies. Low -2F. Winds SSW at 10 to 15 mph.

Another 8 to 13 inches on top of what we already have?

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #229 on: January 04, 2014, 01:55:36 PM »
CG6468 - Just one more example of why I moved.  The three this I gave away first - two snow shovels and my snow blower.  It was a tough life getting use to golf on Thanksgiving morning and bass fishing Christmas afternoon, but somebody had to do it.  Now this year the fireplace is getting a work out and we are on the third pot of coffee, it's now all the way up to 33.  One more degree and that will be the high predicted, then it's downhill to MINUS 10, so like I said earlier - so  ::thinking:: you can keep this cold weather stuff, I like WARM.
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #230 on: January 04, 2014, 07:28:44 PM »
Today in Nashville it was a pleasant 42 degrees......but calling for snow and near zero temps by Sunday evening.......and guess what, school is already called off.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #231 on: January 04, 2014, 09:48:01 PM »
Rusty, what you want is not necessarily what you get.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #232 on: January 05, 2014, 08:54:27 AM »
Plowed another 5" just now. This PM the storm is supposed to hit us! I'm running out of places to put it!

Offline Tania513

• Likes the place
« Reply #233 on: January 05, 2014, 09:59:24 AM »
Well , we finally got the 1st Nor'easter of the year. Lots of snow, and sub 0 below temps....the water pump broke. ugga!!! ::pullhair:: ::pullhair::...They are here now fixing it. Jingles is looking outside, curious of the unusual activity.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #234 on: January 05, 2014, 11:26:44 AM »
Nippy -5 right now in Minnie...headed to an overnight of -24.

I'll sure be happy when this snap is over....

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #235 on: January 05, 2014, 07:07:03 PM »
Just came in from plowing another 7". 3.25 hours today. The storm's done, and so am I. But the wind doth blow at 30 MPH, and tomorrow morning there will be more drifts to clear away.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #236 on: January 05, 2014, 10:50:30 PM »
Man.....it was almost 50 degrees all day and it dropped to 10 in less than 45 minutes. High is supposed to be 4 tomorrow. I know most of you have much worse weather, but this is cold for Tennessee.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #237 on: January 06, 2014, 06:21:13 AM »
It's 29* here! WTF?????? I live in a sub-tropical climate. What's wrong with this picture?
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #238 on: January 06, 2014, 06:28:26 AM »
I'd be tickled pink if it was 29!  It was -23 not long ago, -20 right now...this  ::cussing:: hurts to be in!

I think the polar vortex game me a bad case of polaroids!

::cussing::

ETA - Holy  ::cussing:: !  It really does swirl!

http://www.weather.gov/satellite
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 07:10:45 AM by Libertas »

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #239 on: January 06, 2014, 07:52:07 AM »
I just came in from 1 hour of plowing the 18" drifts. (In the -12oF temperature.) But the temps are supposed to drop all friggin' day, and that's why I went out so early.

My John Deere has been sold into slavery.....