Author Topic: It's coming..........  (Read 33464 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: It's coming..........
« Reply #320 on: January 28, 2014, 06:05:33 PM »
Well hey, you just might be able to do some snowmachining and ice fishing there!  I expect y'all not outfitted for such antics though...

Just fire up the stove and hunker down, it'll pass...   I think it'll pass!

Depends what you mean by "outfitted".

::thinking::

No snowmobile I bet, but maybe some snowshoes?  No ice fishing gear like we have up here (augers, tip ups etc) but anything that can make a hole in ice and drop a line I betchya got.  Prolly got some warm clothes and foot gear.  I gotta be close, eh?

No snowshoes, but we have the warm clothes and the mucklucks.  Got the workings for makeshift drop-a-line stuff, too.  If we had to get into the ice, I imagine we could do that as well.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #321 on: January 28, 2014, 08:05:57 PM »
The South does get comical when there is any sort of winter precipitation. But it's not entirely baseless for a number of reasons. Most states, cities, and counties in the South have little to no snow removal or road treatment equipment. There's no sense in spending all that money on something that would get used once per decade. So when it does snow the roads can remain treacherous.

The type of snow in the South is rather different too. The temperatures are warmer, much closer to the freezing point, so the snow tends to be very wet and heavy. I've driven in both, and the drier snow in cold climates is easier to navigate than the heavy slush we usually get here.

All of this combines to offer dumbassedness extra opportunities to reveal itself.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #322 on: January 29, 2014, 06:40:09 AM »
Well hey, you just might be able to do some snowmachining and ice fishing there!  I expect y'all not outfitted for such antics though...

Just fire up the stove and hunker down, it'll pass...   I think it'll pass!

Depends what you mean by "outfitted".

::thinking::

No snowmobile I bet, but maybe some snowshoes?  No ice fishing gear like we have up here (augers, tip ups etc) but anything that can make a hole in ice and drop a line I betchya got.  Prolly got some warm clothes and foot gear.  I gotta be close, eh?

No snowshoes, but we have the warm clothes and the mucklucks.  Got the workings for makeshift drop-a-line stuff, too.  If we had to get into the ice, I imagine we could do that as well.

I bet in pinch gunsmith could whip something up, if that white stuff stuck around for any length of time to make it worthwhile that is.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #323 on: January 29, 2014, 06:48:06 AM »
The South does get comical when there is any sort of winter precipitation. But it's not entirely baseless for a number of reasons. Most states, cities, and counties in the South have little to no snow removal or road treatment equipment. There's no sense in spending all that money on something that would get used once per decade. So when it does snow the roads can remain treacherous.

The type of snow in the South is rather different too. The temperatures are warmer, much closer to the freezing point, so the snow tends to be very wet and heavy. I've driven in both, and the drier snow in cold climates is easier to navigate than the heavy slush we usually get here.

All of this combines to offer dumbassedness extra opportunities to reveal itself.

A common theme for most sourthern states until you get further west.  But they have to have road graders, that'll do for clearing main drags I expect.  And yes, the fluffy stuff is easier to drive in, but can compact quickly into ice if packed down by traffic if not plowed away in a timely fashion, the wet heavy stuff is just so water saturated it is hard to get any traction (unless you let some air outta your tires) and then the clear spots of road are probably puddles so its slip, slide and hydroplane.  But the wet stuff usually melts off quick, that is the kind of snow we typically get in March and April, unless you get a lot of it at once it is actually not that bad.

Only -8 this morning here, but the "black ice" still a problem.  Not so much for me and my all-wheel critter, but I did feel a little wiggle on one bridgedeck.  For some reason even in these parts the concept of NOT driving on the black ice (go left or right of it!) seems to elude too many folks.  Still have some of the same spots experiencing wipe outs this morning and people going off into ditches...not as many as yesterday, but still...

Gotta be imports...

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #324 on: January 29, 2014, 08:05:02 AM »
Look like today will be the warmest for the next 10 days, at 25

Here's the depressing string of numbers

25,19,6,15,11,10,11,2,8,13  Daytime
19,-13,0,-7,-2,-5,-7,-7,-2,2  Nights

It's not so much the extremes.  It's the consistency of the cold, this year.  We haven't had a good thaw since Thanksgiving.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #325 on: January 29, 2014, 08:07:28 AM »
9 degrees this morning in Jefferson county, AL according to TV weather geeks.  Wish I didn't give away my ice skates when I moved from MI almost 30 years ago, because the entire county is an ice rink, cars everywhere.  They are saying it won't get above freezing until later today or may tomorrow so the ice stays.  The only thing the county can do is sand the roads and then only the interstates, so we wait for nature.  Wife made it to daughters and spent the night, another log on the fire and coffee is going, haven't lost power yet so camping in my own house.   ::oldman::
Many school kids had to stay at school all night because their folks couldn't get them.  Our church has day care, pre-school and kindergarden for about 400 kids daily and 8 had to stay there, 3 teachers stayed with them, luckily we have a kitchen. gym, they also showed some movies.  We also have cots and blankets, so they were not in any danger.
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #326 on: January 29, 2014, 09:31:39 AM »
20 here today and 30 tomorrow. Temporarily.

Then more snow then a cold blast again.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #327 on: January 29, 2014, 03:31:31 PM »

Is your fireplace lit? If so would you post a picture of it,please.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #328 on: January 29, 2014, 10:37:26 PM »

Is your fireplace lit? If so would you post a picture of it,please.

Don't think I have a photo of it lit. I'll look around, or take one and post it.

Now it's supposed to snow tomorrow afternoon, Friday, and Saturday. Total of about 8". We have about a foot on the ground.

I'm glad my buddy with the 4x4 with the plow knocked back the plowed snow on the edges of my and my neighbor's driveways. Now I can plow the new white shytt again with no probs.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #329 on: January 30, 2014, 07:38:48 AM »
Commute was hell this morning.  Supposed to get 2-5" (nice range there, weathernerds!) before it ends, I just hope roads are clear for the return trip...those white knuckle yahoos really are a danger! 

::pullhair::

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #330 on: January 30, 2014, 09:33:12 AM »
On Saturday we're supposed to get another 6"+.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #331 on: January 31, 2014, 10:19:17 AM »
About 6 1/2" officially. 

16" on the ground, now.  That's quite a bit, considering that yesterday's snow is probably the biggest of the winter, so far.  Just so cold, so consistently, nothing is melting.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #332 on: January 31, 2014, 11:17:47 AM »
And just think MNHawk...and March is our historically heaviest snow month!  I can barely see out my garage now!

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #333 on: January 31, 2014, 01:05:30 PM »
REVISION: Winter Storm Warning tonight and tomorrow. 10" expected.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #334 on: January 31, 2014, 01:59:56 PM »
I hope y'all who don't like warm winters are happy.

::snoshovel::

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #335 on: January 31, 2014, 06:42:43 PM »

Our winter has warmed back up. I'm good. ::unknowncomic::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #336 on: January 31, 2014, 09:20:14 PM »

Been loving it. Fire ants should be good and dead.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #337 on: January 31, 2014, 09:49:56 PM »
We have been having an unusual winter here is south central CO. For one thing, until yesterday and today, there has been no snow since before Thanksgiving. But the really strange thing has been the warm temperatures. This has been the warmest January (and I do mean warm) since I moved here twenty years ago.

But yesterday it started to snow and it has continued through today and this evening. I am not a big fan of big snows* because I hate having to blow it or plow (or plough, if you prefer) it but I also know that if we do not get enough we will be facing another summer of huge fires. We are in a bad way in that area because about a zillion trees in the forest have been killed by insects. Rather than allowing them to be harvested for lumber or even firewood, the Forestry Service has chosen to let them stand because nature or something.

And fire is natural.

Organic. Whatevs...

So since the idiots who are in charge refuse to cut the deadwood down and remove it...we need lots of snow to at least slow down the inevitable fires that will come when lightning strikes the dead trees. But so far this winter we have not gotten much snow at all. There is still February, I guess. And some of March. But after that we will have to rely on rain. Which has lightning.

*Big snows for us are measured in feet, not inches. A typical snow where I live is anywhere from six to twelve inches. I don't even bother getting out the snow blower for anything less than five inches. A big snow is two, three, four or more feet. We usually get one of these a year. Sometimes two. People have to shovel their roofs in order to prevent structural failure because the building code here only plans for about two feet of snow on the roof. The problem that we have to deal with the most under these conditions is just where to put the stuff. Sometimes the snow plow can only clear one lane because there just isn't any room to shove the stuff to the side. I remember some years where there is a wall of snow running down the middle of main street where the snow has been shoved. It takes a day or two to pick it up with front end loaders and dump trucks. They usually haul it to the high school football field and dump it there. It can also be a real problem when livestock can literally walk over their fences and just go wherever they want. Winter craziness.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #338 on: February 01, 2014, 12:27:31 PM »
I spent just over 2 hours plowing 6" of heavy, wet snow this morning. I plow it because I don't want a ridge of ice and snow building up in the middle of the driveway that could take out an oil pan.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #339 on: February 03, 2014, 10:45:54 AM »
Bright & sunny, and 7oF now. Tomorrow it's supposed to be 23oF.

BUT - Tomorrow night a snow warning goes into effect, with about 8" by Wednesday afternoon. Then sunny and 26oF Thursday and Friday, in time for a forecast of an even worse snow storm Saturday night and Sunday, with about 12" additional snow predicted..

I'm REAL tired of this crap.