Author Topic: It's coming..........  (Read 33449 times)

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
Re: It's coming..........
« Reply #300 on: January 23, 2014, 11:12:20 AM »
+5oF out there. It was cold plowing the snow this morning.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #301 on: January 23, 2014, 12:44:31 PM »
It's -17 this morning and I feel fine.

Can anyone see my toes?
No and this is possibly because I'm near sighted and my time has all but expired on the spy-cams in orbit so.... Use a mirror if you have trouble bending your stiff muscles in your neck.

I'll kick a libiot in the ass, if I feel it where my toes are supposed to be I am fine...plus I get the pleasure of kicking a libiot.   ;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #302 on: January 24, 2014, 08:32:31 AM »
Come on folks - you yankees have a sense of humor.  I moved to get away from this cold sh*t years ago, making sure I got well below the Mason-Dixon line, but y'all keep sending your fun down here.  burrrrrrrrrr - 8:30 AM and it's only 16 degrees, this is the south---it's 'pose ta be warm.  This is not our idea of fun --
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #303 on: January 24, 2014, 11:50:15 AM »
That's purdy.

What's the question again?

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #304 on: January 24, 2014, 08:47:10 PM »
Come on folks - you yankees have a sense of humor.  I moved to get away from this cold sh*t years ago, making sure I got well below the Mason-Dixon line, but y'all keep sending your fun down here.  burrrrrrrrrr - 8:30 AM and it's only 16 degrees, this is the south---it's 'pose ta be warm.  This is not our idea of fun --

Never mind the cold weather, just be thankful we don't send any of the progtards from MD down there. The governor wants them to stay put, even the dead ones so you've lucked out. The conservatives in that state not so much.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #305 on: January 24, 2014, 10:09:47 PM »
There are 3 more inches out there. Not really a problem, but with the 30 MPH winds and higher gusts, it will drift like crazy.

My 91 year old neighbor's wife's sister died (she's 89), and they are going to the wake tomorrow about 0830. Their driveway drifts in really bad. So guess where I'll be.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #306 on: January 25, 2014, 09:28:23 AM »
Almost two hours plowing this morning. When it drifts, the snow really becomes compacted and heavy. It took me a LONG time to do my neighbor's driveway, but now they can get out and return with no problems. There's no way a car would have made it through the 24" drifts in their driveway.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #307 on: January 27, 2014, 07:07:09 AM »
The winds gusts of late have been impressive.

And normally I don't give much voice to "wind chill" or as the weather-nannies say "feels like" temps...I know when it is fricken cold!  And this morning it is cold...I call it face-breaking cold, cause it feels like if you try to open your mouth or move your face at all it will have parts just break off and fall to the ground.

FWIW: -17 (-42 WCF).

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #308 on: January 27, 2014, 07:20:31 AM »
-4oF this morning, with the temp falling all day to about -20oF tonight. Worse conditions for tomorrow.

I hope my neighbors don't have to go anywhere until Wednesday. High of 0oF tomorrow and +19oF Wednesday.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #309 on: January 27, 2014, 08:53:50 AM »
They were drifted in. And so were we.

Not any more, though.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #310 on: January 28, 2014, 06:30:53 AM »
-19 right now, wind has really died down, thankfully...but still face-breaking cold though.  They say by tomorrow afternoon this snap should be over...

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #311 on: January 28, 2014, 06:56:26 AM »
-13 here. Supposed to be the last day for the bitter cold.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #312 on: January 28, 2014, 07:11:58 AM »
It's cycling back 'round here in NC -- 25 degrees and snow expected this afternoon and evening, temps dropping to single digits tonight.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #313 on: January 28, 2014, 07:43:18 AM »
Well hey, you just might be able to do some snowmachining and ice fishing there!  I expect y'all not outfitted for such antics though...

Just fire up the stove and hunker down, it'll pass...   I think it'll pass!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #314 on: January 28, 2014, 09:27:39 AM »
Well hey, you just might be able to do some snowmachining and ice fishing there!  I expect y'all not outfitted for such antics though...

Depends what you mean by "outfitted".
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #315 on: January 28, 2014, 10:33:58 AM »
I got a guy from my American Legion post with a 4x4 pickemup and plow to come and knock down the piles of snow on our driveway and that of our neighbor.  ::thumbsup::

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #316 on: January 28, 2014, 10:44:43 AM »
Thanks alot - It's not coming --- It's here.  Nothing compared to y'all up in the frozen north- but in the last 1/2 hour we've gotten 1/2 inch or more and still coming down, schools closing, and the southern panic started.  Good thing is- got call and DON'T have to work today, Wife on her way home, another log on the fire and a fresh pot of coffee going.  With any more luck and I won't have to go in tomorrow at 6AM, if we get the 1`-3 inches predicted.   ::danceban:: ::whoohoo::
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #317 on: January 28, 2014, 11:46:57 AM »

Depends what you mean by "outfitted".

::thinking::

No snowmobile I bet, but maybe some snowshoes?  No ice fishing gear like we have up here (augers, tip ups etc) but anything that can make a hole in ice and drop a line I betchya got.  Prolly got some warm clothes and foot gear.  I gotta be close, eh?

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #318 on: January 28, 2014, 12:12:34 PM »
Just over one hour into this snow and the 'southern panic' is heavier than the snow.  Wife picked up grandson from school, over an hour ago, still isn't home yet- only just over 1 mile from school, and thats on the main road thru town - two traffic lights - talked to her and she said cars all over the place, + having to calm her down.  Told her once she gets grandson to home - stay there.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #319 on: January 28, 2014, 01:13:45 PM »

Just took picture of the cause of panic here, from front door.  Saw on TV, they have coverage all over the county, interstates are parking lots with people leaving cars and walking to anyplace warm, city street are now for bumper cars only.  Wife called and just got to daughters, accidents everywhere in town - over one and a half hours to go less than 7 miles.  They are not prepared for this down here, and admittedly I moved from it almost 30 years ago and don't like drive the hills and curves in this either.  Oh well fireplace is nice and about ready for more coffee.